Subject: YTSEJAM digest 461
From: email_address_removed
To: Multiple recipients of list <email_address_removed>

Contents:
Re: SIX O'CLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Brian Nielsen <email_address_removed.dk>)
 (email_address_removed.nl)
Re: Cynic, DT, rack (William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>)
Re: Just a Reminder (email_address_removed (Greg "Big Brother" Lee))
      more on Cynic... ("Doug Slauson" <email_address_removed>)
Fates Warning (email_address_removed.ca (William Kriski))
Re: Just a Reminder (email_address_removed)
bad traders (Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>)
Re: SHIRTS? (email_address_removed (Zack Gemmill))
Fates Warning?  Help! (Larry G Waterfield <email_address_removed>)
ytsejam moving next Sunday 7/24 (Ken Bibb <email_address_removed>)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 1994 10:24:30 +0200
From: Brian Nielsen <email_address_removed.dk>
Subject: Re: SIX O'CLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Garrett M Sanborne writes:

>	I only have their latest, parallels, but it's very good.  It's 
>somewhat similar to I&W, but ... it's hard to describe. It's similar in 
>the technical aspects, but it's a lot darker, more "ominous" if that 
>makes sense.  There's no keyboards, so that makes a difference.  Without 
>making to harsh a judgement, I'd say IMHO that they're nearly as good 
>musicians as DT.  I personally don't think they're AS good.  Parallels is 
>a little more mainstream in terms of song structure, I don't know about 
>the other albums.  Anyone heard the new one?  Is it out yet?
>

Fates Warnings newest 'Inside Out' is out in Denmark and probably the
rest of Europe, but americans have yet to wait a week or so (heh :)

Now, is it any good? Well, it's not that different from 'Parallels'
I'm afraid, but still better. I've only listened to it a couple of
times so my opinion may change. Musicwise it's a little more
progressive than 'Parallels' but still has mainstream song structure.
There's good parts in all songs, but some of them suffer from
choruses. I really can't stand long, boring choruses that are repeated
over and over again. Apart from that I think you should check it out
(maybe listen to it before you buy it).
Personally I like the pre-Parallels records better, not as much
mainstream song structure and a little more agressive (leave their
first 'Night of Brocken' out of this, it stinks!').

+------------------------------------------------+ 
| Brian Nielsen                                  |
| Department of Mathematics and Computer Science |
| Aalborg University, Denmark                    |
|                                                |
| email: email_address_removed.dk                      |
+------------------------------------------------+

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 1994 14:09:36 +0100 (MET)
From: email_address_removed.nl
Subject: 

unsubscribe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 1994 08:53:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Cynic, DT, rack

Excerpts from ytsejam: 17-Jul-94 Re: Cynic, DT, rack by email_address_removed 
> The alternation of clean fusion/death is interesting but the clean vocals
> are processed to make them sound 'computery' and are simple/similar, a far

because he's not trying to sound like james labrie (it's obvious, so
don't compare). he used the throat vibrator/synthesizer because he
killed his throat doing death metal vocals. if you listen to there first
demos, his vocals are pretty good for death vocals. I have a soundboard
concert bootleg recorded the next year and he sounds awful. same on the
rest of the demos.

> cry from JL.  They did an earlier version of 'Uroboric forms' (what?) on a
> compilation 'At Death's Door II' which was almost completely death and
> a highlight of that album - which is why I bought 'Focus'.  Their address
> is 'CYNIC, P.O. Box 430114 Miami, FL 33143'.  I like the drums.  The cover -
> well, what is the female equivalent of phallic???

um, i thought it was some kind of abstract art... i'll have to look again

>    Death ... anybody read the latest review in rec.whatever.thrash?  The
> guy describes a 'progressive death' band and says its not like DT because
> DT are 'EFFETE'.  (I find PMU heavier than most death - its the muting).

effete means infertile. btw, this guy is Christopher "sven prozak/d.e.v.
null" blanc, or, as i like to call him just to piss him off, CHRISTopher
(don't flame me. it's a joke)

i don't know. I like a couple death metal bands but only 2 or 3 come
anywhere near DT's level. for progressive death metal, cynic and death
seem to have the ability to write stuff like DT that is so hard to
comprehend, ie, time and key changes that seem to flow effortlessly. for
pure death metal, morbid angel does this pretty well, too. but nothing
comes close to DT and FW

sven has his own little, narrow view of music (i don't believe him when
he says he likes enya), but for a death metal fan his tastes are pretty
good. Dream Theater have a hell of a lot more creativity than any death
metal band (except possibly Death or Sentenced. flame if you want, max)
and he knows it and admits it. that's why he calls them cheese metal.
because they are better than his precious death (obscure reference to
all girl glam metal band)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill Bajzek ---- www: http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/usr/wb2a/home 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] ----------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------
if YOU want to know ------------------------- and if YOU want to know
just what i see ------------------------------------ where were going
look at yourself --------------------------------- keep your distance
and dont ask me ---------------------------------- and dont follow me

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 94 8:52:30 EDT
From: email_address_removed (Greg "Big Brother" Lee)
Subject: Re: Just a Reminder

> "What do you think they would say, if I stood up, and I walked away? Nobody  
>  here really understands me."
>                                     -----Blind Melon-----
> 
> Aaron

	Aaron...you a truly a brave person, putting Blind Melon quotes out
for Ytsejam readers to see!

Greg.

------------------------------

Date:          Mon, 18 Jul 1994 09:47:49 CST
From: "Doug Slauson" <email_address_removed>
Subject:       more on Cynic...

    OK guys, maybe I should have been a little more "focused" in what 
I said in regard to my recommendation of Cynic...

    Obviously no one band is going to satisfy all of us rabid DT 
fans.  What I was trying to say was that I am in no way a fan of 
death metal, but I went out and bought the album after hearing a lot 
about it on the progressive newsgroup. I was VERY leary of buying it 
because I expected to be dissapointed, but it turns out that I really 
like it.

    Yes, the vocals are not very good, but from what I've heard, they 
are leaning away from this style and towards a more traditional 
vocal style.

    Douglas
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
 Rebellion is your pestilence
 I'll never be confined
 Forever you shall yield to me
 ANARCHY DIVINE!                -Fates Warning
oooooooooooo email_address_removed oooooooooooo

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 94 09:30:19 MDT
From: email_address_removed.ca (William Kriski)
Subject: Fates Warning

To Godsize and others interested in Fates Warning:

Up until a couple of months ago I hadn't heard any FW tunes, but I had heard of them.  I now have No Exit, Perfect Symmetry and Parallels.  I would recommend them highly to anyone into DT.

In my opinion, No Exit rocks the hardest of the three but is not the most musically complicated.  The lyrics on the albums are very meaningful also.  I would recommended starting with No Exit and going from there.

Will

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 94 15:55:53 EDT
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Re: Just a Reminder

My address is Nuclearant aaron,  I'm on aol.   Hope that helps.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 1994 20:13:50 -0500 (EDT)
From: Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>
Subject: bad traders

Hi all...  I have begun compiling something that has unfortunatly,
become necessary...  I am trying to compile a list of bad traders...
I want to have a list of people who have, well, basically, screwed you
in a trade...  I have already mentioned this to alot of the people
that I trade wioth, and fortunatly, have not come up with too many
people, but there are some... and I would like to be able to warn
other traders out there before they setup trades with these people...
Now, first off, I want to make sure that this list is free from anyone
that had a small misunderstanding in a trade, and everything was
settled.  I also don't want any time related problems, unless you have
waited over 2 months for a tape.  I want to be absolutly certain that
nobody gets on this list that doesn't belong there..  

Problems can include waiting over 2 months for tapes, incorrect tape
usage (does NOT include wrong tape manufacturer, ONLY wrong type (such
as type I tapes, etc), and other similar problems...  

The list will be in this format:

person's email address
		as much real life info as possible
		such as snail mail address
		real name, etc

problem:	details of the problem including:
		what exact problem was
		if you have been aqble to contact the person
		if anyone else has been able to contact person, etc

submitted by:	your name goes here

I want this list to be there to help all of us good traders, and with
any luck, to be able to get people who appear on this list to correct
the problem.  I do not want to post the list to any mailing lists, but
I will personally email it to anyone who wants it...  (so far, after
collecting from about 20 people (all from my own mailing list) I have
only found about 5 bad traders, so it isn't that bad of a problem, but
it seems that more and more people are getting email access, and more
people are trying to screw others...  lets see if we can put an end to
this, and get what we are all interested in...  more great live
music...)  

-- 
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
|		   This world is spinning around me		       |
|		  This world is spinning without me		       |
|		    Every day sends future to past		       |
|	      Every breath leaves me one less to my last	       |
|	Dream Theater	    Pull Me Under	Images and Words       |
|	Michael Burstin			     Brandeis University       |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Let's Go Pens   Let's Go Pens	 Lets Go Pens	 Let's Go Pens |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
For info about Dream Theater, finger email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 94 18:26:19 PDT
From: email_address_removed (Zack Gemmill)
Subject: Re: SHIRTS?

What's the deal with the shirts?  I was hoping to have 
mine by the time I went to see Metallica this weekend...
I guess not.

Zach

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 1994 00:04:41 -0500 (CDT)
From: Larry G Waterfield <email_address_removed>
Subject: Fates Warning?  Help!

I've been hearing a lot about Fates Warning on DT newsgroups lately.  I 
seem to remember seeing them on Head Banger's Ball years ago and was not 
impressed with them at first glance.  Should I reconsider?  I mainly 
listen to music for two reasons:  energy, and to be impressed.  Needless 
to say, DT was my ideal band!  My favorites are Iron Maiden, Queensryche, 
Van Halen, and old metal.  I play bass (hence Steve Harris, John 
Myong idolatry) and the like tastes.  Would I like these 
guys?  I'm running out of music to listen to.  Life sucks for us non- 
/Paual Abdoul/Rap/Gin Blossom fans.  
I've worn out WDADU and IAW (if that's possible with a CD), OK not quite, 
but I would like new material of the same type.  

Suggestions would be great!

Thanks, 
Glenn Waterfield
_____________________________________________________________________________
if you really want me, email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 1994 22:12:49 -0700
From: Ken Bibb <email_address_removed>
Subject: ytsejam moving next Sunday 7/24

The Ytsejam mailing list will be moving next Sunday to its new home.
It will be down for an unknown period of time while it is moving
(probably during Sunday afternoon).  It will come back up as:

	[email-masked]		The list
	[email-masked]	The automated administrator
	[email-masked]	The unautomated administrator

If you run into trouble using these addresses, you can reach me at
email_address_removed or email_address_removed

--
Ken Bibb		"Sprayed by a moonbeam through Linden leaves
email_address_removed	 Cast in a shadow of anonymity"
email_address_removed	 	--Fish "Jumpsuit City"

------------------------------
End of Digest
************************