Subject: YTSEJAM digest 459
From: email_address_removed
To: Multiple recipients of list <email_address_removed>

Contents:
Re: YTSEJAM digest 456 (email_address_removed (Dr. Mosh))
Re: Rush compilation (Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>)
Re: Sharps. screw-ups (email_address_removed)
Re: SIX O'CLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Garrett M Sanborne <email_address_removed>)
Re: Awake (Garrett M Sanborne <email_address_removed>)
Re: Petrucci's Rack, AOL, Cynic, and NGSW (email_address_removed)
Re: Just a Reminder (email_address_removed)
Re: SIX O'CLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(Fates) (Douglas Merrell <email_address_removed>)
Portnoy/Charlie (email_address_removed)
Mesa/Boogie (email_address_removed)
Cynic (James Peele <email_address_removed>)
Music, music and more music (email_address_removed)
DT Toronto show... (Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>)
Re: Cynic (Tim <email_address_removed>)
Re: SIX O'CLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 1994 00:57:15 PDT
From: email_address_removed (Dr. Mosh)
Subject: Re: YTSEJAM digest 456

>Well, it seems that we've had some pretty stale threads going through lately
>(with certain exceptions, of course).  Instead of debating issues such as AOL
>posting and proper subject matter for a DT list, I'd like to *attempt* to
>change the subject to DT information!  :) :) :)
>
>
>Does anyone have any tour information or inklings of tour information?  
>
>When DT last toured, where in Los Angeles/Pasadena did they play?  Is this
>place easy to get to without a car (from Pasadena)?
>
>While I'm on the subject, I'll repeat a question I asked before: Does anyone
>know of a good music store in Pasadena where I could purchase DT on October
>4th? (I'll be moving there in late September so things might get hectic, and
>I don't want to miss out on the first day because I can't find a store! :) )
>
>Any information at all would be greatly appreciated!
>
>email_address_removed
>

DT last played at the Celebrity Theater in Anaheim for the Images and
Words Tour... they played with I don't even remember whom (tells you how
good they were), the show was good, the mix sucked...  I had front row and
stood next to Petrucci when he jumped out on the chairs and started
ripping jduring Ytsejam...

I also met Mike Portnoy at King's X at the Palace just a couple of weeks
back... he was cool...

-The Doc

-- 
#$%*#$*@   Real: email_address_removed + Virtual: email_address_removed    *@#$*@#$
*#$*@#$*  The Dream Theater Archives: ftp.netcom.com: /pub/drkhoe/dt   &*@#$*@$
**%^$#$%    WWW: "ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/drkhoe/www/dthome.html"     #$**@#*$
*$*$*$*#      Reality Enhancement Software - Engineering Reality       *$&#*#@$

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 1994 01:26:11 -0700 (MST)
From: Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Rush compilation

> to find.  As far as concert songs, Xanadu from the Roll the Bones tour
> was quite good as far as video presentation goes, I don't know what is 
> out there as far as videos of it though.  You should probably put the 
> version of The Weapon from the Grace Under Pressure tour though, the 

	Well, I was going to stay away from stuff that's been released on 
home video... as I have a lot of material and only two hours of tape to 
fill. :) There is a studio video of Xanadu, as well as AFTK and many 
others from that era. 

	TO ALL:

	Well, the people hath spoken. A Rush Video Montage it is!! Allow 
me to gather up material, make plans, and do other such stuff, and a full 
offer with ordering info and a setlist will be posted in about a week and 
a half to Ytsejam.

	If you have ideas for inclusion, mention them in mail to me, but 
please, DON'T mail me to say you want one "just yet"... trust me, I'm 
glad youre interested and I want to get you a copy, but I don't have it 
made just yet so I'm mostly looking for ideas on what to put in there. So 
far, and this is open to criticism too, it will include:

* Every Rush video not available on their releases.
* Several live TV spots, usually of a few songs, or even one. Stuff like 
a LOW (roughly 3rd) gen copy of Don Kirschner will be included. This has 
to be seen to be believed. :)
* A bunch of interviews from everywhere from 1976 to 1994.
* Highlights from the Junos in 1975, 1978, 1979, and 1994.
* Hard-to-find pro-shot concert footage of unusual songs. So far this is 
going to include Scars, War Paint, and a drum solo.
* Some multi-camera and arena boot highlights.
* the occasional surprise, space permitting.

	Look for more info to come in about ten days time, and in the 
meanwhile, back to Dream Theater! :)

Mike/email_address_removed/email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 94 09:23:43 EDT
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Re: Sharps. screw-ups

OOOOPPPPPSS! Sorry 'bout the redundant post! Looks like THIS aol geek needs
to learn how to use his e-mail better, huh?! ;-)

StmpyJCat

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 1994 13:27:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: Garrett M Sanborne <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: SIX O'CLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On Fri, 15 Jul 1994 email_address_removed wrote:
> Also could someone give me some info on Fates Warning because you guys always
> talk about them and I would like to see if I would like there music.  Whic is
> their best album IYHO.

	I only have their latest, parallels, but it's very good.  It's 
somewhat similar to I&W, but ... it's hard to describe. It's similar in 
the technical aspects, but it's a lot darker, more "ominous" if that 
makes sense.  There's no keyboards, so that makes a difference.  Without 
making to harsh a judgement, I'd say IMHO that they're nearly as good 
musicians as DT.  I personally don't think they're AS good.  Parallels is 
a little more mainstream in terms of song structure, I don't know about 
the other albums.  Anyone heard the new one?  Is it out yet?

> I really am sorry about the sharps comments. 

	:-) I forgive you :-)
GMS
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
|       Garrett M. Sanborne              email_address_removed           |
|                                        email_address_removed          |
|  "Do what you love, the rest comes."     "Huh huh .. drums are cool."   |
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 1994 13:44:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: Garrett M Sanborne <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Awake

On Fri, 15 Jul 1994, Dr. Mosh wrote:
> Listen to "11th Hour" Fates Warning from Parallels...
> 
> listen to the Chorus before the last one where it goes into acoustical...
> the part that goes "Ohhhh ohhhh ohhh whoa ohhh ohhhh ohhhh ohhhh oohhhh, 
> and nothing's easy anymore..." and then listen to the last one RIGHT AWAY,
> same chorus, sounds the same when you're listening to it straight through,
> listen to EACH chorus separately, THEY ARE IN DIFFERENT KEYS!!!!
> 
> -The Doc

	Doc, could you give the times for these choruses?  I couldn't 
find the two you were talking about.  Thanks.

*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
|       Garrett M. Sanborne              email_address_removed           |
|                                        email_address_removed          |
|  "Do what you love, the rest comes."     "Huh huh .. drums are cool."   |
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 94 13:56:04 EDT
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Re: Petrucci's Rack, AOL, Cynic, and NGSW

I was thinking about going to the National guitar workshop also this year,
but i didn't have enough money.   When you get back from it tell me how it
was, so decide to go or not next year!

Max Gise

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 94 14:02:03 EDT
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Re: Just a Reminder

   I'm interested about the Majesty demo also, send me more info on how to
order please.

Max Gise

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 94 15:12:56 EDT
From: Douglas Merrell <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: SIX O'CLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(Fates)

> Also could someone give me some info on Fates Warning because you guys always
> talk about them and I would like to see if I would like there music.  Whic is
> their best album IYHO.
> 
> Godsize
> 
> I really am sorry about the sharps comments.
> 
> 
Well,

There is some good news for Fates Warning fans!!  The new album entitled,
Inside Out, is due out on Tuesday, July 26 (YEAH!!!).  This is really
going to be something to listen to.

About their older material, I have Parallels and think it is very good.  I
am still waiting for our local music store to get in Perfect Symmetry.  I
plan on getting the new one and PS really soon so I'll leave those
comments until then.

Inside Out is supposed to be quite a collection of material from what I've
read in the interview with Jim Matheos which appeared 'hear' a while back. 
If you want to read it and just imagine what it will be like, I can mail
it to you.  The article is just basically the discussion about how Jim was
the sole songwriter for the previous albums and that he did the creative
end of the material.  But now, I believe that there was a lot more input
from each of the members of the band.  This is just one of the parts that
I remember from reading it a few weeks ago.  Well, I hope that whets your
appetite.

Prog RULES,
D.merrell

E-mail: email_address_removed or email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 94 15:40:53 EDT
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Portnoy/Charlie

I heard that Mike Portnoy beat up Charlie and that is why he isn't in the
band anymore.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 94 15:47:48 EDT
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Mesa/Boogie

>From MOT:

The Mesa/Boogie amp that John Pettrucci uses was not used on the new album.
 Mark Snyder x-Mesa/Boogie employee supplied JP with a special amp!  Along
with JP's new 7 string Ibanez guitar.  The sound is awesome on the new album.

FYI  Mesa Engineering originally made an amp for Carlos Santana, he used the
prototype and said "This amp boogie's"  Hence the name Mesa/Boogie.

To the person that said JP doesn't know how to use his rack to it's fullest,
I think he does since his tech is one of the designers of the equip and he
made the rack.  But when I talk to him this week I'll pass the critique on to
him!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 1994 16:27:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: James Peele <email_address_removed>
Subject: Cynic

I just saw Cynic the other night at a club called the Milk Bar here in
Jacksonville, FL.  I was completely blown away!  They sound like a cross
between Watchtower, Coroner, Allan Holdsworth, and King Crimson!  I just
ordered their only album entitled 'Focus.'  I can't wait to get it...
Later...      Jay Peele (INFERNO)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 94 18:00:14 EDT
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Music, music and more music

       Doug.Drury   I understand a little of what your saying  about the
melody moving another direction to add interest to the listener.  I remember
my guitar teacher talking about making the listener predict where the song is
going to go and all the sudden change and take the listener to a better
place.
    You're definitely right about Dream Theater  using this and making it
very memorable.   
    In understanding how the counterpunctal works, i'm pretty lost, but I
understand how it works. In other words, I hear it but not use it
effectively.  Please explain more about so I can incorperate it into my music
making it interesting.

Max Gise

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 1994 23:05:39 -0500 (EDT)
From: Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>
Subject: DT Toronto show...

Hi there...  I already delted my copy of Ytsejam, and I forget who it
was that asked about the Toronto video...  Anyway, I have a copy of it
(as well as many other locations) that I can trade...  Please reply to
me BY EMAIL to arrange a trade...  
-- 
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
|		   This world is spinning around me		       |
|		  This world is spinning without me		       |
|		    Every day sends future to past		       |
|	      Every breath leaves me one less to my last	       |
|	Dream Theater	    Pull Me Under	Images and Words       |
|	Michael Burstin			     Brandeis University       |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Let's Go Pens   Let's Go Pens	 Lets Go Pens	 Let's Go Pens |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
For info about Dream Theater, finger email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 1994 20:23:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tim <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Cynic

I have to disagree with the "all you DT fans will love Cynic" sentiment..
I heard it discussed on and off for a while and finally picked it up a few
months back.. Their sound is good/unique in some senses but this death metal
crap just kills it for me.. I can't stand to listen to the vocals.. The
instrumental mentioned (Textures) is very interesting but I generally don't buy
CDs to listen to one song. If any DT'ers would like to give it a
try though I'd be happy to work some kind of trade.  Maybe someone likes
death metal (or they are good at muting out vocals :-)

	Tim

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 1994 23:22:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: SIX O'CLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excerpts from ytsejam: 16-Jul-94 Re: SIX O'CLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by
Garrett M Sanborne@locke 
> makes sense.  There's no keyboards, so that makes a difference.  Without 

there are some keyboards, but just in the background.

> making to harsh a judgement, I'd say IMHO that they're nearly as good 
> musicians as DT.  I personally don't think they're AS good.  Parallels is 

I used to think they weren't as good until I saw Frank Aresti playing
his solos on my bootleg video, and, well, Mark Zonder AM (listen to The
Arena from Perfect Symmetry). Plus Matheos pulls off his solos live as
well as Petrucci does, although his aren't quite as complex as Aresti's
or Petrucci's. 

> a little more mainstream in terms of song structure, I don't know about 
> the other albums.

the others aren't as complex, but they're less structured. Awaken the
Guardian, No Exit, and Perfect Symmetry are excellent. I like the early
stuff, but most other people think it's standard stuff.

btw, max and I are having trouble getting our bass player into FW. Since
they're a big influence (on me, at least), what do you suggest we do?
what would you consider, for you, to be the quintessential fates warning
song from each album, that we should force him to listen to until his
ears bleed? I vote for:

nob: night on brocken
sw: the apparitian
atg: fata morgana 
ne: the ivory gate of dreams   
ps: hmm... I can't decide between part of the machine, NLTS, and static 
    acts
prls: leave the past behind

havent heard inside out yet, but I hope to get an advance copy real soon
    (clever schemes are cool)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill Bajzek ---- www: http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/usr/wb2a/home 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] ----------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------
if YOU want to know ------------------------- and if YOU want to know
just what i see ------------------------------------ where were going
look at yourself --------------------------------- keep your distance
and dont ask me ---------------------------------- and dont follow me

------------------------------
End of Digest
************************