Subject: YTSEJAM digest 457
From: email_address_removed
To: Multiple recipients of list <email_address_removed>

Contents:
Re: Missing boot info (Stephen Bajzek <[email-masked]>)
Re: Petrucci's Rack, AOL, Cynic, and NGSW ("James Studnicki (HON)" <email_address_removed>)
Just a Reminder (MEN HAVE FEELINGS TOO <email_address_removed>)
Re: Petrucci's Rack (email_address_removed (Dr. Mosh))
Re: New Rush Video Montage! (Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>)
Re: sharps (Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>)
Awake (Eric Moegling <email_address_removed>)
SIX O'CLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Pinto <email_address_removed>)
Re: YTSEJAM digest 456 (a few things) (Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>)
Re: SIX O'CLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Garrett M Sanborne <email_address_removed>)
Kings X, LITS, etc, ad infinitum.... (Andrew Cloninger <email_address_removed>)
Re: Awake (Garrett M Sanborne <email_address_removed>)
Re: video bootTales in the Dark (BERTAPELLE  ADAM RAYE <email_address_removed>)
Re: Missing boot info (BERTAPELLE  ADAM RAYE <email_address_removed>)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 08:34:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Stephen Bajzek <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Missing boot info

Excerpts from mail: 13-Jul-94 Missing boot info by email_address_removed 
> First, is March of the Tyrant on LitS ?  I heard it was in an instrumental
> version, but the ftp bootleg list does not include it.  Could someone please
> check this out, and if it is the case, could MikeB please update the
boot list?

It is on LitS. Part of it is played at the end of Only a Matter of Time.

> 
> Next, the boot list indicates that Vital Star is on Classics Live.  Is this 
> true?  Assuming true, is it a live version w/Labrie on vocals, or is it just
> the Majesty demo version tacked on the end?  Does anyone have this bootleg?
> 

Vital Star is on classics Live, but it's the old majesty demo with Chris
Collins on vocals.

max
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And if the band I'm in starts playing different tunes
You'll see me on the dark side of the moon
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
p.s. I need a drummer, bad. Mail me for info.

oh yeah, and check out http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/usr/sb7h/home

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 10:55:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: "James Studnicki (HON)" <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Petrucci's Rack, AOL, Cynic, and NGSW

On Wed, 13 Jul 1994 SANBORNE%email_address_removed wrote:

>         This is directed to all the guitarists out there: what exactly
> is a mesa/boogie ??? This has been bugging me.  I don't want a rundown
> of what everyone owns, just a description of what it is.  Sounds strange.
> I'm not a guitarist, so I have no clue about it.  Ask me about drums,
> there I can help.  By the way, YES this does have to do with DT because
> Petrucci uses them!!! ;-)

Sorry if I was unclear.  Mesa / Boogie is a guitar amplifier manufacturer. 
John P. has an endorsement from them.  They specialize in high-end,
EXPENSIZE tube amps, preamps and switching systems.  The TriAxis is a MIDI
programmable preamp which uses tubes in the distortion stage.  The MIDI
Matrix is a switching system which allows the guitarist to incorporate all
of his outboard effects units and switch them from a MIDI pedal board, and
the SimulClass 2: Ninety units are all-tube power amps.  Good stuff, if
you can afford it. 

To everyone who took the time to flame me privately: Fuck you very much. 
I'm just glad that, in your cowardice, you didn't waste any more bandwidth
by sending your insignificance to YTSEJAM.  Some of you had intelligent
and even enlightening opinions and constructive criticisms, and I of
course exclude you from the above comment.  I am aware that not everyone
on AOL is a cretin.  However, I have seen a lot of purely pointless posts
and unconditional demands and bitches in newsgroups and 'lists, and
unfortunately, a goodly number of them originate from AOL.  I obviously
know that AOL isn't solely responsible, and now everyone's screaming, "NOT
ME!!", but I form judgements based on, among other things, past
experiences, like a thinking, rational human.  AOL people: prove me wrong. 
Post intelligent, pertinent stuff to this and other 'lists, withhold your
complaints (unless they're REALLY legit), and I guarantee you people will
love ya for it!
~~~
Anyone know anything about a band called Cynic?  They're supposedly some 
of the most amazing musicians on the planet.  For lack of a better 
classification, they're grouped with death metal (yuck), but that's 
because of their aggressiveness.  They do a lot with guitar synth, and a 
lot of their stuff has jazz-like chord progressions and odd meters.  I know 
their bass player, Shawn Malone.  He is from Tampa and he's an 
unbelievable bass and Chapman stick player.  They were just here with 
(close your eyes) Cannibal Corpse.  I didn't get to the show, so I was 
wondering if anyone has seen them live.

One more thing.  I'm going to be attending the National Guitar Summer
Workshop in New Milford, Ct. for a few weeks.  For all you fellow guitar
maniacs, I'm taking the master class with Andy Timmons and Matt Smith. 
John P. is supposed to be a guest artist at some point during the summer,
but I don't know when.  Does anyone know?  NGSW won't confirm.  I know
that Frank Gambale and Scott Henderson are going to be there when I am,
but I'm still holding out for Petrucci.  Any info on this would be greatly
appreciated. 

Jim Studnicki
email_address_removed
University of South Florida
Tampa, Florida, USA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 13:23:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: MEN HAVE FEELINGS TOO <email_address_removed>
Subject: Just a Reminder

Just A reminder, for all of those who expressed interest, or are
interested now in obtaining the 1986 Majesty Demos CD or the
1987 Instrumental Demos CD, the cd's will be coming in within
the next few weeks.  This means that if you want to reserve a copy
you'll need to send out the $$$ asap.  Please email me for
my snail mail. Oh prices are $29 for a single cd , or 
$55 for both CD's. 

Tim

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 11:52:04 PDT
From: email_address_removed (Dr. Mosh)
Subject: Re: Petrucci's Rack

>        This is directed to all the guitarists out there: what exactly
>is a mesa/boogie ??? This has been bugging me.  I don't want a rundown
>of what everyone owns, just a description of what it is.  Sounds strange.
>I'm not a guitarist, so I have no clue about it.  Ask me about drums,
>there I can help.  By the way, YES this does have to do with DT because
>Petrucci uses them!!! ;-)
>
>        Gman
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>   Garrett M. Sanborne     Tredy A29/C    A-Mail: <SANBORNE @ TRPROGD>
>   A Series Support          Internet: home: email_address_removed
>   Voice:(610)644-4438               office: sanborne%trprogd@mpa15ab.
>         net2:385-4438                           mv-oc.unisys.com
>         >>>>>>>> The above opinions are mine alone <<<<<<<<
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure you'll get many responses to this.  But I'll reply anyways just
in case you don't... ;)  Mesa/Boogie is a guitar amplifier company, and
they make some of the best amplifiers in my opinion.  As per a previous
post about his rack setup, he uses 2 Mesa/Boogie Tri-Axis Pre-amps, I'm
quite familiar with this pre-amp.  It has 128 Channels and around the same
number of "sound" settings.  The first 20 Channels don't actually count
cause they are pre-programmed and can only be changed while the unit is
on, when you shut it off, you loose the settings, therefore, you actually
only have 108 channels with unlimited sound capability cause you can
"link" any sound to a channel. 

The Tri-Axis incorporates circuitry to emulate any of the older Mark
series Mesa/Boogie amps from the Mark I to the Mark IV.  It has 2 Lead and
1 Rhythm sections, each section has 3 sub-sections.  Lead 1 has 3 settings
and Lead 2 has 3 and Rhythm 1 has three... and they all are set to a
certain type of Mark series setting, if memory serves me right, Lead 2
setting number 3 has the infamous Dual Rectifier sound that Mesa/Boogies
are known for, the tight compression and progressive gain leveling. (In
other words, nice crunch)... 

But that's just a brief description...  with his stereo power amp... you
can't beat Petrucci's setup... the only quam I have about Petrucci is that
I don't think he knows how to take full advantage of his equipment yet,
when he plays live.  One shortcoming is Surrounded, the part in the middle
where all the effects comes in, I don't think he's using the right
settings...

-The Doc

-- 
#$%*#$*@   Real: email_address_removed + Virtual: email_address_removed    *@#$*@#$
*#$*@#$*  The Dream Theater Archives: ftp.netcom.com: /pub/drkhoe/dt   &*@#$*@$
**%^$#$%    WWW: "ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/drkhoe/www/dthome.html"     #$**@#*$
*$*$*$*#      Reality Enhancement Software - Engineering Reality       *$&#*#@$

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 12:26:26 -0700 (MST)
From: Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: New Rush Video Montage!

> Hey, man!  Go for it!  I'd totally get one from you!  Is that $6.00
> with postage and handling?

	Yup, that's $6.00 total, compleat. Check comes to my hand, tape 
goes to your mailbox. Not bad eh! All thanks to my getting discounts on 
blank video tapes at work... I can get the real nice tapes (Maxell hifi 
or gold) at a bulk discount.

Mike/email_address_removed/email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 12:27:32 -0700 (MST)
From: Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: sharps

> Guys I would like to say that I am sorry about the cracks I made about you
> for talking about sharps and flats.  I acted a bit hastily.  Please take my
> apology seriously.
> Us DT fans should stick together.

	Wow... that was awful cool of ya, considering the last few 
messages you put in. Oh well, everyone is new at least once. All is 
forgiven, just don't do that again or we'll electronically castrate ya. :)

Mike/email_address_removed/email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 15:28:54 -0500 (CDT)
From: Eric Moegling <email_address_removed>
Subject: Awake

O.K. to start a new thread that doesn't consist of Sharps an Flats, and 
isn't flammable (maybe we should get a fire marshall on the Ytse)...here 
goes. I realize that Awake isn't coming out for a while (bummer!), but 
here's a proposition that would most likely lead to some excellent and 
somewhat intelligent conversation. I have this theory (I've shared it 
with a few) that anyone can become a musician without knowing how to play 
an instrument, or any of that kind of stuff...or in otherwords just being 
"book Smart" does actually help...anyways, I was thinking that if we 
could get a bunch of people (or preferably all of you) to do this, we 
might just show up all those who are trying to bring us down (including 
ourselfs!). Here's my idea, I would venture to assume that most of us are 
planning on getting Awke ASAP or sooner (once it comes out)...and all of 
us are going to be experiencing a new thing at virtually at the same 
time...so what if we were to all write down what our impressions are when 
we first give it a listen, and then discuss. Now I'm not talking "Wow, 
this songs cool!" or the usual crap you hear when an album comes out and 
everyone's te4lling you about it...but an intelligent and musical 
perspective of the album. One just needs a good pair of ears in order to 
do this (and be somewhat literate!), but here's kind of what I'm talking 
about. When listening to The Killing Hand for the first time, I didn't 
happen to write anything down, therefore I don't remember what I was 
thinking when I heard it...however everytime since (like most of you with 
LtL) I hear something that I never realized was there (usually a piece of 
orchestration, or a little guitar riff)...and it all comes from actually 
paying attention to the music (not just listening, and not deciphering 
the lyrics). Anyways, those of you who are musicians probably understand 
what I'm getting at (if not, maybe we could discuss over private E-mail), 
and those of you that aren't (musicians) can just writ things that you 
thought were really cool, or caught you off gaurd (via the time clock on 
your CD player). After we do this we can have a big thread were we post 
our first impressions of Awake, and then it gives us an opportunity to 
grow as we hear new things (and look back on what we've accomplished as a 
listener.). Well, that's the basics, and I'm not going to go into it any 
further cause this post is freakin' huge already. If you think it's cool, 
let's discuss. Later fellow DT enthusiasts!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to the circle of fifths, and the pattern of sharps and flats: 
If the alphabet continued as notes progressed (Using Major Key Sig's) (i.e
A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, etc.) eventually the key of Z Major 
would have 4 sharps.                     

  			    email_address_removed
           ERIC MOEGLING:     
			    email_address_removed	
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 17:34:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: Pinto <email_address_removed>
Subject: SIX O'CLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dudes!!

Heard sixty seconds of one of the new ones, "6:00", off of _Awake_--I 
nearly soiled my underwear....I can't even talk about it yet.

TD

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 21:58:19 -0500 (EDT)
From: Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: YTSEJAM digest 456 (a few things)

> Date: Wed, 13 Jul 1994 08:10:32 -0400 (EDT)
> From: William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: 
> 
> Excerpts from ytsejam: 12-Jul-94  by email_address_removed 

> btw, DT WERE ON HBB??????? Liar!
> 
Well, the entire origional address isn't there, but it was a European
address...  HBB is different in Europe...

> ------------------------------
> 
> From: email_address_removed (Steven Ray)
> Subject: Unsubscribe ytsejam
> 
> Well I tried to avoid posting this to the list, but the listserver
> will not allow me to unsubscribe to an old account, etc.
> 
> unsubscribe email_address_removed ytsejam
> 
> can some list admin do this or tell me how.
> 
Again, to unsubscribe, send message WITHOUT subject to
email_address_removed with the body reading:

unsubscribe ytsejam

> ------------------------------
> 
> > video boot Tales in the Dark
> > Live at RPM, Toronto 7-20-93 100 minutes
> > Metropolis
> > under a glass moon
> > a fortune in lies
> > wait for sleep
> > surrounded
> > instrumental

	Ytsejam 
		and
	Pup or Puppies On Acid

> > take the time
> > to live forever
> > instrumental

	Barfbag

> > status seeker
> > another day
> > pull me under
> > 
> > encore
> > instrumental

	Eve

> > learning to live
> > 
> > --Pat Daugherty
> > email_address_removed
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date: Wed, 13 Jul 1994 16:25:56 -0500 (EST)
> From: email_address_removed
> Subject: Missing boot info
> 
> I need a couple of things cleared up about some bootlegs.
> 
> First, is March of the Tyrant on LitS ?  I heard it was in an instrumental
> version, but the ftp bootleg list does not include it.  Could someone please
>check this out, and if it is the case, could MikeB please update the boot list

I have been really busy lately...  (as some of you might know, I am
taking orgo this summer (what fun) and it is a bitch...  especially
with procrastination (like right now...  I should be studying for my
test at 9:00 tomorrow morning...:))  This is March Of The Tyrany...  I
didn't realize it at first, until Bill @CMU recognized it...

> I was also very dissappointed to find out that the last four songs on Live
> in Long Island (Majesty tunes) were not live w/Labrie.  I guess I shouldn't
>have gotten my hopes up.  Are these songs different in any way, shape, or form
> from the Majesty '86 demo versions?  This may also be a good idea to include 
> in the boot list.
>
Those are exactly them...  Whoever made the CD just tacked them on...

> One last thing about the boot list.  The demos section is rather confusing.
> I'm not sure what songs are on what demos.  I think there are 3 Majesty demos
> '86,'87,'88, and DT demo(s).  If anyone knows exactly what tunes are on which
> demos, could you please make it public info. so that it can be updated on the
> bootlist.  I can't even tell how many DT demo tapes are floating out there.
> 

My origional tape that I got over a year ago was labeled as the
Majesty Demos, and had the demos from 86, 87, and 88.  I later found
out that the official Majesty Demos were only the ones from 86.
Between the time that I got the tape with all demos and the tape
labeled as Dream Theater Demos.  I called  them different things on my
bootlist, and because Mike Bahr got these tapes from me, he called
them the same thing...  now that I have the discog, I have not really
had time to update it...  I have some major revisions to make, and
will hopefully get them done soon...

-- 
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
|		   This world is spinning around me		       |
|		  This world is spinning without me		       |
|		    Every day sends future to past		       |
|	      Every breath leaves me one less to my last	       |
|	Dream Theater	    Pull Me Under	Images and Words       |
|	Michael Burstin			     Brandeis University       |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Let's Go Pens   Let's Go Pens	 Lets Go Pens	 Let's Go Pens |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
For info about Dream Theater, finger email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 23:03:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: Garrett M Sanborne <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: SIX O'CLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On Thu, 14 Jul 1994, Pinto wrote:
> 
> Dudes!!
> 
> Heard sixty seconds of one of the new ones, "6:00", off of _Awake_--I 
> nearly soiled my underwear....I can't even talk about it yet.
> 
> TD

	AAAAAAA!! Describe!!!! Please!!!! Ack!

*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
|       Garrett M. Sanborne              email_address_removed           |
|                                        email_address_removed          |
|  "Do what you love, the rest comes."     "Huh huh .. drums are cool."   |
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 22:57:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: Andrew Cloninger <email_address_removed>
Subject: Kings X, LITS, etc, ad infinitum....

As it reminded me that I missed DT playing HERE about 3 years ago, my 
sister dropped in this week and ....non-chalantely mentioned that Kings X 
had played in MY HOMETOWN..at one of the local beach clubs (for you 
Spring Breakers out there....Panama City and The Spinnaker)..and..i could 
have KILLED her!!!!! The kind of things that I miss out on.....
  ALSO,....through the kind generosity of someone with whom I recently 
traded, i now have Lost In the Sky and i can say that IMHO ...LITS is FAR 
better than DoE.  Id have to argue DoE being a soundboard (weve already 
gone through THAT one) and say that Lost in the Sky makes DoE 
sound...silly...in attempting to sound like a good quality soundboard.  
You just cant surpass most of those FM broadcasts...especially those that 
originated in Boot-land.....

Andrew

=Rimmer:=======================================================================
There are so many things that WE don't have an explaination for...the pyramids:
how did they move such massive pieces of stone without ...modern techonology?
=Lister: They had massive WHIPS, Rimmer,....massive, massive whips.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 23:12:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: Garrett M Sanborne <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Awake

In response to the _Awake_ listening idea, I think it's great.  That's a 
great way to improve your listening abilities.  I tried it on a recent 
album I bought and looking back on the observations is very interesting.  
It would be really cool to discuss the first things you notice with 
others at the same time.  Great idea, Eric!
	Gman
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
|       Garrett M. Sanborne              email_address_removed           |
|                                        email_address_removed          |
|  "Do what you love, the rest comes."     "Huh huh .. drums are cool."   |
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 22:04:47 -0600 (MDT)
From: BERTAPELLE  ADAM RAYE <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: video bootTales in the Dark

My guess on the instrumentals is Ytsejam after Surrounded, Barfbag
(guitar solo) after to live forever, and it's GOT to be Eve before
Learning to Live.  It usually is.
-Adam

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 22:08:59 -0600 (MDT)
From: BERTAPELLE  ADAM RAYE <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Missing boot info

Classics Live has the normal Majesty demo of Vital Star at the end as
a "bonus track".  Although the sound quality isn't the best, and
there's a lot of screw ups (especially Petrucci's solo at the end of
Take the Time   yikes!), I really like this boot, because the band is
really screwing around, and not making sure that everything is
PERFECT.   You hear a lot of joking, and sour notes, etc, but they
just having fun.  Rare form for DT, I'd say!
-Adam

------------------------------
End of Digest
************************