Subject: YTSEJAM digest 453
From: email_address_removed
To: Multiple recipients of list <email_address_removed>

Contents:
THanks for the Booting (Christopher Taylor Oates <email_address_removed>)
Re: Lyrics on LATM (Christopher Taylor Oates <email_address_removed>)
Re: Sharps & Flats (Jens Johansson <email_address_removed>)
Re: venues, signed breasts (BERTAPELLE  ADAM RAYE <email_address_removed>)
boots and bands.... (Jason Breitweg <email_address_removed>)
Re: YTSEJAM digest 451 (Anthony Tully <email_address_removed.au>)
Re: ages ("Annie M. Sorrento" <email_address_removed>)
Re: ages ("Annie M. Sorrento" <email_address_removed>)
Re: Any attend Live in Toyko show?? (Garrett M Sanborne <email_address_removed>)
Re: YTSEJAM digest 437 (Garrett M Sanborne <email_address_removed>)
Re: YTSEJAM digest 437 (Garrett M Sanborne <email_address_removed>)
Steve Stone... (Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>)
fortune in lies (email_address_removed (Tim Gorjanc))
Sharps (email_address_removed)
Re: Lyrics on LATM (email_address_removed (Richard Toscano))

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Jul 1994 23:06:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christopher Taylor Oates <email_address_removed>
Subject: THanks for the Booting

Thanks to the person who informed me that CD Warehouse had Boots.  When I 
went, they still had DoE and one LoS.  Unfortunately, when I left, they 
still had them.  I'm balking a bit at paying $50 for 2 songs, even if 
they are Forever and ACOS.

Two things, though, James looked really odd on the front of DoE, and if 
it didn't say Dream Theater on Lords of SOund I wouldn't recognize them 
at all from the picture!  Why do they look so different on these pics 
from the album pics, and what does the band "really" look like?

     ~Chris

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Jul 1994 23:38:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christopher Taylor Oates <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Lyrics on LATM

On Sat, 9 Jul 1994, Tim Schwartz wrote:

> Hi all,
> I was listening to LATM again these days and noticed something in
> the lyrics of Metropolis. Does James sing there
> "Before the heads have fallen" instead of
> "Before the leaves have fallen" ?
> Or did my ears deceide me?

It's deception.  James is dropping cosonants again...  Maybe he was 
feeling ill and sang "heaves" dunno... :)

The annoying Metropolis James goof is where he switches "my" and "your" 
right before the solo...  Keep YOUR heart in MY eyes???  What does that 
mean?  Don't move your chest, I want to stare at it more?

Oops, guess I'm in kind of a silly mood.

     ~Chris

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 1994 04:13:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jens Johansson <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Sharps & Flats

On Sat, 9 Jul 1994, James Studnicki (HON) wrote:

> 	Thanx Jens :>  . . . kinda neat.  The "H" in "Halv" -- shouldn't 
> it be a word starting with the letter "B"?  I do know that in some 
> European countries, they have an additional note name, "H".  Is this the 
> case?  

Why naturally, if you don't have 'H', how would you
spell 'BACH'? :)

Jens.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 1994 11:04:01 -0600 (MDT)
From: BERTAPELLE  ADAM RAYE <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: venues, signed breasts

Brian Cox was mentioning his friend was the fan that appears on the
LiT vid, from Dallas.  The scene right before (?) that was my best
friend Andy in Southern California.  I can't remember what show that
was.  They met the band by watching the bus pull into the back
parking lot (they got there real early.  As the guys came off the
bus, they got a chance to talk a bit and sign autographs.  Mike
Portnoy came out with a video camera, so Andy and his pals went ape
shit.  Just as the sequence gets cut off, you can see Andy pulling up
his sleeve.  He was showing Mike his "flaming heart wrapped in barbed
wire" tattoo.

Later, after he had moved back to San Francisco, where I lived, we
went to see DT at the Warfield.  We got there very early as to save
our spots on the barricade in front center stage.  Andy went to the
bathroom, and ran back shortly after, telling me to come with.  I
thought he was nuts, since I was saving our spots.  He insisted I
trust him and come, and when we got into the lobby, there was Mike
standing, smoking a cig, and talking with 3 people.  Andy showed him
the tatto, and Mike says "Oh, yeah!  I remember you!  I got you on
video!" (which was later put on LiT)  Andy introduced me as his
drummer (we played a lot together) and I had a great 5 minute
conversation with him about his music and such.  So as not to be a
pest, I shook his hand and told him to have a great show.  He replied
"Yeah, I hope you enjoy it."  I told him that even if they came out a
played for ten minutes, that it would still be a great night.  

So, we saw the show from first row (First layer on the barricade).
We got some kick ass looks from the guys in the band.  Mike came out,
danced around on stage, and did a stage dive in Galactic Cowboys set.
And, during Learning to Live, after James's huge screem at the end
("show me beauty, show me truth.....") he came and slapped my hand,
so I grabbed on and Andy saw and grabbed on too.  The three of us
were holding hands, isn't that sweet?  Then, on the last note, James
threw the rest of his Evian bottle right to us, so to this date, Andy
hold the bottle, and I took the lable from it.  Not your everyday
piece of memorabilia, heh?  Well, this took a lot longer than I
anticipated.  I'm getting sick of listening to all my old boots.  I
can't wait for AWAKE and the new tour!  DT rules!
-Adam

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 94 12:03:25 CDT
From: Jason Breitweg <email_address_removed>
Subject: boots and bands....

Hi All,

If any of you folks live in Madison, Wisconsin I suggest that you check out
a band called Psyche:Theatric.  I saw them last night at Gonzo's in Madison
and they were great.  They played tunes from such bands as Rush, Dream 
Theater, Fates Warning, Crimson Glory, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Dokken,
Queensryche (almost forgot them) and much more.  This was one of there first
gigs but I thought that they sounded very good.  If anyone is interested they
are playing at Gonzo's again (opening for a Judas Priest cover band) on
July 22.  I guess that they will only be able to play for an hour this time
but it will be well worth the $3 cover charge.

Also for all your Queensryche fans there will be a cover band called Rage for
Order at Gonzo's in Madison on July 15.  I haven't heard them before but I
will definitely be there for the show.  If there is anyone else out there in
net land that would like to go mail me and I can possibly give you a ride
(since I don't drink I can usually get people home in one peice).  But if
you see a guy at the show with a Screaming in Digital shirt on it is me.
And before anyone asks, no I don't work at Gonzo's and I am not getting money
for this message.

Now onto the bootleg question.  I have found a store in town that will order
bootlegs and I am just overwhelmed by the choice and I was wondering what
boots people would suggest.  Here are some of the bands that I am interested
in and what boots I already have:

Dream Theater (I have DoE): and unfortunately I don't think Lost in the
	Sky was on the list I saw :(
Rush (I don't have any): I would like to get some older stuff before
	RtB (the store has Cold Flames and one other boot)
Metallica (I have Destroy Canada, Four Horsemen, and Sheer Rage): what are
	some of the good pre-black album boots, I have enough black album
	stuff to last me a lifetime
Fates Warning (I don't have any)
Iron Maiden (I don't have any)
Dio (I don't have any)
Queensryche (I have Queen of the Reich and Unplugged (just the unplugged
	songs!)):  I would like to find something not just like Operation:
	Livecrime, maybe some Rage or Warning stuff, just not a whole
	O:M show

Well this is all I can think of right now.  But if anyone was some suggestions
I would welcome them.  Also if anyone out there lives in Madison drop me a
line.  Thanks in advance for all your help.

-Jason

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|       Jason T. Breitweg     Internet: email_address_removed     |
|                                                                             |
|           "Tower of Ivory?" they used to say, "House of Gold?"              |
|        "How could a woman be a tower of Ivory or a house of Gold?"          |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 1994 05:40:31 +1000 (EST)
From: Anthony Tully <email_address_removed.au>
Subject: Re: YTSEJAM digest 451

On Sat, 9 Jul 1994 One of Mike Portnoy's Favorites (email_address_removed)
> 
> Date: Fri, 08 Jul 94 21:57:20 EDT
> From: email_address_removed
> Subject: One of Mike Portnoy's Favorites
> 
> On the radio interview with Mike Portnoy (that I believe took place in New
> York), he said that one ofhis favorite groups was PSYCHOTIC WALTZ.  Well, I
> have been into Psychotic Waltz for about three years, and they are by far one
> of the most talented, original, progressive metal bands today.  I was just
> wondering if anyone can tell me what he thinks of them, if he knows them, if
> they are being considered for the tour, and any other related information
> about Psychotic Waltz.  This San Diego band is like nothing you would
> believe.  If you have any rarities (unreleased stuff, posters, tour books,
> photos, t-shirts, etc.) or bootlegs (audio or video), or if you want to know
> more about them and get copies of their stuff, email me at either of the
> following two addresses:  email_address_removed
>                                                            email_address_removed
> (that AOL address may need to be lower case letters so act on that
> appropriately).  Waltz onwards! 
>                                    -Aaron
> 
  Aaron,

  A real good friend of mine sings in a band called TARAMIS(They're an 
Australian Prog Metal band)  they're label mates with PSYCHOTIC WALTZ on 
the RISING SUN LABEL(along with METAL CHURCH, VICIOUS RUMORS and RIOT).  
Taramis's first album was released worldwide on METAL BLADE back in the 
late 80's.  There 2nd album "Stretch of the Imagination" is released  on 
the Rising Sun Label.  Hopefully Taramis can hookup with the guys from 
Pschotic Waltz in the near future and do a joint tour of Europe and then 
possibly the states.  Their third album should b out in the following few 
months.  And Psychotic Waltz are an INCREDIBLE band.  Would any1 have any 
live stuff by the guys(audio and video) I've been hanging to try to find 
some stuff like this by theses guys for ages.  They kick major ass.  
Social Grace has got to be one essential prog metal releases.  Incredible 
album.  I'm just wondering they would sound like with DTs production.  
Shudder at the thought..

Cheers

Anthony.

 > > ------------------------------ > 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jul 1994 11:16:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Annie M. Sorrento" <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: ages

On Tue, 5 Jul 1994, Garrett M Sanborne wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Jul 1994 email_address_removed wrote:
> 
> > Zmaj   4 sharps
> > Which sharps?!?
> > KAI
> 
> 	I'm gonna take a wild guess here: F, C, G, D ?
> 
> 		Sharps progress F C G D E A B and flats opposite.
> :)
> 	G 
> 
> *-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
> |       Garrett M. Sanborne              email_address_removed           |
> |                                        email_address_removed          |
> |  "Do what you love, the rest comes."     "Huh huh .. drums are cool."   |
> *-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
> 
> 
You're such a little smart ass!!   Love you, honey!    A

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
?         ANNIE M. SORRENTO        email_address_removed            ?   
?                                                                     ?  
?         "I BRING LAUGTHER, I BRING MUSIC, I BRING JOY, AND          ?
?          I BRING TEARS. I WILL SOOTHE YOUR PRIMAL FEARS..."         ?
?                         --RUSH:  CYGNUS X-I BOOK II                 ?
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jul 1994 11:07:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Annie M. Sorrento" <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: ages

On Tue, 5 Jul 1994 email_address_removed wrote:

> Zmaj   4 sharps
> Which sharps?!?
> KAI
> 
Obviously, if you follow the circle of 5ths pattern of sharps and flats, 
the four sharps would be: F#, C#, G#, and D#.  Annie
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
?         ANNIE M. SORRENTO        email_address_removed            ?   
?                                                                     ?  
?         "I BRING LAUGTHER, I BRING MUSIC, I BRING JOY, AND          ?
?          I BRING TEARS. I WILL SOOTHE YOUR PRIMAL FEARS..."         ?
?                         --RUSH:  CYGNUS X-I BOOK II                 ?
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Jul 1994 22:46:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: Garrett M Sanborne <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Any attend Live in Toyko show??

On Tue, 5 Jul 1994, hartman larry wrote:
> As you can probably tell, I just got done watching the LiT video.  
> I still love the Breast signing part.  God, I wish I was in Dream Theater! :)
> How many times have you guys (gals) watched it?  Is there anyone out
> there that still doesn't own this video?!  I hope not!!!

	:'( sniff sniff - I don't!!!  Anyone know a cheap place I can
mail order it?  I doubt my local video store will have it. 

*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
|       Garrett M. Sanborne              email_address_removed           |
|                                        email_address_removed          |
|  "Do what you love, the rest comes."     "Huh huh .. drums are cool."   |
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Jul 1994 22:43:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: Garrett M Sanborne <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: YTSEJAM digest 437

On Tue, 5 Jul 1994, BERTAPELLE ADAM RAYE wrote:
> in response to the comment about the triggered snare:
> 
> I agree, that in songs like Another Day, the same heavy snare doesn't
> sound as good as it does on PMU or Metropolis.  But listen to
> Learning to Live.  There are many small grace notes on a "clean"
> snare.  I don't know if Mike was hitting a different drum, or if
> they turned off the trigger.  
> -Adam

	Ok, I think we can all agree that the snare trigger was used in 
all the songs on I&W except LtL.  That was most likely a normal, good old-
fashioned non-triggered snare.  Agreed?  Ok.  :)

*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
|       Garrett M. Sanborne              email_address_removed           |
|                                        email_address_removed          |
|  "Do what you love, the rest comes."     "Huh huh .. drums are cool."   |
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Jul 1994 22:41:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: Garrett M Sanborne <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: YTSEJAM digest 437

On Tue, 5 Jul 1994 email_address_removed wrote:
> ----------------------------------------------  One last thing about 
> triggers in the studio and live is that many of the percussion sounds
> apparent on the I&W songs could not be done without either triggers or
> a percussion section.  For example, the part in Metropolis where it sounds 
> like he's beating on trash cans.  Kick ass, right?  Well those are triggers
> my friend.  
		Actually, my friend, they are what we in the multi-
percussion field call TIMBALES (with a long E). :-)  I doubt they are
triggered due to the technical nature of what Mike plays on them.  If they
are, it's gotta be a very sensitive trigger. 

	Gman
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
|       Garrett M. Sanborne              email_address_removed           |
|                                        email_address_removed          |
|  "Do what you love, the rest comes."     "Huh huh .. drums are cool."   |
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 1994 20:57:26 -0500 (EDT)
From: Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>
Subject: Steve Stone...

Hi all...  I just wanted to let you know some info that I had heard...
I remember hearing a while back about a show at Sundance in Long Islan
(not the instrumental show) with a singer called Michael Stone...  I
also know that Steve Stone was the singer on the vocalist audition
tape...  Anyway, I just heard about a tape (perhapse the same sundance
show) where the singer was Steve Michael Stone, so that explains the
inconsistancy...  Anyway, just though that I'd let you know...  
-- 
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
|		   This world is spinning around me		       |
|		  This world is spinning without me		       |
|		    Every day sends future to past		       |
|	      Every breath leaves me one less to my last	       |
|	Dream Theater	    Pull Me Under	Images and Words       |
|	Michael Burstin			     Brandeis University       |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Let's Go Pens   Let's Go Pens	 Lets Go Pens	 Let's Go Pens |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
For info about Dream Theater, finger email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 94 22:36:12 EST
From: email_address_removed (Tim Gorjanc)
Subject: fortune in lies

Does anyone happen to have the music for this tune?

-Tim

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 94 23:25:57 EDT
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Sharps

I am sick of getting mail from the newsgroup about sharps and flats.  This is
a mailing list for DREAM THEATER I am sure tere is another place online you
babbling fools can talk about this instead of filling up our mail boxes with
it.

Godsize

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 1994 22:30:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: email_address_removed (Richard Toscano)
Subject: Re: Lyrics on LATM

>Hi all,
>I was listening to LATM again these days and noticed something in
>the lyrics of Metropolis. Does James sing there
>"Before the heads have fallen" instead of
>"Before the leaves have fallen" ?
>Or did my ears deceide me?

Well, there was an argument on this list a few weeks back over whether James
had good or bad diction (that is, how understandably the words are sung).  I
insisted and still insist that james has horrible diction, especially in
concert.  Additionally, when you are singing high it is hard to pronounce
the long E vowel sound while retaining vocal powre (go ahead and try it if
your roommates aren't home, you don't have to be a good singer to feel 
how difficult it is.  I know I'm not.)  So between these two facts I would
guess that James is trying to say "leaves", but for a better sonic quality
mispronounces the vowel slightly.

Rich
-- 
           /\    		Rich Toscano              
          /  \            email_address_removed
         /  \ \       -Guitarist of little or no note   
        / ___\ \      -Evolver of supra-genius neural net creatures
       / / _____\
      /_/________\          "Ook" - Safe Chib

------------------------------
End of Digest
************************