Subject: YTSEJAM digest 452
From: email_address_removed
To: Multiple recipients of list <email_address_removed>

Contents:
Re: Sharps & Flats ("James Studnicki (HON)" <email_address_removed>)
Re: Mr. Studnicki (That's my name!) ("James Studnicki (HON)" <email_address_removed>)
NEW ALBUM! ("TIMOTHY LODGE, POLITICAL SCIENCE '95" <email_address_removed>)
Re: Psychotic Waltz (email_address_removed (Richard Toscano))
Re: Sharps & Flats (email_address_removed.de (Tim Schwartz))
Lyrics on LATM (email_address_removed.de (Tim Schwartz))
C-Man (email_address_removed)
Re: Bootlegs (BERTAPELLE  ADAM RAYE <email_address_removed>)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Jul 1994 12:42:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: "James Studnicki (HON)" <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Sharps & Flats

On Sat, 9 Jul 1994, Jens Johansson wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Jul 1994, James Studnicki (HON) wrote:
> 
> > Every Awesome Drummer Gets Bad Ears
> > ~     ~       ~       ~    ~   ~
> 
> In Swedish this one is "En Halv Groda Dansar Aldrig Ensam"...
> 
> 
> Jens.
> 
> 
> PS. "Half a frog never dances alone".. don't ask me why BTW. :)
> 
> 

	Thanx Jens :>  . . . kinda neat.  The "H" in "Halv" -- shouldn't 
it be a word starting with the letter "B"?  I do know that in some 
European countries, they have an additional note name, "H".  Is this the 
case?  Anyone else have any others besides "FACE" and "Every Good Boy 
Does Fine?"

Jim Studnicki
email_address_removed
University of South Florida
Tampa, Florida, USA

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Jul 1994 12:53:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: "James Studnicki (HON)" <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Mr. Studnicki (That's my name!)

On Fri, 8 Jul 1994 James=Utz%Mech%PCPD=email_address_removed wrote:

> 
> I've had pretty good luck meeting band members after shows and getting 
> autographs too.  I just saw Dio last weekend, and got him and his band to 
> sign their latest CD for me.  There were about 50 people hanging around after 
> the show to get autographs.

I don't have a problem with this at all.  I've gotten albums and the back 
of my guitar signed (for inspiration, not glamour or personal profit in a 
resale situation) many times.  That's because it doesn't consist of 
harassment, and it benefits me in terms of helping me to achieve active 
musical goals (i.e., becoming a beter musician, helping me to practice 
more consistently, etc.).

> 
> I don't agree with Mr. Studnicki's comments about "pick hunters" or whatever 
> he called them (us).

I believe I called them, "annoying, insipid creatures."  ;)

> When I go to shows, I go for a number of reasons:
> 
> 1.  Listen to and watch the band.
> 2.  Try to meet the band.
> 3.  Laugh at the people that look like they don't belong at the concert.
> 4.  Walk away with whatever I can get (picks, sticks, songlists, drum heads)
> 
> I collect picks; I've got about 40-50 different ones.  Some picks I've 
> scrapped for, but others have been given to me by security people and 
> roadies.  I wouldn't bother asking them for picks if it didn't work.  I don't 
> see Mr. Studnicki's point.

My point was that all of the "pick hunters" I've ever encountered have
been single-minded and REALLY (when it comes down to it), uninterested in
what the performers are really like.  James, I don't know you -- you may
be the exception to what I've seen.  I think the roadies give out the
picks because they get sick of hearing, "Oh, c'mon man, can't you get me
just one?" and the easiest way to get rid of the irritant is to appease it
and give it what it wants.  I can't tell you how many people I've seen
backstage at shows ask their favorite performer something truly stupid,
like, "Do you want to come to Denny's with us?" or "Next time you're in
town, why don't you come and eat at my restaurant?" Of course they're not
going to do either of the above.  I'll bet you, though, if you try to talk
with an INTELLIGENT performer about something pertinent and related to
them or their interests, their ears will perk up and you will have their
full attention.  Ask Stu Hamm about Danny on "The Partridge Family" or
Steve Morse about flying jets for Delta.  As members of the Dream Theater
mailing list, we can all do this, at least when it comes to Dream Theater! 
Don't bore your favorite players if you meet them.  They're going out of
their way to meet you (assuming you DO get to meet them), so isn't only
fair that you go out of your way to provide some good conversation, not
"Why don't you sit in with us?" You all will notice it when (if?!?  Let's
all hope) you meet a band like Dream Theater backstage and you talk with
them about stuff that's of some substance, not "Can you come over my house
and jam with me?" or the dreaded, "Can I have a pick?"

Jim Studnicki
email_address_removed
University of South Florida
Tampa, Florida, USA

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Jul 1994 15:06:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: "TIMOTHY LODGE, POLITICAL SCIENCE '95" <email_address_removed>
Subject: NEW ALBUM!

This just appeared on the alt.music.dream-theater group on
the USENET. I don't know how true it is, but some of the
song titles are different than we were told..and notice
Space Dye Vest is really Space Divest...which makes a whole
hell of a lot more sense!!!

Tim

--------------------
	From the new FREE Canadian mag, called ENRAGE(which seems to
	have picked up the slack left by M.E.A.T.'s venture into the
	alternative).

	DREAM THEATER

	Progressive geniuses DT have entered One On One Studios in
	California to record their followup to I&W. Working with producers
	DUANE BARON and JOHN PURDELL(OZZY), the band plans to mix the
	album in New York sometime next month. Frontman, Jame LaBrie spoke
	briefly about the new material. "It's still pretty heavy and you
	can obviously tell its DT with respect to the musicainship. This
	time, I'm approaching my vocals more agressively, yet I'm going to
	retain a clean feel." In true DT form, the album clocks in at
	approximately 75 minutes in length. Comprised of 11 tracks, including
	one instrumental, some of the working titles are: 'A MIND BESIDE
	ITSELF(and EPIC spanning 20 minutes), 'THE MIRROR', 'CAUGHT IN A WEB',
	(a potential first single with lyric by LaBrie), 'LIFTING SHADOWS
	OFF A DREAM', 'SPACE DIVEST', 'THE SILENT MAN',and 'BEACHOUSE REALITY'

	Taken without permission etc.

	ERIC

-- 
____________________________________________________________________
" It may be coming back actually... With me in it " KEN WAHL 94/04/29
alt.tv.wiseguy has been proposed/please post support to alt.config
____________________________________________________________________

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Jul 1994 16:32:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: email_address_removed (Richard Toscano)
Subject: Re: Psychotic Waltz

To the guy who asked what we thought about Psychotic Waltz:

I live in San Diego and saw Psychotic Waltz a few weeks back at a very small
club.  I actually wasn't nuts about them.  They didn't really strike me as 
progressive or musically innovative at all, though I wasn't able to stay
for their entire show.  Anyway, I can probably track down their phone number
if you don't already have it.  Let me know if I should.  Also, I'd 
appreciate if you could tell me what other bands you are into, because if we
have similar tastes (besides DT) I should probably give them another chance
and check them out again.

Rich

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 1994 01:53:14 +0200 (CDT)
From: email_address_removed.de (Tim Schwartz)
Subject: Re: Sharps & Flats

> 
> 
> 
> On Sat, 9 Jul 1994, Jens Johansson wrote:
> 
> > On Fri, 8 Jul 1994, James Studnicki (HON) wrote:
> > 
> > > Every Awesome Drummer Gets Bad Ears
> > > ~     ~       ~       ~    ~   ~
> > 
> > In Swedish this one is "En Halv Groda Dansar Aldrig Ensam"...
> > 
> > 
> > Jens.
> > 
> > 
> > PS. "Half a frog never dances alone".. don't ask me why BTW. :)
> > 
> > 
> 
> 	Thanx Jens :>  . . . kinda neat.  The "H" in "Halv" -- shouldn't 
> it be a word starting with the letter "B"?  I do know that in some 
> European countries, they have an additional note name, "H".  Is this the 
> case?  Anyone else have any others besides "FACE" and "Every Good Boy 
> Does Fine?"
> 
> Jim Studnicki
> email_address_removed
> University of South Florida
> Tampa, Florida, USA
> 
> 
Yes you're right, in some european countrys (like germany) your b is
named h, wich is very courios I think. (you know seems logical to call
the notes a b c d e f g, and not a h c d e f g) I think it was some
kind of misunderstanding, 'cause the english b looked a bit like the
german (script) h. I read something like that in a musictheory book
I think (but can't remember exactly). Fact is that this leads to much
trouble in our band practising. You know , I say something like
play a b ( and I mean the english b) and the others play a german b
wich is a bb in your case. Oh thats dazzling :)

bye

Tim Schwartz 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 1994 01:59:52 +0200 (CDT)
From: email_address_removed.de (Tim Schwartz)
Subject: Lyrics on LATM

Hi all,
I was listening to LATM again these days and noticed something in
the lyrics of Metropolis. Does James sing there
"Before the heads have fallen" instead of
"Before the leaves have fallen" ?
Or did my ears deceide me?

(I think you all know where that line comes in the song)

bye

Tim Schwartz

BTW: I'm 22 years old and studing computer sience for 2 years now.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 Jul 94 21:58:35 EDT
From: email_address_removed
Subject: C-Man

C-Man, are you Mike Corso?  I seem to remember you from my CompuServe days?
 How exactly is it that you have direct access to the band - I don't think
that has been mentioned.  Like the time you got all those LaTM promos...

And by 'videotaping' do you mean you're getting them all in a room and
playing 20 questions with them?

Just wondering,

Mike

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Jul 1994 23:09:34 -0600 (MDT)
From: BERTAPELLE  ADAM RAYE <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Bootlegs

In my opinion, I'd much rather get the Lost In the Sky cd over Dance
of Eternity.  I got DOE when it came out, then got a dub of LitS.
The sound qualities of both are incredible (excellent recordings),
but James was having probably the worst night of his life on DOE.  He
sounds terrible, I think.  Oh, wait, I forgot that A Change of
Seasons is on there, too.  That makes it worth it anyway.  Sorry, I
take it back.  Try to get both, though, if you can.
-Adam

------------------------------
End of Digest
************************