Subject: YTSEJAM digest 449
From: email_address_removed
To: Multiple recipients of list <email_address_removed>

Contents:
Ask Dream Theater (Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>)
Ask DT! (Christopher Taylor Oates <email_address_removed>)
Re: YTSEJAM digest 443 (Jens Johansson <email_address_removed>)
Re: address of WWW page? (email_address_removed (Zack Gemmill))
Re: LATM (email_address_removed (Zack Gemmill))
Re: RE: ages (email_address_removed (Zack Gemmill))
Re: Bootlegs (William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>)
Re: the 'ages' thread (email_address_removed)
Re[2]: ages (email_address_removed)
Hard to find Japan LITM? (The Reverend <email_address_removed>)
Ask Dream Theater (email_address_removed.DE)
Anyone in Madison, WI? (Jason Breitweg <email_address_removed>)
venues, signed breasts (email_address_removed (Brian V. Cox))
Re: E-mail questions to Dream Theater! (email_address_removed)
Re: address of WWW page? (email_address_removed)
Age etc... (email_address_removed (Brian V. Cox))
Dance of Eternity (Brent Phillips <email_address_removed>)
High profile musicians meeting "the rest of the Earthlings" ("James Studnicki (HON)" <email_address_removed>)
Re[2]: Music! Music! Music! and some more Music! (email_address_removed)
Re: Info on QR's release date... (RB747491%email_address_removed)
Re: Ask Dream Theater (Stephen Bajzek <[email-masked]>)
Re: Re[2]: YNGWIE and DT (email_address_removed)
Age, et cetera (email_address_removed (Christopher Carrol Simmons))
Flame time (email_address_removed)
Re: LATM (Andrew Cloninger <email_address_removed>)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Jul 1994 23:46:41 -0700 (MST)
From: Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>
Subject: Ask Dream Theater

> construction.  I'm soliciting YOUR questions for the band; ultimately, the

Cool! Here are some of my questions...

* How often do you tape your own performances? To what end? Do you plan 
on releasing live material periodi\cally like Live At The Marquee, or is 
it just to help yo9u play the stuff better?

* On your new tour... whats the verdict? Clubs again? Small 
amphitheaters? Opening at arenas for other bands? Wouldn't your format 
suffer at an arena opening, while the exposure would do you good? What do 
you all think of that double edged sword? :)

* Finally, most important of all, what kinds  of beer do you drink?

Thanks for giving them my questions, in advance, talk to ya mlater!

Mike/email_address_removed/email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jul 1994 00:31:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christopher Taylor Oates <email_address_removed>
Subject: Ask DT!

I posted to the list, cause I think this could benefit from list 
discussion.  ANyway, my question would be to Kevin.  I want to know if he 
has any plans to do "more" keyboard stuff.  As in an Emersonesque or 
Wakemanesque total sensory overload thing.  I love his solos, but I'm 
always left with a "more! more!" feeling aftwerwards...

     ~Chris

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jul 1994 03:31:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jens Johansson <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: YTSEJAM digest 443

On Tue, 5 Jul 1994 email_address_removed wrote:

> O.K., this is going to make me sound really stupid, but who's Watchtower?
> And where can I hear them (get a copy of their stuff)?  

Great band! They had some good demos in the 80's and later made a record
(that came out in Europe at least), I think it may have been on
the German 'Steamhammer' label... 

The singer (when I first heard about them) later joined a band called
Dangerous Toys and the guitar player I think played with Dokken for
a while. (The German album had a different singer from the demos.)

Jens.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jul 94 01:16:39 PDT
From: email_address_removed (Zack Gemmill)
Subject: Re: address of WWW page?

It's:

ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/drkhoe/www/dthome.html

Really cool.  It's linked to a bunch of other prog.
[metal?] bands (Rush, Yes, Marillion) and to other
metal bands (the Metallica home page is awesome!).
To hell with ftp'ing.  Mosaic is the way to go!

Zach

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jul 94 01:17:47 PDT
From: email_address_removed (Zack Gemmill)
Subject: Re: LATM

Since LatM keeps surfacing, I have the import from Germany with 6 songs on it.
I've heard rumors that there is another version (possibly from Japan) with
an extra song on it.  Any truth to this tale?  If so, what tunes are on it?
KAI
email_address_removed
________

The Japanese version has Another Day instead of Surrounded,
I believe.

Zach

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jul 94 01:16:13 PDT
From: email_address_removed (Zack Gemmill)
Subject: Re: RE: ages

Aha!  You bastards all moved somewhere a few weeks ago 
and didn't tell me (maybye I missed an important message
that resulted in me getting dropped from the list), but
to continue this thread...

I'm 22, have a two-year science degree and voc vertificate, 
and work as a process/ electronics tech. in the semiconductor 
industry.  Liberal arts are my first love though.  I'll start
working on my BA/BS next spring.  Now, if only I can convince
the company to pay for a BA in philosophy.

I got all of my friends into DT (and have acquired boots 
for them, too.).  A few years before that, I got most of
them into Rush.  I'm working on Fates Warning next...

Zach

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  7 Jul 1994 08:36:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Bootlegs

just get them. you wont be dissappointed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 94 05:47:26 PST
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Re: the 'ages' thread

Hey DT fans,

> One thing I noticed was the prevalence of computer majors and people with
> computer jobs on this list.  I'm an English major -- are there any more out
> here?  > 
> Stacie
> 
   First of all, I was wondering how Stacie R. is coming to the conclusion
that there are "many DT fans that are in the computer related field or
have computer-type jobs".

   Below are the messages collected over the weeks that seem to say that
there are not that many computer science or computer-oriented minds that
are interested in progressive bands like Dream Theater.

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 94 23:14:28 PDT
From: email_address_removed
Subject: RE: ages

I'm going to turn 21 in about 10 weeks.
And yes i'm working full time as a computer lab person here
on campus.
------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 94 23:58:40 PDT
From: Christopher Taylor Oates <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: A couple of things

re: Ages

I'm 21.5, computer science major, but I am a writer at heart. :)

[stuff deleted]
    ~Chris
--------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Jul 94 15:05:37 PDT
From: Tymoteusz Altman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ages

i'm 22, and a comp. sci. major.
[stuff deleted for brevity]
---------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Jul 94 16:14:11 PDT
From: "Annie M. Sorrento" <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: ages

Dear Stacie-

I'm on the DT list and know about a total of 5 people who listen to DT 
(varying ages).  I'm not a computer major and neither is my boyfriend 
(although he was and just recently switched)  we're both music majors.  I 
sing and he plays drums.  I also know someone who listens and is an 
Accounting major.  So yet there are other people besides computer majors 
on the list.      Annie
-------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Jul 94 14:09:35 PDT
From: email_address_removed
Subject: RE: YTSEJAM digest 443

re: ages

Me, I'm only 22. While I once was a computer person (BS in Electrical
Engineering specialized with computers), now I am only a simple
English major.

[stuff deleted for brevity]
--------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Jul 94 14:09:14 PDT
From: Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Fates/DT tour, and lots of random stuff...

[stuff deleted]
Well...  I am 20, and a co-sci major, and minoring in chem...  I
don't play any instrument...   As far as my friends that listen to
DT, most of them do play some instrument or other (a few guitar
players, one drum, a few bass)...  All of them are around my age... 
-------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Jul 94 22:48:55 PDT
From: "Paul W. Cashman" <email_address_removed>
Subject: DT/Ayn Rand followup (side order of Neil)

[irrelevant stuff deleted]
BTW, I'm 30 going on 19, hold a BS degree in Computer Science which
I seldom make use of, a professional writer as of last November, and
the only instruments I play are the stereo and the steering wheel.  :)
-----------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Jul 94 14:31:54 PDT
From: email_address_removed
Subject: age/occupation thread

Just adding my two cents to the age occupation thread....
I'm 21 years old, a graduate student in electrical engineering/computer science
at MIT, and I am currently working at Lotus Development Corporation...
[and some more...]
----------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 94 23:14:48 PDT
From: Andrew Cloninger <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: ages

For what its worth folks, i got my BA in Psychology, though i WAS a CS 
major for two years prior to changing.  Does that count?

Andrew
(who's probably older than most folks here.....*sigh*)
------------------------------------------------------

   Okay... there ya have it...fans.  There are eleven people that have
replied including this one from me.

   There are 5 solid computer science/EE majors, and 2 that have CS degrees
but also have other (writing) interests.  The others are: 2 music majors,
1 Psychology major (with a decent salary, I bet), and 1 English major who
both used to be CS majors.  The English major also graduated with a degree
in EE/specialized in computers.
   Basically, to sum this up.  There are 5 people on this list that have
responded that either work with computers or have (or are working on) a
degree in Computer Science/Electrical Engineering.  The other 6 people are
'ex-'Computer Science majors or have there degree and are interested in
other things.  Also, I must admit that there are other possible majors for
those that have a NEED for INTELLIGENT music.  Well, I will let ya go for
now.  Sorry, so long!
D.Merrell

Hey Y'all!

Of course there are alot of Computer types here.  

The form of communication happens to be PC.
YTSEJAM would have a hard time working over a string and two cups.

email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 94 05:53:08 PST
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Re[2]: ages

> 
> On Tue, 5 Jul 1994 email_address_removed wrote:
> 
> > Zmaj   4 sharps
> > Which sharps?!?
> > KAI
> 
>  I'm gonna take a wild guess here: F, C, G, D ?
> 
>   Sharps progress F C G D E A B and flats opposite.
> :)
>  G 
> 
> *-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
> |       Garrett M. Sanborne              email_address_removed           |
> |                                        email_address_removed          |
> |  "Do what you love, the rest comes."     "Huh huh .. drums are cool."   |
> *-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
> 
> 

Isn't it "Sharps progress F C G D A E B and flats opposite?

Yeah,

My music teacher told me I could remember it by:

"Father Charles goes down and eats breakfast"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jul 1994 07:55:49 -0500 (CDT)
From: The Reverend <email_address_removed>
Subject: Hard to find Japan LITM?

I just noticed this, after looking around town for a copy of the Japanese
version of LATM.  I see lots of the German versions around, but why not
Japanese ?  Any ideas, anyone?

Rev

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 1994 12:57:11 +0100
From: email_address_removed.DE
Subject: Ask Dream Theater

Hi !

I have a simple question.
When will DT be touring in Europe, especially in Germany ?
Any plans on coming to Germany ? Together with Fates Warning ?
It would be really nice to get information about this !

Thanks !

----- Andreas -----

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jul 94 9:19:23 CDT
From: Jason Breitweg <email_address_removed>
Subject: Anyone in Madison, WI?

Hi All,

Sorry for the non-existant Dream Theater content of this message but I guess
you can just delete this if you don't like it.  I was wondering if there is
anyone on this list from Madison, WI?  I am very new to town and have no idea
where the cool hang out spots are or where I can find good music.  I am 
looking for someone to show me around a bit.  I don't care if you are male
or female,I am not looking for a date just someone in town with the same
musical interests as myself.  So if anyone is out there just e-mail me back
or you can give me a call at 251-4617.

Oh since the common thread is to describe oneself I will say that I am going
to be a new graduate student in the Fall in Physics and I am 21.

-Jason

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|       Jason T. Breitweg     Internet: email_address_removed     |
|                                                                             |
|           "Tower of Ivory?" they used to say, "House of Gold?"              |
|        "How could a woman be a tower of Ivory or a house of Gold?"          |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jul 94 9:22:41 CDT
From: email_address_removed (Brian V. Cox)
Subject: venues, signed breasts

hi, i am bored, so thought i might add to a couple of things:

> What is the largest place DT has played?  Live in Tokyo is the largest
> stage and audience area venue that I have seen.  I've seen them place
> twice here in Baltimore and I've seen 3 or 4 bootleg videos and they
> are all pretty much on the small side compared to the place in
> Live in Tokyo.

Well, they played at Dallas City Limits May 2x, '93.  I don't know if
they sold too many tix, or what, but they moved the show outside.  this
was a planned thing, announced days ahead of the show.  Galactic Cowboys
opened, and they are big here in Texas, so this might have added to the
sales.  Anyway, the parking lot was fenced off, and the stage was huge,
about the size of an arena stage, maybe a little smaller.  There were
TONS of people there.  I am amazed that no vid boots have surfaced, since
many people were just sitting on their cars beyond the fence, i would have
thought someone would have set up a tripod and a high power zoom lens :)
Anyway, it was a lot of people, perfect atmosphere.  Full moon right behind
the stage.  Crystal clear skies.   Perfect.

> As you can probably tell, I just got done watching the LiT video.  
> I still love the Breast signing part.  God, I wish I was in Dream Theater! :)
> How many times have you guys (gals) watched it?  Is there anyone out
> there that still doesn't own this video?!  I hope not!!!

I was at that breast signing.  It was an autoraph session at the Sound 
Warehouse on 1960 and US59, in Humble, Texas.  The first dude in line that
talks (with the flaming heart dt shirt) is my friend Randy.  He says 
"incredible".  I also said something to the camera, but didn't show up in
the vid (i think you can see me way back, i have a galactic cowboys 
shirt on. You can definitely see me when it pans the crowd at the tower
theater, i am in the front, middle of the stage, same shirt.  better have
a good vcr to see me though :)

****************************************************************************
*Brian V. Cox             *"You and I long to live like wind upon the water*
*Texas A&M University     * If we close our eyes, we'll maybe realize      *
*(214)553-9159     	  * There's more to life than what we have known   *
*email_address_removed           * And I can't believe I spent so long            *
*************************** Living lies I knew were wrong inside           *
* "What you believe is    * I've just begun to see the light..."           *
* What you are...Therefore*          -Queensryche "Anybody Listening?"     *
* I am nothing"  -Brian   * "Machines have no conscience..." -Qryche NM156 *
****************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 1994 10:46:08 -0500 (EST)
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Re: E-mail questions to Dream Theater!

Will "Forever" be on the new album?

Has the band played "Light Fuse and Get Away", "The Ones Who Help to Set the 
Sun", or "Afterlife" live since James Labrie has been in the band?  If not,
why not?  Many people would like to hear James do these excellent songs justice.

Has anyone thought of bringing the Majesty '86 demo stuff up to par and 
re-recording it or at least throwing some of it in at shows? 

This is it for now.  If I think of more, I'll pass 'em on.
KAI

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 1994 10:48:37 -0500 (EST)
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Re: address of WWW page?

Please make the address for the DT WWW page public.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jul 94 10:23:07 CDT
From: email_address_removed (Brian V. Cox)
Subject: Age etc...

hi.

i didn't want to get left out of this age/major thread, so here is my story:

I am 22, going to be a fifth year senior in electrical engineering at 
texas a&m, work as a co-op engineer at e-systems, dallas, tx.

been listening to dt for about 5 years, for whatever that is worth...

****************************************************************************
*Brian V. Cox             *"You and I long to live like wind upon the water*
*Texas A&M University     * If we close our eyes, we'll maybe realize      *
*(214)553-9159     	  * There's more to life than what we have known   *
*email_address_removed           * And I can't believe I spent so long            *
*************************** Living lies I knew were wrong inside           *
* "What you believe is    * I've just begun to see the light..."           *
* What you are...Therefore*          -Queensryche "Anybody Listening?"     *
* I am nothing"  -Brian   * "Machines have no conscience..." -Qryche NM156 *
****************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jul 1994 11:27:00 -0400
From: Brent Phillips <email_address_removed>
Subject: Dance of Eternity

Hi all - in case you are having trouble finding Dance of Eternity,
there is a record shop here in Cambridge called Second Coming Records
that will do telephone orders; their # is 617-576-6400.  I bought mine
there for $45 or so. So, if you are having no luck finding DOE (or any
other bootleg, for that matter!), or are too busy to go out looking,
or whatever, and don't mind waiting for a few weeks to get it, give
'em a try; they're generally very cool. IMHO, the world would be a
better place if there were fewer trendoid pop Sam Greedy-type record
stores and more hole-in-the-wall places like Second Coming...

Also, I believe there is a DT bootleg FAQ floating around (I imagine
it's sitting at the DT ftp site) with track listings, etc. for all
the known bootlegs. 

- Brent
(email_address_removed)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jul 1994 11:26:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: "James Studnicki (HON)" <email_address_removed>
Subject: High profile musicians meeting "the rest of the Earthlings"

On Tue, 5 Jul 1994, Eric Moegling wrote:

> O.K. about the security thing...if you were a famed guitarist who played 
> with probably the most popular band in the 70's...and are not doing so 
> well these days (touring in a white minivan and a ryder truck)...you play 
> a way small club in Columbia, Mo. and afterwards have signed a few 
> autographs for members of your fan club (people that payed money to his 
> cause...he charges $15 or so)...then as you're heading out the back 
> you're greeted by all of ten fans wanting to shake your hand, and wish 
> you the best...do you:
> 
> 	1. Say "I'm tired and bummed cause the crowd sucked...but since 
> you're still waiting on me, I'll talk with all of you"
> 
> 	2. Readily accept the fans and hang out with them for a long 
> period of time.
> 
> 	3. Ignore the fans...get in the van...and not even acknowledge 
> their existance.
> 
> Well, Ace chose option #3, and needless to say he lost 10 fans that 
> night! Security was absolutely no factor (four guards around him) 
> considering it was ten of us (hundreds I can understand, but 10?). I tend 
> to disagree...it's not just security, it's also attitude. Later!
> 

	Good point.  I've heard similar stories about Ace being a cock.  I
never really cared for them (Kiss) much anyway -- very unintelligent band. 
Steve Morse is probably the coolest player I know of when it comes to
dealing with post-show hangers-on.  He goes out of his way to talk to
whoever's there, with no security and no "time limit." I met Joe Satriani
on the "Extremist" tour about two years ago, and although he was rushed
and accompanied by these two huge gorillas, he took time to say hello to
everyone there and sign whatever was to be signed.  One thing I've noticed
that does piss these guys off (except for Steve Morse) are those annoying,
insipid creatures known as "pick collectors." They camp out at the gig and
continually ask anything that moves, "Do you have any of X's guitar picks? 
Could you get me some?" Roadies HATE these fools.  I think the reason
everyone tends to dislike them is that they usually don't seem to care
about the actual show, or even the player -- they just want the damn pick! 
I've seen them at various shows on many occasions disappear after getting
their "prize" from a crew guy -- without even meeting the performer.  They
also usually don't even have tickets to the show -- they just show up to
pester and harass.  Just a pet peeve of mine.  ;->
	Also, anyone hear anything about the new Yamaha digital mixer 
that's supposed to start shipping next month?  Any correspondence on that 
would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Studnicki
email_address_removed
University of South Florida
Tampa, Florida, USA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 94 08:55:49 PST
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Re[2]: Music! Music! Music! and some more Music!

    Doug.Drury writes:

> Is there anyone out there who would like to speak in more    
> musical terms about DT.

Yes I would, but I might need some explanation on the theory,
melody,methology, etc....since I have only been playing 2 and 1/2 years on
guitar.

Max "Wouldn't you like to know." Gise

O.K.,

When you hear a melody line over a progression you play on guitar, do you follow
the music or do you add to it with counterpunctal (sp?) movement?  (i.e.)  
Melody moving in the opposite direction to add interest.

Today's pop music seems to have forsaken the idea of interesting melody lines 
for using predictable digestible lines.  While the average listener will not 
mind and can remember the line better, the listener is cheated out of a more 
interesting and moving melody.

Dream Theater has this down to a tee, and still can write a damn memorable hook.

Tell me your take on this...

doug.drury

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 1994 11:01:05 -0600 (CST)
From: RB747491%email_address_removed
Subject: Re: Info on QR's release date...

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  7 Jul 1994 12:26:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: Stephen Bajzek <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ask Dream Theater

One question:

Could you guys play Light Fuse and Get Away on this tour? Please? Pretty
please? and don't even THINK about removing Metropolis form the set
list...

max
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And if the band I'm in starts playing different tunes
You'll see me on the dark side of the moon
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
p.s. I need a drummer, bad. Mail me for info.

oh yeah, and check out http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/usr/sb7h/home

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 1994 13:12:41 -0500 (EST)
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Re: Re[2]: YNGWIE and DT

I just saw Yngwie last night in Pittsburgh at a small club, and he was great,
but his song selection sucked!  3 old songs all night, and guitar solos out
the ass.  I'm sorry, but I would rather hear the whole Marching Out album
than listen to him just play and play and play...   and him with the Hendrix
has got to go.  He wants to be Vivaldi on guitar and Hendrix at the same time,
I think he should lose the hendrix.  Also, if you see the cover of his new
album, his face is shadowed over the whole thing, but his cheeks and chin
don't fit.  This is a good thing.  Yngwie is a fat bastard.  His cheeks are
huge and he has 3 chins.  And with all the eyeliner he had on, I thought I
was at a Culture Club show.  Enough bitching, I did manage to get my Seventh
Sign (his new album) autographed, and went home with a couple of picks. 
Overall, not a bad night.

KAI

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jul 1994 14:08:30 -0500 (CDT)
From: email_address_removed (Christopher Carrol Simmons)
Subject: Age, et cetera

I'm 21. My major is Radio & TV Production. I used to be a Marketing major.
I've never had any computer major. Oh well, just though I would add to the
conversation. 
******************************************************************************
email_address_removed     "Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
email_address_removed               "I think so, Brain, but burlap chafes me so." 
******************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 94 15:54:28 EDT
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Flame time

I don't mind new people on the list, but if you are new, before posting 16
messages - all of which are answered in the FAQ - READ THE GODDAMN FAQ
!!!!!!!!!

And KAI, figure out what you want to ask and post it all in one or two
messages.  10 posts a day - or however many you've averaged over the last two
digests - gets old real quick.

Mike

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jul 1994 18:47:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: Andrew Cloninger <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: LATM

As i was the on who started this most recent LatM thread, allow to ask if 
anyone out there is interested in me PICKING UP this 13.97 CD of LatM? 
Cant really afford to spend that for myself now...but didnt want anyone 
ELSE to miss out on teh opportunity, given how much some people paid for it.

Just wondering,
Andrew

=Rimmer:=======================================================================
There are so many things that WE don't have an explaination for...the pyramids:
how did they move such massive pieces of stone without ...modern techonology?
=Lister: They had massive WHIPS, Rimmer,....massive, massive whips.

------------------------------
End of Digest
************************