Subject: YTSEJAM digest 445
From: email_address_removed
To: Multiple recipients of list <email_address_removed>

Contents:
Re: Trigger snare drum ("James Studnicki (HON)" <email_address_removed>)
something wacky happened (hartman larry <email_address_removed>)
Re: Trigger snare drum (Eric Moegling <email_address_removed>)
HELP PLEASE... (MARK JOHNS <email_address_removed>)
unsubscribe (Cem Unsal <email_address_removed>)
unsubscribe (MARK JOHNS <email_address_removed>)
  (email_address_removed (Jim Dobbins))
Lost In The Sky CD liner (Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Jul 1994 02:13:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: "James Studnicki (HON)" <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Trigger snare drum

On Sat, 2 Jul 1994, hartman larry wrote:

> For all of the people saying that you can't get dynamics with a drum trigger,
> I say "You sure as hell can!".  

	My point was not that you CAN'T get dynamics, but that you're 
never going to perfectly emulate the dynamics of a real snare drum (or 
any other drum).  Remember, there are other dynamics besides volume.  A 
drum's head stretches when it is hit, and obviously it's going to stretch 
more if you hit it harder.  The pitch produced will get higher as the 
amount of stretch increases.  I know, I know, some of the newer drum 
modules try to simulate this by altering the tone slightly as the 
velocity increases.  I have an Alesis D4 and it's good, but I'll take 
a real drum's sounds any day.  I'll guess at the next step up in drum 
machines -- virtual drums, where you can tweak parameters for drum size, 
construction, overtones, etc., much like the "virtual rooms" in some of 
the better reverbs now, where you can set the size of the room, high 
frequency absorption, etc.
	If you want to hear how awesome real drums can sound, check out
Terry Bozzio on Vai's new record, or even better, Chick Corea's "Beneath
the Mask" with Dave Weckl on drums.  Of course Dave's an unbelievable
drummer, so the drums are going to be killer to begin with, but it's VERY
HARD to get those sounds to tape like they managed to.  It's safe to say
that their engineer ate his Wheaties that morning! 

Jim Studnicki
email_address_removed
University of South Florida
Tampa, Florida, USA

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Jul 1994 10:13:12 -0500 (EDT)
From: hartman larry <email_address_removed>
Subject: something wacky happened

I just read the most recent ytsejam and it looks like an old copy of the
ytsejam somehow got attached to my .sig file and when I stuck in my
.sig this old ytsejam was there too.  So I went and used emacs and loaded
up my .sig and sure enough, there was digest number 413 from June the 2nd
on the end.  Oh well, the problem is fixed now...

**************************************************************************
*   Jason Hartman     "I am the Killing Hand!"     email_address_removed   *
*                                                                        *
*  You're fighting the weight of the world,                              *
*  and no one can save you this time.                                    *
*  Close your eyes - you can find all you need in your mind.             * 
*                                                                        *
*                                       "Take the Time"  - Dream Theater *
**************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Jul 1994 13:01:59 -0500 (CDT)
From: Eric Moegling <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Trigger snare drum

About this whole sampled drums thing...it's done out of lazyness...the 
producer has a lot less work to do when the drums are sampled...and it 
saves a ton of studio time...so budget-wise it was probably a good move 
for all partyies involved financially. Without the sampled drums there is 
a ton of mic placement involved...compressors...effects...plus the 
dynamics of the room (which might be another reason they went through 
with the sampled sound)...and a ton of technical crap that just wastes 
money (sure it sounds better...but beggars can't be choosers). With the 
new album DT has more money to spend on studio time, so expect better 
quality, and perhaps a totally different drums sound. Take it easy fellow 
DT fans! Later!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to the circle of fifths, and the pattern of sharps and flats: 
If the alphabet continued as notes progressed (Using Major Key Sig's) (i.e
A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, etc.) eventually the key of Z Major 
would have 4 sharps.                     

  			    email_address_removed
           ERIC MOEGLING:     
			    email_address_removed	
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 Jul 1994 16:24:59 -0500 (EST)
From: MARK JOHNS <email_address_removed>
Subject: HELP PLEASE...

Will someone mail me how to unsubscribe to the list?

Thanks

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Jul 94 16:27:24 -0400
From: Cem Unsal <email_address_removed>
Subject: unsubscribe

unsubscribe ytsejam Cem Unsal

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 Jul 1994 19:11:37 -0500 (EST)
From: MARK JOHNS <email_address_removed>
Subject: unsubscribe

unsubscribe ytsejam Mark Johns

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Jul 94 20:36:44 CDT
From: email_address_removed (Jim Dobbins)
Subject:  

unsubscribe ytsejam jim dobbins

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Jul 1994 23:40:41 -0500 (EDT)
From: Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>
Subject: Lost In The Sky CD liner

Well, I just got bored, and decided to make up a new case for my Lost
In The Sky CDs, so I don't wear out the cool cover...  Anyway, I made
up a cool little CD liner fot a double CD case...  It is saved in Word
For Windows 6.0 format, and I am goint to try to save it with the font
that I used for the liner...  (I think that it is a really cool
font...)  (The name of the font is Algerian)  I am going to try to put
a copy into the FTP site in a little bit...  I am not sure what dir it
will end up in, but the file will be called lost_in.zip.  Just unzip
it & open it up in Word 6.0...  I am not sure if it would save all
formats (columns, font (actual font, not just name) if I saved it in
another format...)  I also used all song names that I know...  (like
Pup, Eve, etc...)
-- 
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
|		   This world is spinning around me		       |
|		  This world is spinning without me		       |
|		    Every day sends future to past		       |
|	      Every breath leaves me one less to my last	       |
|	Dream Theater	    Pull Me Under	Images and Words       |
|	Michael Burstin			     Brandeis University       |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Let's Go Pens   Let's Go Pens	 Lets Go Pens	 Let's Go Pens |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
For info about Dream Theater, finger email_address_removed

------------------------------
End of Digest
************************