Subject: YTSEJAM digest 442
From: email_address_removed
To: Multiple recipients of list <email_address_removed>

Contents:
Re: Thoughts. . . (email_address_removed.ac.uk)
Re: YTSEJAM digest 437 (email_address_removed.de (Tim Schwartz))
Fates Warning interview-LONG 10K+ (Pat Daugherty <pdaugher@bdmserver>)
ages (email_address_removed (Stacie Rosenzweig))
Re: A couple of things ("James Studnicki (HON)" <email_address_removed>)
Lame .sig file (email_address_removed)
RE: ages ("TIMOTHY LODGE, POLITICAL SCIENCE '95" <email_address_removed>)
Re: ages (Andrew Cloninger <email_address_removed>)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 94 10:33:53 BST
From: email_address_removed.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Thoughts. . .

Okay, nobody panic!!

It may take a while, but I will eventually have a copy of the radio show
that should have gone out last Sunday. I got my sister to record it for
me and, if she remembered to, she's going to get it to me sometime this
week or next. I live in Birmingham, England, so it all depends on the
postal services, but once I've got it, I'll transcribe the whole thing
for anyone whose interested, not that any would be...;)

Hell, if I'm really bored, I'll try transcribing any songs they do as
well.

See y'all,

Matt

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 1994 12:22:30 +0200 (CDT)
From: email_address_removed.de (Tim Schwartz)
Subject: Re: YTSEJAM digest 437

> 
> The snare drum on I&W was recorded with a device called an acoustic
> trigger.  It hooks up to the rim of the snare, so when you hit it,
> an electronic sample is triggered, and that's the drum sound you
> hear.  Notice how the sare sounds more electric than the other
> drums.  No matter how hard you hit it, where you hit the drum head,
> or what you hit it with, you will always get the same sound.
> 
> And. personally, I kinda like it.
> 
Hi,
I'm a guitarist and not a drummer(but I'm very interested in drumming) and
I remember when first listening to I&W I didn't like the drumming too much.
(too sterile, and too much doublebase) I now like it , but after reading
this posting I realize what I really didn't like about it. (the sound)
Could it be that it's absolutly impossible to record ghostnotes with
that technique? (and I'm a big fan of ghostnotes :) )

bye for now,

Tim "the Haze" Schwartz

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 1994 11:05:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: Pat Daugherty <pdaugher@bdmserver>
Subject: Fates Warning interview-LONG 10K+

I found the following interview at mtv.com and since this list
is not that busy lately I will post it here for the Fates fans.

                               [IMAGE] ADAM CURRY
                                       
Fates Warning

==========================================================================

Exclusive interview with Fates Warning's guitarist Jim Matheos
--------------------------------------------------------------

        For those who have long been in the underground, Fates Warning are
not big news. Under the name of Misfits, they started as a melodic hard rock
band in Cincinatti, early 80s, and soon they changed their name to Fates
Warning and released "Night of the Broken" (1984) through Metal Blade. The
contract came after the very nice reviews they received with their
appearence in Metal Blade's Metal Massacre V compilation album earlier that
year (just a reminder that Metal Massacre I featured bands as Ratt and
Metallica!).

        Many albums followed and Fates Warning made their name big in the
heavy/epic metal underground scene. Unlike other bands of the same era,
Queensryche for example, they didn't manage to have the big breakthrough
although their latest effort, "Parallels", received some amazing reviews
from press worldwide three years ago. It is now 1994, and July signals the
month that Fates Warning release their 7th studio album. "Inside Out", the
title of the album, is also a turning-point to some older music formulas,
more heavy and progressive than commercial and straightforward as "Parallels"
by popular belief was. Jim Matheos, guitarist composer and founder member of
the band, is on the other side of the line giving us the last details before
the album hit the streets, July 21st.

        It is strange that all five members of the band, Jim, vocalist Ray
Alder, guitarist Frank Aresti, bassist Joe Dibiase and (and ex ledgendary
Warlord) drummer Mark Zonder live in different parts of the States and
composing the stuff happens through ... mail! "Well, that's the way we
always composed the stuff for our albums. Last time it was the first time
that we also spend about four months to rehearse the stuff before we entered
the studio. This time we directly entered the studio and start recording
the album, we learnt the material from tapes and we directly recorded it".
How difficult is to do the job this way and in which way does it affect the
final project? "Well...it's not as difficult as in the first place it seems
to be, you loose some of the interaction that you have in a rehearsal type
of situation, but everybody has his input in the end, I don't think it lacks
anything if it was done in another way. When you also record, you record by
yourself, so it's the same kind of thing". Yeah, but if you rehearse live,
you have the other members putting their touch in the songs while if you
rehearse alone then it's a one-man-product I suppose. "We send tapes to each
other, we communicate through phone all the time, we give suggestions, so
this kind of interaction exists, in another form though. What you eventually
hear on the advance tape is a combination of input of all five, not only me".

        "It is also the fact that I was always writing more of the music,
basic structures, and lyrics, and this happened this time too, that I wrote
all music and all lyrics except two songs that Frank and Ray wrote the stuff"
Why did it take that much time to release "Inside Out", it's about three
years since you released "Parallels". "We released "Parallels" in the summer
of 1991, then we toured the States and we wanted to tour Europe too but there
was not that much of a support from the label at that time. Maybe they
thought that a European tour will not be that much beneficial for us, or they
didn't want to spend money supporting the tour. At that point our contract
also expired and we were shopping deals with different labels overseas, we
end up with a different label in Europe and Japan for "Inside Out" than
the one we have in the US (Metal Blade). I guess the new labels we got over
there will support us more for the new tour".

        "It is also the fact that we sat down and we tried to figure out were
things were going". What do you mean? About what you should do with Fates
Warning, split or go further on with the band? "That was out initial thought.
We've been together for 12 years, recording and touring all the time, and you
come to the point you get tired seeing things not working out the way you
wanted them to work. 'Parallels' was doing great when it was first released,
and we received some great reviews, but it didn't sound that the label
supported the 'Eye to Eye' single/video the way they should. That was kind of
sad, myself listening back to 'Parallels' I still like the album. Although
it is three years old, I like it as much as I do like the new album. This is
kind of strange for me, I usually find a lot of stuff to my previous albums
that I don't like as year go passing by and I listen them over and over
again". It was also the rumours of the Warlord re-union and Mark leaving the
band to play there... "That was something different, he got an offer to do a
Warlord re-union album in his spare time, there was never a posibility that
he quits Fates Warning or so. I don't know why press wrote that he had to
leave Fates Warning and join Warlord, but anyways, the re-union thing
finally didn't happen so there's not much to speak about anymore".

        "We also recorded a couple of songs and tried to shop a deal with a
major label, but we didn't find any interest from there. This dissapointed
us, the whole thing was kind of frustrating for the band and it was then that
we start questioning ourselves if we should go on or not. When we decided to
release another album, we re-structured our contract with Metal Blade cause
they always did a descent job for us in the States, and we started working
for the new release". If Fates Warning splitted at that time, would you go
on with the music or completely quit it? "Definetely I would continue,
there's a great amount of things I can do, like the solo album I did a year
ago, with the chellos, violins and acoustic guitars, a new-age kind of
project". Is it like "Scenes", the second solo album Megadeth's guitarist
Marty Friedman did in late 1992? "Being honest I haven't heard the album
myself, but I heard a lot of people comparing my work with his, so I would
assume that it is kind of similar thing". By the way, what kind of stuff do
you listen lately? "I always listened to Dream Theatre, I liked this band and
supported it from their early demos stage. Then "Brave" from Marillion and
the new Pink Floyd are the albums that I consider the best for 1994 so far".

        With 'Paralles' Fates Warning were strongly compared to what
Queensryche did with their 'Empire' album. 'Inside Out' is much less polished
more agressive, raw, and more to the epic heavy metal side Fates Warning were
playing in their 'No Exit' and 'Perfect Symmetry' (1987, 1989 respectively)
albums. "Definetely this is true, it might be because we had a different
producer this time, Bill Metoyer, or the way that I've written the stuff, it
reminded me the way I was writing in past. It is hard to explain why, since
I always was writing the way it comes out of me". Do you think that
'Parallels' was too much of a polished album? "Well, I kind of disagree but
I heard many people saying that, that it was more polished, more formatted,
less experimental and there was much less variety in there. This was an
issue I tried to address on the writing of the new material, to have a few
more different kind of songs in there, some heavier, some more melodic...".
There're also some very long epic-anthems in there reminding me the old Fates
Warning material..."Yes, but this is something that I cannot explain, I
cannot find a reason behind since that's the way that I felt when writing it,
I did not try to put a limit on how long a song should be and sacrify the
completeness of the song"

        "As far as the production is concerned, it was a concious effort to
make it sound more heavy". Bill was a guy you've worked with in past, is
that right? "Yeah, we did our first albums with Bill". How did it feel
working with him again? "Actually we wanted Bill to work with us again,
because it was easier for us, we know him and we're really good friends. He
also did my solo album and he did a great job on it, I was kind of impressed.
It is easier to work with him since we know him, it feels more comfortable,
while last time, when we recorded with Terry Brown we were kind of
prejudiced since he's such a great Rush fan (Terry Brown did nearly all
early Rush albums, 2112, Caress of Steel, Fly By Night, Hemispheres, Moving
Pictures, and Signals among others, ED).

        So what future holds for Fates Warning? "Ha-ha...who knows?! I've
given up trying to predict the future! We release the album, we are trying
to put up a US tour together with Dream Theatre, I think they release a new
album later this year, and in the meantime we play some dates in Europe,
including one festival supporting Whitesnake". And last question, why do you
believe the big-thing didn't happen for Fates Warning, as it did with bands
as Queensryche and lately with Dream Theatre? "It's hard to say, I don't know
really. With the same token there are many bands that had a lot of potential
and started at the same time we and Queensryche did and broken up soon after
without doing even what we've done. So I consider ourselves being lucky that
we are still in the position to record albums for a big indy label (Metal
Blade used to be distributed by Warner Bros, but I don't know if it still
happens this way, ED), and do tours. Why we haven't reached the same kind of
critical commercial success is something I don't know, we'll try to fix it
and get the same success, but it's hard to predict. We just try to do the
best we can, and that's the only thing a band can do!"

-Andreas Veneris   email_address_removed

_______________________________________________________________________________
    -Andreas Veneris email_address_removed

Pat Daugherty             email_address_removed
"Every breath leaves me one less to my last" --Dream Theater
"That is not an option, Mr. Mulder" --X-Files

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 1994 14:45:35 +22304916 (CDT)
From: email_address_removed (Stacie Rosenzweig)
Subject: ages

Someone asked how old the DT list people are.

I'm 18, and I know a total of one other DT fan, who is almost 22.  (not on
this list)

One thing I noticed was the prevalence of computer majors and people with
computer jobs on this list.  I'm an English major -- are there any more out
here?  

Stacie

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 1994 15:38:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: "James Studnicki (HON)" <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: A couple of things

On Wed, 29 Jun 1994, Tim Villa wrote:

> I have to say that I really like the snare sound on I&W.  This is
> probably due to my background in being a listener of techno where I
> developed an appreciation of cool samples.  For some reason the same
> drum sound on an entire album doesn't worry me, in fact I think it
> actually defines the "sound" of the album in my mind.
> 
> Everyone has their own tastes I guess!

	I guess I just feel that a sampled snare detracts from the dynamics of 
the drummer.  It sounds OK when used by itself (i.e. no fast fills), but 
to me, the retriggering makes the drums sound too much like (?!) a sampler.

> 
> > From: Evan Thomson <email_address_removed.oz.au>
> > Subject: Re:  Guitar Players on the List...
> > 
> > Hell yes there are guitar players here!! :) Well I am anyway.
> > I would like to hear some guitarists views on John P.'s solos on the
> > Take The Time live vid (I&W in Tokyo).  When I bought this video I was
> > blown away....I mean I knew he was good...but!!
> > It kinda makes me sad just watching it...
> > 
> Whenever I see John Williams (classical guitarist) playing I feel
> depressed.  He must have started learning at a very early age, while I'm
> 22 and have only been playing for about 18 months.

	Don't get depressed -- get inspired.  You are as good as the 
amount of time you put in.  Period.  I used to think that great musicians 
were inherintely weird.  Now I understand that they're just more 
disciplined than most people.  Once you accept that and start applying it 
to your own practice time, it becomes pretty normal.  I've said it 
before, and I'll say it again -- they're not Gods, they're human beings.

> 
> Speaking of age, I've been wondering what sort of age groups are 
> represented on this list? 

I'm 20, almost 21.

> I also have a Fender Squire which I hardly touch anymore and a couple of
> acoustics.  My amp is just a 10W Crate, pretty loud for 10W put not much
> of a sound.

I used to have a Strat but I sold it and got an Ibanez 540SLTD.  Wizard
necks are cool.  The stock pickups were pretty good (esp. the IBZ F1), but
I ripped 'em out and put in DiMarzio Evolutions and an HS-2.  I like it. 
Amp-wise, I use a Marshall 30th Anniversary full stack.  It rules and I've
never heard another amp (no, not even the Dual Rectifier or TriAxis) that
even comes close.  The new Bogner is hot, though.  So is the Peavey EVH. 
Sounds totally different.  I've also got an Ovation 1993 Collector's
Edition Elite. 

Jim Studnicki
email_address_removed
University of South Florida
Tampa, Florida, USA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 94 18:22:55 EDT
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Lame .sig file

Sorry my attempt at a .sig file in the last digest failed miserably.  AOL is
not exactly built for speed.

Butthead had just got done telling Beavis how Metallica wasn't really all
that cool - to which Beavis replied that he would kick Butthead's ass.  And
Butthead said, "Go on with your bad self, Beavis."

How can I like such intelligent music and also get off on the dumbest show on
the tube?

Mike

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 1994 20:02:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: "TIMOTHY LODGE, POLITICAL SCIENCE '95" <email_address_removed>
Subject: RE: ages

I'm going to turn 21 in about 10 weeks.
And yes i'm working full time as a computer lab person here
on campus.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 1994 20:15:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: Andrew Cloninger <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: ages

On Thu, 30 Jun 1994, Stacie Rosenzweig wrote:

> Someone asked how old the DT list people are.
> 
> I'm 18, and I know a total of one other DT fan, who is almost 22.  (not on
> this list)
> One thing I noticed was the prevalence of computer majors and people with
> computer jobs on this list.  I'm an English major -- are there any more out
> here?  
> Stacie
For what its worth folks, i got my BA in Psychology, though i WAS a CS 
major for two years prior to changing.  Does that count?

Andrew
(who's probably older than most folks here.....*sigh*)

------------------------------
End of Digest
************************