Subject: YTSEJAM digest 440
From: email_address_removed
To: Multiple recipients of list <email_address_removed>

Contents:
Re: DT's new producers (Garrett M Sanborne <email_address_removed>)
Re: YNGWIE and DT (Garrett M Sanborne <email_address_removed>)
Re:  Guitar Players on the List... (Evan Thomson <email_address_removed.oz.au>)
Dreambill, Limelight, etc.... ("AN ANGEL'S KISS...NOW FALLEN...." <email_address_removed>)
DreamBill description ("AN ANGEL'S KISS...NOW FALLEN...." <email_address_removed>)
Re: YNGWIE and DT (email_address_removed)
Re: DreamBill description (MARK JOHNS <email_address_removed>)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 1994 21:22:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: Garrett M Sanborne <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: DT's new producers

On Sat, 25 Jun 1994, Chris White wrote:

>   Ok, I'm going to show my musical ignorance here, but it's been bugging
> me for a long time, so I'm gonna ask.  What's wrong with the drums on
> I&W? I'm not a musician, just like listening to it, but I don't see what
> everyone's complaining about.  I also don't understand what this
> "drum sampling" stuff is.  Someone wanna fill me in? :)  Thanks. 
>       Chris
> 
	Well, first of all, don't worry about looking ignorant, everyone can 
always learn something!  Anyway, I would like to say that I love Mike's 
drumming, it's the mixed sound that I have a problem with.  Basically, 
the snare is ugly.  It's a cool sound, but it's EXACTLY the same every hit,
no dynamic changes, accents, etc.  For comparison listen to Mr. Peart on 
"Where's My Thing" at :47 (great grace notes and accents), 2:21, 2:29, 
and of course 2:42 -- those fills would sound terrible with the 
drum sound on I&W.  Another problem is that when fast licks or flams are 
played, the sample tends to skip, leaving a really sick sound.  For 
example, check out 2:33 in TTT and :30 in LTL.  The notes close together 
are choppy sounding due to the sample.
	Hope this cleared up the problem some of us appear to have with 
the drum sound!  Happy listening!  And here's to new mixing on _Awake_ !!
 
				Garrett
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
|       Garrett M. Sanborne              email_address_removed           |
|                                        email_address_removed          |
|  "Do what you love, the rest comes."     "Huh huh .. drums are cool."   |
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 1994 21:40:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: Garrett M Sanborne <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: YNGWIE and DT

On Mon, 27 Jun 1994, Kelly Johnson wrote:
> Since when is Malmsteen THE MASTER OF MUSICAL TASTE.  Saying that
> if he thinks its good, then it must be good is ridiculous.  Hey,
> I think Malmsteen is an incredibly talented (I've seen him live
> twice) guitarist, but I think his song writing is pretty lame.
> Everything sounds like an opportunity for him to show off his
> ability to play fast arpeggio's.  I'll take DREAM THEATER over
> Malmsteen any time.  Malmsteen can play faster, but who cares!
> 
	Right on!  It takes a LOT more than speed to sound good.  
Writing's the important part of music anyway, if you can play awesome 
licks and with amazing speed it doesn't matter if you can't write a 
good-sounding song with them.  Speed metal's a great example of 
songwriting sacrificed for speed.  Sure, double bass 16th's at 10 billion 
bpm sounds cool, for the first minute.  It has to be *musical*, or it's 
just showing off. 

	JM2C,
		G
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
|       Garrett M. Sanborne              email_address_removed           |
|                                        email_address_removed          |
|  "Do what you love, the rest comes."     "Huh huh .. drums are cool."   |
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 94 14:03:22 EST
From: Evan Thomson <email_address_removed.oz.au>
Subject: Re:  Guitar Players on the List...

Hell yes there are guitar players here!! :) Well I am anyway.
I would like to hear some guitarists views on John P.'s solos on the
Take The Time live vid (I&W in Tokyo).  When I bought this video I was
blown away....I mean I knew he was good...but!!
It kinda makes me sad just watching it...

	Do we all think that he is a guy that used to practice more than h n 
he slept...like 10 hours a day?? I think he did, and god damnit.. I'm
grateful!! :)  

	I hear that the Ibanez RGX's are about $1900 over hear (Australia)
.......I might start saving my pennies!

		Bya! Evan Thomson

	"no gratuitous quote from a DT song" - me.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 1994 11:44:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: "AN ANGEL'S KISS...NOW FALLEN...." <email_address_removed>
Subject: Dreambill, Limelight, etc....

	The Limelight in NYC IS a refurbished church, which makes for
	awkward spacing, but a kewl medieval/gothic atmosphere.  It is 
	usually a dance club, with alternative nights during the week 
	along with other various theme-related nights.  They do have shows
	sometimes, but the majority of the times it is dancing.  A cool
	thing they used to have were cages suspended from the ceiling of
	the main floor, where "cage girls" would dance, but I believe 
	they stopped doing that, although it was very kewl. :)
		The Dream Theater show was not very well-known, as far as
	word-of-mouth/advertising, but one radio station here in the area
	(WSOU), basically the only metal station around here, did have 
	ticket giveaways, etc......Rumors were floating around of it being
	an actual show with regards to like a play production of sorts
	with a story, laser lights, etc...which was difficult to picture
	considering the songs really didn't flow together as a story.
		However, when I had gotten there, there was a "club crier"
	of sorts outside handing out the DreamBills to everyone on line, 
	which I thought was pretty interesting.  Once inside, the show
	basically began like a regular show - with "Metropolis" to begin, etc.
	A cool thing that the show had was a huge tapestry-type deal of 
	the background you see in the group-photo insert of I&W, with the
	columns and stuff.  Dunno if this was just that show that had it, but
	a lot pf people were commenting on it.
		The show itself was great, very tight from what I remember
	(which is not a surprise at all), and I remember a friend of mine
	mentioning that Meanstreak (Petrucci's wife's band) being there on 
	the balcony to the stage-left side of the place.
	DreamBill), and included the "world premiere" of the "Take the Time"
	video.  A big screen came down from the ceiling and the video was
	shown - then with about a minute of the show left, the screen went
	halfway up, so all I caught was the top half of the end of it..:)
		All in all, a very great show - one I will never forget, 
	as you can obviously see - my first DT show, too....

	about it, so I figure I would oblige.....:)

					- Al

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Adesso che ho perso 				email_address_removed
 la vista, ci vedo meglio e di piu."            ABALKIEW@SITVXC

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 1994 12:00:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: "AN ANGEL'S KISS...NOW FALLEN...." <email_address_removed>
Subject: DreamBill description

	OK, just when you thought you had enough of me, eh? :)

	Here is a description of the Dreambill to those interested and
	who can't can't some kind of copy of it.....

				COVER

	The cover has the word DREAMBILL in the PLAYBILL font found on 
	the play things...:)
			Limelight - March 4, 1993

	The picture on the cover is that of the I&W cover with the following:

	"Images and Words - An Evening with Dream Theater"

			INSIDE OF COVER

	The inside of the cover has a bio pic of the band...

			FIRST PAGE
	
	The first page is the title page, listing the title of the show, 
	presenters of the show, etc...
	The neat thing about the title page is that in listing the members of 
	DT, they say " CAST - (in alphabetical order)" - neat touch! :), alog
	with the phrase "original cast recording on Atco Records"

			PAGES 2 & #

	Pages 2 and 3 contain the bio that I posted a while back and was 
	re-posted a couple days ago.....

			PAGE 4

	Page 4 is the listing of "MUSICAL NUMBERS", with a listing of the
	songs they performed, each song prefaced by "SCENE #", e.g., 
	SCENE 1 .............................   METROPOLIS
	SCENE 2 .............................   A FORTUNE IN LIES

				etc.....

			PAGE 5

	Page 5 is just a listing of the limelight personnel, booking agency,
	travel company, promoter, crew, management, and record company - 
	you know, the beaureaucratic boring shit....

			PAGE 6 - the back cover

	The back cover has the DT logo on the top third of the page (the M
	of whatever in the Queen Mary of Scots font or whatever...) and the
	"DREAM THEATER" on the bottom of the page.....

	In between the two is the following quote from Henry Miller:

		"Every man Jack of us moves without feet at least a few
		 hours a day, when his eyes are closed and his body prone.
		 The art of dreaming when wide awake will be in the power
		 of every man one day.  Long before that books will cease
		 to exist, for when men are wide awake AND dreaming their
		 powers of communication (with one another and with the
		 spirit that moves all men) will be so enhanced as to make
		 writing seem like the harsh and raucous squawks of an
		 idiot."

		And there ya have it, the DreamBill in a nutshell - (though
	its a really kewl thing to have...NYAHHH! :) )

		Oh, and to those who were wondering.....

		yes I do have a life....I was just bored, ok?

	Anything to help out a fellow ytsejammer! :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Damn these sig files are a pain in the ass!!!!"

						ABALKIEW@SITVXC
						email_address_removed
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 94 17:11:58 EDT
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Re: YNGWIE and DT

> he loves Dream Theater, especially Kevin Moore. Now, if you can get YM to
> like you, you must be fuckin' good.
> 
> I'd transcribe the review, but I was too cheap to actually buy the
magazine.
> 
> Be warned though, he does slag Portnoy. Seems YM doesn't like him at all. 
> 

Kelly replies:
///Since when is Malmsteen THE MASTER OF MUSICAL TASTE.  ///Saying that
///if he thinks its good, then it must be good is ridiculous.  Hey,
///I think Malmsteen is an incredibly talented (I've seen him live
///twice) guitarist, but I think his song writing is pretty lame.
///Everything sounds like an opportunity for him to show off his
///ability to play fast arpeggio's.  I'll take DREAM THEATER over
///Malmsteen any time.  Malmsteen can play faster, but who cares!

Hey now, calm down. Too bad there isn't a symbol for "tongue in cheek" The
only thing I know about YM is that he has a huge ego and puts down most other
bands. The point I was trying to make was that DT is so stupendously talented
that even YM's ego would admit that they were good. No, he is not the MAster
Of Musical Tastes, just the opposite. 

Boy, if get this wild AND YM likes DT, then you'd definitely go over the edge
if YM hated DT. 

Andy

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 1994 20:58:44 -0500 (EST)
From: MARK JOHNS <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: DreamBill description

unsubscribe me please

------------------------------
End of Digest
************************