Subject: YTSEJAM digest 437
From: email_address_removed
To: Multiple recipients of list <email_address_removed>

Contents:
new producers & drum sound (Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>)
YNGWIE and  DT (email_address_removed)
Re: DT's new producers (email_address_removed (Chris White))
Re: DT's new producers (Stephen Bajzek <[email-masked]>)
Re: Awake in Digital? (email_address_removed)
unsubscribe (email_address_removed (BRISTOW,JAY STERLING))

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Jun 1994 11:15:50 -0500 (EDT)
From: Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>
Subject: new producers & drum sound

> Date: Thu, 23 Jun 1994 22:41:50 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "James Studnicki (HON)" <email_address_removed>
> Subject: Re: DT's new producers
> 
> 	I'll be honest with you guys, I think DT could have done a helluva
> lot better with the drum sounds on I & W.  Why on earth would they use
> triggered samples instead of the real McCoy?  I understand they went back
> and percentage-quantized the drum sequence to tighten up the tracks even
> more, but couldn't they at least have used some better samples? 

Well, the one thing that I did say (and have heard) is that Mike was
quite unhappy with the drum sound on I&W, but is pleased with the
sound on Awake...  This would make me think that there will be real
drums on Awake...  

--
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
|		   This world is spinning around me		       |
|		  This world is spinning without me		       |
|		    Every day sends future to past		       |
|	      Every breath leaves me one less to my last	       |
|	Dream Theater	    Pull Me Under	Images and Words       |
|	Michael Burstin			     Brandeis University       |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Let's Go Pens   Let's Go Pens	 Lets Go Pens	 Let's Go Pens |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
For info about Dream Theater, finger email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Jun 94 12:55:20 EDT
From: email_address_removed
Subject: YNGWIE and  DT

While all you guys are fuming over the Blind Melon quotes (oh my God, you
mean someone doesn't like Dream Theater?), you might want to check out the
new issue of Guitar World. There is an article where Malmsteen rates
different songs from different bands and he basically hates them all. EXCEPT
DREAM THEATER. He critiques Under A Glass Moon and he goes on to say how much
he loves Dream Theater, especially Kevin Moore. Now, if you can get YM to
like you, you must be fuckin' good.

I'd transcribe the review, but I was too cheap to actually buy the magazine.

Be warned though, he does slag Portnoy. Seems YM doesn't like him at all. 

Andy

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Jun 94 13:28:53 EDT
From: email_address_removed (Chris White)
Subject: Re: DT's new producers

  Ok, I'm going to show my musical ignorance here, but it's been bugging
me for a long time, so I'm gonna ask.  What's wrong with the drums on
I&W? I'm not a musician, just like listening to it, but I don't see what
everyone's complaining about.  I also don't understand what this
"drum sampling" stuff is.  Someone wanna fill me in? :)  Thanks. 
      Chris

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Jun 1994 19:27:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: Stephen Bajzek <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: DT's new producers

Excerpts from mail: 25-Jun-94 Re: DT's new producers by Chris
email_address_removed. 
>   Ok, I'm going to show my musical ignorance here, but it's been bugging
> me for a long time, so I'm gonna ask.  What's wrong with the drums on
> I&W? I'm not a musician, just like listening to it, but I don't see what
> everyone's complaining about.  I also don't understand what this
> "drum sampling" stuff is.  Someone wanna fill me in? :)  Thanks. 

Drum sample = Mike hits the drum, it triggers a sound from a drum that
is not Mike's.

The problem with this is every time he hits a snare, it sounds exactly
the same. Listen to Live at the Marquee or a bootleg or something and
Mike's drumming will sound much more alive and less like a machine.

max
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No no no, you don't understand...when I'm here, at night, alone, this
world is mine...reality conforms to what I want it to be. If I say
something is cool, then it is. And in my world, hanging upside down like
a bat is not just cool, it's practically heroism.

p.s. I need a drummer, bad. Mail me for info.

oh yeah, and check out http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/usr/sb7h/home

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Jun 94 20:47:01 EDT
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Re: Awake in Digital?

Dr. Mosh writes:
//I guess you would be referring to if Awake is recording, mixed and
mastered finally into full digital...  Well, I sure hope so!  Nowadays
pro-digital equipment is superior to analog.  No generation loss and the
ultimate in resolution,//

I don't pretend to be an expert in recording but I do hope it's in
digital, too. The technology has really come a long way since
the first digital recordings to the point where it is a real ad-
vantage, IMHO. Early recordings were very sterile and overly
crisp but now most of them can be called pristine. With the 
technology pushing the envelope ever further, we as listeners
have a lot to look forward to. For instance, I think the latest
offering by Yes is fantastic, from a digital standpoint. Rather
than use the usual Sony technology, which I believe is a digital
tape medium, Yes used the Mark Of The Unicorn software and 
'saved' the entire album to hard drives, some 36 gigs worth. 
The result is an album very well-produced and the richest, 
warmest sounding digital recording I've ever heard. Even the 
bottom end is well-rounded and isn't lost in the mix as many 
digital recordings can be. So, the more artists use digital, the
more the techniques and technology will be perfected. 

StmpyJCat

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Jun 1994 01:17:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: email_address_removed (BRISTOW,JAY STERLING)
Subject: unsubscribe

unsubscribe ytsejam

------------------------------
End of Digest
************************