Subject: YTSEJAM digest 436
From: email_address_removed
To: Multiple recipients of list <email_address_removed>

Contents:
Re: DT's new producers ("James Studnicki (HON)" <email_address_removed>)
Re: What band? (Matthew M Leger <email_address_removed>)
Re: #1(2) YTSEJAM digest 433 (email_address_removed)
Re: IF YOU ORDERED A SHIRT...  (email_address_removed)
Re: Awake in Digital? (Eric Moegling <email_address_removed>)
Re: Producers (Mike Hutchinson <email_address_removed>)
 re:YTSEJAM digest 435  ("james (j.) wolf" <[email-masked]>)
      Re: favorite song ("Doug Slauson" <email_address_removed>)
 (email_address_removed (Pam Knight))
Re: Awake in Digital? (email_address_removed (Dr. Mosh))
Re: #1(2) YTSEJAM digest 433 (Garrett M Sanborne <email_address_removed>)
Re: DT's new producers (Garrett M Sanborne <email_address_removed>)
DT on the radio (hartman larry <email_address_removed>)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 1994 22:41:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: "James Studnicki (HON)" <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: DT's new producers

> >Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 13:02:20 -0500
> >From: Mike Hutchinson <email_address_removed>
> >Subject: DT's new producers
> >
> >Michael Burstin <email_address_removed> wrote:
> >
> >> They both started out as engineers (previous work includes Ozzy
> >> Ozbourne's (sp) No More Tears
> >
> >Uh-oh.  That Ozzy album is one of the sludgier, more overdriven mixes
> >I've heard.  I was hoping DT would go for a Ron St Germain-style production,
> >everything clear in the mix, some ambient sound (especially on drums) but
> >otherwise fairly dry.  Check out Living Colour's "Stain" or his couple of
> >tracks on Bonham's "Mad Hatter" to see what I mean.  Anyhow, I hope Myung
> >is audible this time.
> >

	I'll be honest with you guys, I think DT could have done a helluva
lot better with the drum sounds on I & W.  Why on earth would they use
triggered samples instead of the real McCoy?  I understand they went back
and percentage-quantized the drum sequence to tighten up the tracks even
more, but couldn't they at least have used some better samples?  That
snare is just GRRRATING when the sample starts over in the middle of a
roll.  Hope this doesn't offend anyone because it's really not intended
to.  Ralph Santolla (a local Ibanez / Mesa Boogie / Rivera endorsed
guitarist) told me that he spoke with Petrucci out at NAMM and Petrucci
said that their former producer David Prater was a dick and they hated the
way he had handled a lot of the production, especially the drums.  They're
definitely not using him on the new record. 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 1994 23:16:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matthew M Leger <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: What band?

On Thu, 23 Jun 1994 email_address_removed wrote:

> > These guys kick ass.....  I've known them since high school and > > have
> played with them.  The sound is solid and full.  Buy the disc, > it'll be the
> best 10 bucks you've spent in a while...
> 
> Hey nice try.  What band would we be talking about?  Magellen?  I love
> guessing games.
> 

	SORRY....
	I thought I had included the original message in my reply.  The 
band is DIVINE REGALE.  They ARE excellent, with DT and FAtes 
influences.  E-mail me for a disc ($10) or tape ($7).

sorry again,

Matt Leger
email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 94 23:37:08 EDT
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Re: #1(2) YTSEJAM digest 433

What  Are you talking about(  in other words)---->Huh???

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 94 23:35:27 EDT
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Re: IF YOU ORDERED A SHIRT... 

I'm a new member on the ytsejam mailing list also, and wondering how to
purchase some of their shirts also.   Any information will be appreciated!
  By the way,  I could I go  about purchasing the Dance of Eternity and other
live Dreamtheater cd's.

Blind Melon sucks------->Assholes stuck in fantasy.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 1994 22:38:39 -0500 (CDT)
From: Eric Moegling <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Awake in Digital?

Let's hope not!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to the circle of fifths, and the pattern of sharps and flats: 
If the alphabet continued as notes progressed (Using Major Key Sig's) (i.e
A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, etc.) eventually the key of Z Major 
would have 4 sharps.                     

  			    email_address_removed
           ERIC MOEGLING:     
			    email_address_removed	
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 1994 09:01:59 -0500
From: Mike Hutchinson <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Producers

Michael Burstin <email_address_removed> wrote: 

> >Uh-oh.  That Ozzy album is one of the sludgier, more overdriven 
> >mixes I've heard.  I was hoping DT would go for a Ron St Germain-style
> >production, everything clear in the mix, some ambient sound (especially 
> >on drums) but otherwise fairly dry.  Check out Living Colour's "Stain" 
> >or his couple of tracks on Bonham's "Mad Hatter" to see what I 
> >mean.  Anyhow, I hope Myung is audible this time. 
>  
> They need to have producers who can get the sound recorded right, so 
> it can be mixed to sound as perfect as possible...  From what I hear (and 
> this is only what I hear...  I have no idea about how a CD is recorded or 
> mixed, etc...) the producers don't really do the mixing, the 
> sound engineers do... (correct me if I am wrong)...

The producers (sometimes) don't do the actual engineering or mixing, but
they are supposed to construct the overall "sound" of an album.  Some
producers have enough time and technical knowledge to record and mix as
well.  But primarily they are responsible for helping bands get the sound
they want on their recordings.  Often bands are not exactly sure what they
want their record to sound like -- and this is when producers have the most
influence.  I think DT has a pretty clear idea of what kind of recording/mix
they're looking for after their experience with the last album, so
I guess we'll have to trust their judgment in picking producers ...

-- Mike

------------------------------

Date:  Fri, 24 Jun 1994 14:10:54 +0000 
From: "james (j.) wolf" <[email-masked]>
Subject:  re:YTSEJAM digest 435 

In message "YTSEJAM digest 435", you write:

> From: email_address_removed
> 
> 
> I wrote to DT a couple months ago, asking them to make video with real (I
> mean really real) dolby surround mode, not just like the one we could
> listen from the CD I&W, which is I think only the stereo that can be
> simulated to be played on simple dolby pro-logic and some leaking sound on
> the other four channels. The fan club answered my letter, without saying
> anything about the issue. I'm a little dissapointed. I hope they consider
> this thing, so that the sound quality of their next video won't be that
> bad.
> 

You should also have asked them to make a video where everything isn't visually
washed out every time red stage lighting is used.  Aren't there filters
that can prevent this sort of thing?  Many parts of LiT were hard to
see because of this.  This isn't meant to bash LiT-I like it-but is rather
just a very minor annoyance.

--------------
Wolf Man

------------------------------

Date:          Fri, 24 Jun 1994 12:35:22 CST
From: "Doug Slauson" <email_address_removed>
Subject:       Re: favorite song

> 
>     It would have to be "Under A Glass Moon."  The interlude leading 
> up to the guitar solo, along with the guitar solo, is mind-blowing.
> 

    YES!! YES!! YES!! "Under a Glass Moon" would also be my choice 
for the essential DT song.  That interlude lead in to the solo is 
just awesome; no matter how many times I listen to it, it always 
blows me away. (How does Portnoy do all that double bass work?!? I am 
completely mistified!)

    Douglas

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
 Rebellion is your pestilence
 I'll never be confined
 Forever you shall yield to me
 ANARCHY DIVINE!                -Fates Warning
oooooooooooo email_address_removed oooooooooooo

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 94 13:57:24 -0400
From: email_address_removed (Pam Knight)
Subject: 

unsubscribe ytsejam email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 1994 14:26:30 PDT
From: email_address_removed (Dr. Mosh)
Subject: Re: Awake in Digital?

>Let's hope not!!!
>
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>According to the circle of fifths, and the pattern of sharps and flats: 
>If the alphabet continued as notes progressed (Using Major Key Sig's) (i.e
>A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, etc.) eventually the key of Z Major 
>would have 4 sharps.                     
>
>  			    email_address_removed
>           ERIC MOEGLING:     
>			    email_address_removed	
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

I guess you would be referring to if Awake is recording, mixed and
mastered finally into full digital...  Well, I sure hope so!  Nowadays
pro-digital equipment is superior to analog.  No generation loss and the
ultimate in resolution, listen to Parallels (Fates Warning) if you want an
example...  Especially 20-bit masters, they are incredible, finally
dithered down to 16-bit (for your normal CD players), they can contain
dynamic ranges of incredible ratios in dB (I do have a 20-bit capable
CD-player).

-The Doc

-- 
#$%*#$*@   Real: email_address_removed + Virtual: email_address_removed    *@#$*@#$
*#$*@#$*  The Dream Theater Archives: ftp.netcom.com: /pub/drkhoe/dt   &*@#$*@$
**%^$#$%    WWW: "ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/drkhoe/www/dthome.html"     #$**@#*$
*$*$*$*#      Reality Enhancement Software - Engineering Reality       *$&#*#@$

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 1994 17:36:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: Garrett M Sanborne <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: #1(2) YTSEJAM digest 433

On Fri, 24 Jun 1994 email_address_removed wrote:
> What  Are you talking about(  in other words)---->Huh???
> 
	What are YOU talking about??  If you included something,
	someone could answer you better!

GMS
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
|       Garrett M. Sanborne              email_address_removed           |
|                                        email_address_removed          |
|  "Do what you love, the rest comes."     "Huh huh .. drums are cool."   |
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 1994 17:57:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: Garrett M Sanborne <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: DT's new producers

On Fri, 24 Jun 1994, James Studnicki (HON) wrote:
> 
> 	I'll be honest with you guys, I think DT could have done a helluva
> lot better with the drum sounds on I & W.  Why on earth would they use
> triggered samples instead of the real McCoy?  I understand they went back
> and percentage-quantized the drum sequence to tighten up the tracks even
> more, but couldn't they at least have used some better samples?  That
> snare is just GRRRATING when the sample starts over in the middle of a
> roll.  Hope this doesn't offend anyone because it's really not intended
> to.  Ralph Santolla (a local Ibanez / Mesa Boogie / Rivera endorsed
> guitarist) told me that he spoke with Petrucci out at NAMM and Petrucci
> said that their former producer David Prater was a dick and they hated the
> way he had handled a lot of the production, especially the drums.  They're
> definitely not using him on the new record. 
> 
	I totally agree about the sound.  To hear such an amazing player
with terrible drum sampling is like listening to a syphony orchestra
playing a mozart piece under water.  Blech!  Anyway, I'm VERY glad they 
don't play on using that guy anymore.  Good riddance.

*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
|       Garrett M. Sanborne              email_address_removed           |
|                                        email_address_removed          |
|  "Do what you love, the rest comes."     "Huh huh .. drums are cool."   |
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Jun 1994 01:06:38 -0500 (EDT)
From: hartman larry <email_address_removed>
Subject: DT on the radio

Is DT still scheduled to be on the radio?  I believe the date was June 26th
which would be this Sunday.   Does anyone have any new info about it?

Be sure to fill us in!!    

I hope that they kept James out of the writting (both music and lyrics)
for Awake.  I wouldn't want anything on the next album to sound like
"White Trash" from Winter Rose.  Can you say cheesy?

I think one thing that would be really cool is if they kept the liner
notes like I&W's ie.  Images : Dream Theater - Words : Moore.
What do you think?

Also, as far as changes in the future.   I can't decide whether John P.
should get a new guitar or should he keep the "faces" guitar forever.
Maybe he will get a new on and pull out the "faces" one for the I&W's stuff.

Any thoughts?

**************************************************************************
*   Jason Hartman     "I am the Killing Hand!"     email_address_removed   *
*                                                                        *
*  You're fighting the weight of the world,                              *
*  and no one can save you this time.                                    *
*  Close your eyes - you can find all you need in your mind.             * 
*                                                                        *
*                                       "Take the Time"  - Dream Theater *
**************************************************************************

------------------------------
End of Digest
************************