Subject: YTSEJAM digest 434
From: email_address_removed
To: Multiple recipients of list <email_address_removed>

Contents:
unsubscribe email_address_removed (email_address_removed (Brad McQuaid))
RE : Favorite DT song ! (email_address_removed.DE)
Fave DT tune/ Blind Melon (email_address_removed (Richard Toscano))
Awake track listing (Jason Breitweg <email_address_removed>)
Re: Pick your favorite DT song! (email_address_removed.de (Tim Schwartz))
Re: Cool new band... (Matthew M Leger <email_address_removed>)
Re: favorite song ("James Studnicki (HON)" <email_address_removed>)
DT's new producers (Mike Hutchinson <email_address_removed>)
Fwd: DT Tab (William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>)
Re:  Guitar Players on the List... (email_address_removed (Greg "Big Brother" Lee))
Re: #1(2) YTSEJAM digest 433 (email_address_removed)
IF YOU ORDERED A SHIRT... (Jason Hough <email_address_removed>)
Re: Fave DT tune/ Blind Melon (Aaron Lafferty <email_address_removed>)
Re: Fave DT tune/ Blind Melon (William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>)
Re: #1(2) YTSEJAM digest 433 (Garrett M Sanborne <email_address_removed>)
!? (email_address_removed (Christopher Carrol Simmons))
Re:  Fave DT tune/ Blind Melon (Stephan Dobay <email_address_removed>)
Favorite song (email_address_removed)
Re: Dear Bucky, (email_address_removed)
Fates Warning? (Markus Stahl (email_address_removed) <email_address_removed>)
Re: Guitar Players on the List... (Eric Moegling <email_address_removed>)
Re: Fave DT tune/ Blind Melon (Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 01:02:40 -0700
From: email_address_removed (Brad McQuaid)
Subject: unsubscribe email_address_removed

unsubscribe email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 10:45:02 +0100
From: email_address_removed.DE
Subject: RE : Favorite DT song !

Hi there !

My favorite DT song is PULL ME UNDER from I&W, because it's the first DT
song I ever listened to.

They played PULL ME UNDER in a radio show called 'HR3 - Hard'N'Heavy'
(in Germany) and I liked this song right from the beginning. 
It made me listen to IMAGES AND WORDS (a great album !) and WDADU.

Does anybody of the German readers of this mailing list have infos about
other German radio shows that play progressive metal ?
If so, please, send me some infos ! Thanks !

Andreas

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 02:23:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: email_address_removed (Richard Toscano)
Subject: Fave DT tune/ Blind Melon

My fave DT tune:  Take the Time

On to less pleasant subjects - I saw the following .sig in the ytsejam digest:

>"What do you think they would say, if I stood up, and I walked away? Nobody
> here really understands me."
>                                    -----Blind Melon-----
>
>Aaron

Now, I read in a guitar magazine interview w/ Petrucci that one of the 
guitarists from Blind Melon, when played PMU in a "Listening Room"-type
article, went off on how shitty Petrucci was and gave a long harangue
culminating in the statement "That kind of playing is just stupid."  So 
there are two issues I have to address:
1.  There will be no talk of Blind Melon unless it is to express your
undying contempt!
2.  does anybody know exactly what the Blind Melon guy said?  i only read
the above summary about it, but never saw his actual statements.  I would
like to know exactly what he said so I can adjust my scorn to the proper
level.

PS- I have ordered both Live in Tokyo and Dance of Eternity.  I think I 
will feel quite blissful when they arrive.

-- 
           /\    		Rich Toscano              
          /  \            email_address_removed
         /  \ \       -Guitarist of little or no note   
        / ___\ \      -Evolver of supra-genius neural net creatures
       / / _____\     -Will work for food
      /_/________\          "Ook" - Safe Chib

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 94 8:22:34 CDT
From: Jason Breitweg <email_address_removed>
Subject: Awake track listing

Hi All,

Since I have been off of the list for a bit while I moved half way across the
country I have missed most of the news about the new album (disc).  I have
gathered from some of the posts that it comes out on Oct. 4 and that it will
be entitled Awake.  I also saw that someone said that they posted the track
listing already.  Could some kind sould please e-mail me the track listing?
I don't know if there is any need in posting it too the list but it might be
good so that questions like mine from other people get answered.

Also are there any other people at the University of Wisconsin-Madison that 
like DT and similar bands.  Has anyone in Madison seen the band Stoenhaven?
I missed them the other night but I read something about them that said that
they are like Rush, Metallica and a bunch of other bands put together.  Is
this in fact true?

Regards,
Jason

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|       Jason T. Breitweg     Internet: email_address_removed     |
|                                                                             |
|           "Tower of Ivory?" they used to say, "House of Gold?"              |
|        "How could a woman be a tower of Ivory or a house of Gold?"          |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 11:43:46 +0200 (CDT)
From: email_address_removed.de (Tim Schwartz)
Subject: Re: Pick your favorite DT song!

Hi !

I would choose Metropolis Part I, it's long , it tells a story
and it's got one of the greatest instrumental parts I ever heard!
(Just wondering where to get a hifi on an island? :) )

Tim Schwartz

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 10:27:18 -0400
From: Matthew M Leger <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Cool new band...

   These guys kick ass.....  I've known them since high school and have played with them.  The sound is solid and full.  Buy the disc, it'll be the best 10 bucks you've spent in a while...

-- 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
||  Matt Leger            ||                                         ||
||  email_address_removed    ||   "Winning isn't everything...          ||
||------------------------||    it's the ONLY thing."                ||
||			  ||                    Chevrolet commercial ||
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 11:21:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: "James Studnicki (HON)" <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: favorite song

	It would have to be "Under A Glass Moon."  The interlude leading 
up to the guitar solo, along with the guitar solo, is mind-blowing.

Jim Studnicki
email_address_removed
University of South Florida
Tampa, Florida, USA

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 13:02:20 -0500
From: Mike Hutchinson <email_address_removed>
Subject: DT's new producers

Michael Burstin <email_address_removed> wrote:

> They both started out as engineers (previous work includes Ozzy
> Ozbourne's (sp) No More Tears

Uh-oh.  That Ozzy album is one of the sludgier, more overdriven mixes
I've heard.  I was hoping DT would go for a Ron St Germain-style production,
everything clear in the mix, some ambient sound (especially on drums) but
otherwise fairly dry.  Check out Living Colour's "Stain" or his couple of
tracks on Bonham's "Mad Hatter" to see what I mean.  Anyhow, I hope Myung
is audible this time.

btw, Mike, sick info on the new album!  Are you talking directly to one of
the guys in the band?

-- Other Mike

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 13:57:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>
Subject: Fwd: DT Tab

I am not the author of this...

---------- Forwarded message begins here ----------
Subject: DT Tab
To: email_address_removed
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 1994 03:36:01 +1000 (EST)

Dream Theatre - Another Day    - transcribed by Gary Chapman
===========================

Key:

^   = hammer/pull
/   = slide
(b) = bend
~   = vibrato
~~  = heavy vibrato
t   = trill (repeated hammers/pulls)
ah  = artificial (pinched) harmonic

Intro:  (guitar + piano arranged for guitar)

E ------------------------------------------
B --0--------0-----------0--------0---------
G ------3-------3------------3-------3-3----  (repeat)
D --------4-------4------------4---------4-- 
A --------------------------------4---------
E --4--------2--------2--0-------------2----

Intro solo:

    G#m         F#     E             C#     F#      G#m        F#          C# 
E ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
B --12~---11--9--------------------------------------------------------11--13~
G --------------8~\--------------/8--6---------------------------------------- 
D ------------------------/6--9----------9--8---9^11^9~-----11--8~--8/9------- 
A ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
E ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

            E
E ----------14~-
B --11-12-------
G --------------
D --------------
A --------------
E --------------

	Rhythm fig. 1: (volume swells)
	E -------------------------------------------------------------
	B ---------------------------------------------7------5--------
	G --4---6---8------9------8------6------4--------------------4-
	D -------------------------------------------------------------
	A -------------------------------------------------------------
	E -------------------------------------------------------------

Verse 1:  (piano arranged for guitar)

    G#m          G#m+5                     F#sus4 F#maj   Emaj
E ------------------------------------------------2-------4-----------
B --4------4-----5-----5-----4-----4--------2-----2-------5-----5-----
G --4------4-----4-----4-----4-----4--------4-----3-------4-----4-----
D --6---6-----6-----6-----6-----6-----6-----4--4-----4-------6-----6--
A --------------------------------------------------------------------
E --4------------4-----------4--------------2-------------0-----------

    Live another day,        climb a little higher.             Find 

                                 (w/rhythm fig. 1)
    Bmaj           Amaj          F#sus4 F#maj     G#m           G#m+5
E --2--------------0-----0---------------------------------4-------------4--
B --4-----4--------2-----2--------2-----2---------4-------------5-----------
G --4-----4--------2--2-----2-----4-----3---------4------4------4------4----
D --4--4-----4--------------------4--4-----4------6---6------6--6---6------6
A --2--------------0--------------------------------------------------------
E --------------------------------2---------------4-------------4-----------

   another  reason to stay.                       Ashes in your hands,

   G#m           F#sus4 F#maj  Emaj          Bmaj            Amaj   Emaj
   mercy in your eyes.             If you're searching for a silent sky... 

Chorus:

E --------------0-------------0--------------0-----------0------
B ----------0-------------0--------------0-------------4---4----
G ------6---------------8--------------9-------------4-------4--   
D ----6---6-----------9--------------9--------------------------
A --4---------------6--------------7---------------2------------
E --------------------------------------------------------------

You won't find it   here.          Look another way. 

E --------------0-------------0--------------0------------------
B ----------0-------------0--------------0---------------0------
G ------6---------------8--------------9---------------3----3---   
D ----6---6-----------9--------------9---------------4--------4-
A --4---------------6--------------7----------------------------
E -------------------------------------------------2------------

You won't find it here.         So die another day.

Sax solo: (same as intro solo, but raised an octave + minor variations)
E -------------------------------------------------------------------------
B ---------0-----------0-----------0-----------0----------0-----------0----
G -------3---3-------3---3-------3---3-------3---3------3---3-------3---3--
D -----4-----------4-----------4-----------4----------4-----------4--------
A --------------------------------------4----------------------------------
E --4----------2-------------0---------------------4----------2------------

E -----------0--
B ---------0----
G -------6------
D -----6--------
A --------------
E --0-----------

Verse 2:
	
(pick through verse 1 chords)

The coldness of his words.  The message in his silence.
"Face the candle to the wind..."

(sax arranged for guitar)
E --/19-19-----------------------
B ----------19-19-17--17--16-----
G ---------------------------16--
D -------------------------------
A -------------------------------
E -------------------------------

This distance in my voice.  Isn't leaving you a choice.
So if you're looking for a time to run away...

(chorus)

   ah
E ----------------------------
B ----------------------------
G ----------------------------
D --4~---2-2-1----------------
A -------------4-2-4-2-1------
E -----------------------4-2--
	|<--- palm mute  -->|

(arranged for 2 guitars - E and B strings are clean, chords distorted) 
E --------------0-------------------------------0---------------------
B -----4-----------------4--------------4--------------4--------------
G --4----------------------------2------------------------------------
D --4----------------------------2------------------------------------
A --2----------------------------0------------------------------------
E --------------------------------------------------------------4~----

      They took pictures of our dreams, ran to hide behind the stairs

E ----------0----------------------------0--------------0--
B --4-------------4-------------------4--------------4----- (play twice,
G ---------------------------------4--------------4--------  with lyrics 
D ---------------------------4----------------2------------  2nd time)
A ---------------------------4----------------2------------
E ---------------------------2----------------0------------

    And said maybe when it's right for you, they'll fall.

   G                             C
E --------------------------------------------0-----------------------------
B -----------3----------------------------1--------1------------------------
G --------0-----2----0-----------------0------------------------------------
D -----0----------------------------2---------------------------------------
A -------------------------------3------------------------------------------
E --3-----------------------------------------------------------------------

    But if they don't come down, resist the need to pull them in.

    D/F#                   E             D            C
E --------------0----------------------------------------------------------
B -----------3-----3------------------------------0------------3-----------
G -------2---------------------------0---------0------------5-----5--------
D --0-----------------------------4---------4------------5-----------5-----
A -----------------------------7---------5------------3-----------------3--
E --------------------------0----------------------------------------------

         And throw them     away.        Better to    save the mystery,

    Bsus4 Bmaj
E --------------------------------------------------------------------------
B --5-----4-----------------------------------------------------------------
G --4-----4-----------------------------------------------------------------
D --4-----4----------------2---2---------------2---2--------4---4--4--4--4--
A --2-----2------------2-5---------5-2-----2-5--------5-2---4---4--4--4--4--
E -----------------0-------------------0--------------------2---2--2--2--2--

   Than surrender to the secret...

Solo:

            G#m         G#m+5          G#m                     F#sus4 
E -------- -----------------------------------------------------------------
B 11(b)12- -(b)12-11-9--11(b)12~~---9--12(b)14-(b)14-12~---11^12^11---------
G -------- ---------------------------------------------------------11------
D -------- ------------------------------------------------------------\11~-
A -------- -----------------------------------------------------------------
E -------- -----------------------------------------------------------------

                 E          B               A                      F#sus4
E --------------------------------------------------------------------------
B ---------------12~--------------------------------------------------------
G ---------8-9~-------8(b)9--8~--8-9-11---9^8-------------------------------
D --8-9-11------------------------------------11--11^9^7----7---------------
A -------------------------------------------------------11---9(b)11--9-9~--
E --------------------------------------------------------------------------

<I chickened out on the fast bit> 

    G#m                 G#m+5                       G#m               F#sus4
E --21(b)23----(b)23~---(b)24~~\------------19--21--21(b)23---(b)24---21~--
B ------------------------------------/21----------------------------------
G -------------------------------------------------------------------------
D -------------------------------------------------------------------------
A -------------------------------------------------------------------------
E -------------------------------------------------------------------------

                    E                                   B  
E --19--18---19-21--19--16--------------------------------------------------
B -------------------------19-16-----19--16---------------------------------
G -------------------------------18---------18-16----18-16~~------16--------
D ------------------------------------------------18-----------16---16------
A --------------------------------------------------------------------18----
E ----------------------------------------------------------------------19--

                          A                           E  
E ------------------16-19-17~~---21-----19-----16-----14----11---9-----------
B ---------------19------------19--19\17--17\14--14\12--12\9--9\7-7t9--------
G --16--18(b)20-------------------------------------------------------8t9--6~
D ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
A ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
E ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

(chorus) 
Sax outro solo not included

---

Mr.Scary (Gary Chapman)
-------------------------
email_address_removed.au

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill Bajzek      www: http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/usr/wb2a/home 
    
[email-masked] 

ENOUGH! I can't stand stereo Hammers!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 94 9:54:37 EDT
From: email_address_removed (Greg "Big Brother" Lee)
Subject: Re:  Guitar Players on the List...

> 	Aren't there any other guitar players on this list?  I'm surprised
> no one else mentioned the thing about Morse and Petrucci before me. 

	Yep!  An Ibanez axeman myself, like the two guys who make me sick
the most - Petrucci and Satriani...
	An there is a guitar god in waiting, mostly in lurker mode out
at U of Calgary...drum roll please...Will Kriski is his name.  Hey Will,
how's it hangin'!
	I'd like to hear more guitar technical talk, DT content of course,
on the list...Which reminds me...what guitar tabs to we have in archive?

Later!

Greg.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 94 17:29:50 EDT
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Re: #1(2) YTSEJAM digest 433

Mike Burstin writes:
<<<
On a final note, I almost going with what Mike Bahr posted yesterday,
I had a chance to hear some of the seperate tracks from I&W, on a
video that I just got, and it was very surprising what some of the
songs sound like with only one or 2 track...  Like there is a really
awsome small, but complex (of course) keyboard part in Metropolis
(right before the part with "before the leaves have fallen" I believe)
that I would have never heard before, but will completely stand out
every time I listen to it again...  
>>>

Yes, there are many such parts in I&W songs....  I've played "air"-everything
(air-guitar, air-bass, air-drums, air-keyboards) to the album (only when
alone, of course!); it's very interesting to pick out little things like
that.  If you've never tried to listen intently to each individual
instrument, you're missing a WHOLE lot of the album.

email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 14:48:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jason Hough <email_address_removed>
Subject: IF YOU ORDERED A SHIRT...

PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS MESSAGE (NOT TO THE LIST, TO ME!!!! VERY IMPORTANT)

Im considering a slight change in design because of a few factors that 
have come up. I want to make a mailing list of the people who ordered 
shirts so I can contact you all and get your opinion without cluttering 
up Ytsejam.

SO - PLEASE RESPOND. You might want to include in your response what you 
ordered. NO, I didnt lose this information, I just dont have it handy (my 
old machine, Jester, is down and out). Besides, your order may change 
when you hear back from me.

Thanks everyone!!!!

-Jason

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jason Hough / Computer Services Hotline / email_address_removed / x4122
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 "I set the clouds in motion, turn up the light and sound,
  activate the window, and watch the world go round..."      -  rush 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 19:33:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: Aaron Lafferty <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Fave DT tune/ Blind Melon

> On to less pleasant subjects - I saw the following .sig in the ytsejam digest:
> 
> >"What do you think they would say, if I stood up, and I walked away? Nobody
> > here really understands me."
> >                                    -----Blind Melon-----
> 
> Now, I read in a guitar magazine interview w/ Petrucci that one of the 
> guitarists from Blind Melon, when played PMU in a "Listening Room"-type
> article, went off on how shitty Petrucci was and gave a long harangue
> culminating in the statement "That kind of playing is just stupid."  So 
> there are two issues I have to address:
> 1.  There will be no talk of Blind Melon unless it is to express your
> undying contempt!
> 2.  does anybody know exactly what the Blind Melon guy said?  i only read
> the above summary about it, but never saw his actual statements.  I would
> like to know exactly what he said so I can adjust my scorn to the proper
> level.
> 
 Ill withold comment untill someone posts facts and not heresay
based on summary until then it would appreciated if all flames
were also witheld from the newsgroup seeing as we already get off
track enough.

-- 
"What do you think they would say, if I stood up, and I walked away? Nobody  
 here really understands me."
                                    -----Blind Melon-----

Aaron

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 19:35:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Fave DT tune/ Blind Melon

Excerpts from ytsejam: 22-Jun-94 Fave DT tune/ Blind Melon by Richard
email_address_removed 
> Now, I read in a guitar magazine interview w/ Petrucci that one of the 
> guitarists from Blind Melon, when played PMU in a "Listening Room"-type
> article, went off on how shitty Petrucci was and gave a long harangue
> culminating in the statement "That kind of playing is just stupid."  So 
> there are two issues I have to address:
> 1.  There will be no talk of Blind Melon unless it is to express your
> undying contempt!
> 2.  does anybody know exactly what the Blind Melon guy said?  i only read
> the above summary about it, but never saw his actual statements.  I would
> like to know exactly what he said so I can adjust my scorn to the proper
> level.
> 
> PS- I have ordered both Live in Tokyo and Dance of Eternity.  I think I 
> will feel quite blissful when they arrive.

Now, I don't remember everything from it (I don't feel like going and
getting it...) but here are some quotes that stick out in my mind:

"Warning! This could be metal at any moment"
"Or it could build into a power ballad"
"This kind of guitar playing is stupid"
Paraphrase: "If I want heavy, intelligent music, I listen to Sonic Youth
    or Soundgarden..."
"There's gonna be a squeely any second now"
"Playing fast just for the sake of playing fast is stupid"
"I think I heard a couple squeelies in there" (THERE AREN"T ANY!!!!!!!!)
"Remind me not to buy their album"

This from peoplewho think pissing on their fans is cool

damn... now I'm pissed...I'll go get it...
Damn! You're lucky I can't find it or I'd flame the hell out of you...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill Bajzek      www: http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/usr/wb2a/home 
    
[email-masked] 

ENOUGH! I can't stand stereo Hammers!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 20:47:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: Garrett M Sanborne <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: #1(2) YTSEJAM digest 433

On Wed, 22 Jun 1994 email_address_removed wrote:
> Yes, there are many such parts in I&W songs....  I've played "air"-everything
> (air-guitar, air-bass, air-drums, air-keyboards) to the album (only when
> alone, of course!); it's very interesting to pick out little things like
> that.  If you've never tried to listen intently to each individual
> instrument, you're missing a WHOLE lot of the album.
> 
> email_address_removed

	I totally agree - EVERY SINGLE time I listen, I hear a new part 
that I've never heard before - I play drums so that was what I first 
heard, but each of the other parts are completely amazing.  I've also 
played "air"-everything to most of the album - it's a great experience, 
and it's also great for your listening abilities to try to hear all the 
parts, not just the most prominent ones.  You'll be surprised at how cool 
it feels to hear something that you've never heard before, buried 
underneath.  You don't always hear it at first "glance", but you'd 
definitely notice if it was taken out.  DT RULES!

Garrett

*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
|       Garrett M. Sanborne              email_address_removed           |
|                                        email_address_removed          |
|   "Do what you love,                                                    |
|         the rest comes."             "Huh huh .. drums are cool."       |
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 20:25:32 -0500 (CDT)
From: email_address_removed (Christopher Carrol Simmons)
Subject: !?

Hey FREAK!  What the hell did I do to you to deserve your reaction to my
post? 
******************************************************************************
email_address_removed     "Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
email_address_removed               "I think so, Brain, but burlap chafes me so." 
******************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 22:58:36 -0400
From: Stephan Dobay <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re:  Fave DT tune/ Blind Melon

Mega contempt to the two, no-talent, wish we could play like that but
we spent to much time cultivating our alternative image to practice,
no-load, half-stepping scum from Blind Melon.

I remember the article well.  The two basically went on a tirad against
musicianship.  They hate people who play fast, etc.  Another notable
band they slammed was Queensryche "Oh, I hate them" or something to that
effect.  Oh, they also hated Joe Satriani.  Called his stuff Bay Watch
music.  I think that says it all about Blind Melon.  Later.

--Stephan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 94 23:17:45 EDT
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Favorite song

> I think that I would probably have to pick Learning to Live from >I&W's.

Ditto.  LtL is really racking up the votes.  If it's the only song Myung ever
writes the lyrics for, it still qualifies him as a genious.

On an unrelated note, Charlie singing Perry Como at Mike's wedding?  Oh, the
irony.

Mike 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 94 23:22:15 EDT
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Re: Dear Bucky,

unsubscribe email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 1994 00:26:20 EDT
From: Markus Stahl (email_address_removed) <email_address_removed>
Subject: Fates Warning?

I have been reading all this stuff about the new Fates Warning album recently
and I was wondering which album would be best to start out on.  I have
never heard any of their music before, but since so many people talk about
them on this list they must be good.  I have access to the following albums:

Awaken the Guardian
Night on Brocken
No Exit
Perfect Symmetry
Spectre Within
Parallels

If some of you could please e-mail me with suggestions I would be very grateful

----Sorry about the non-DT content but I thought this would be the best place
to post this----

Thanks,

Mark              email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 23:34:57 -0500 (CDT)
From: Eric Moegling <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Guitar Players on the List...

I too am a guitarist..and also an Ibanez Axeman (nothing else feels 
right!!!). More talk would be cool, but kind of rude for those who don't 
play. For anyone interested I know some of the less traditional DT stuff 
(stuff not in the archives)...however I'm not boasting that I'm good!!! 
Also, I'm interested in keyboard stuff too so any keyboardists who know 
some stuff (I know Waits and Surrounded) that would also be cool! 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to the circle of fifths, and the pattern of sharps and flats: 
If the alphabet continued as notes progressed (Using Major Key Sig's) (i.e
A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, etc.) eventually the key of Z Major 
would have 4 sharps.                     

  			    email_address_removed
           ERIC MOEGLING:     
			    email_address_removed	
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 22:25:04 -0700 (MST)
From: Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Fave DT tune/ Blind Melon

> Now, I read in a guitar magazine interview w/ Petrucci that one of the 
> guitarists from Blind Melon, when played PMU in a "Listening Room"-type
> article, went off on how shitty Petrucci was and gave a long harangue
> culminating in the statement "That kind of playing is just stupid."  So 
> there are two issues I have to address:
> 1.  There will be no talk of Blind Melon unless it is to express your
> undying contempt!
> 2.  does anybody know exactly what the Blind Melon guy said?  i only read
> the above summary about it, but never saw his actual statements.  I would
> like to know exactly what he said so I can adjust my scorn to the proper
> level.

Unfortunately, I read it when it came out. Here's the transcription... 
someone with an FTP server that works (unlike this one) go ahead and 
smack it up to the archives with the oth4er interviews/articles. Hey 
guys! Let's get those articles more and more! Those of you who have seen 
the gopher at syrinx.umd.edu p2112 know how awesome it can get...

Anything in % borders is my commentary.

>From Guitar for the Practicing Musician, January 1994
"Pull Me Under"
Images And Words
Dream Theater (ATCO/East-West)

Christopher: This could be metal at any moment--I'm just warning everybody.
Rogers: Either that or it could build up into a power ballad.
C: I feel like we might have to excuse ourselves here for a second. We 
might have to leave. % so get the fuck out! -ed %
R: This is one of those guitar sounds that when he hits a note, about a 
million lights jump up on his guitar rig.
C: Any minute now there is gonna be a squealy.
R: Is this, like, Queensryche?
C: If it is, let's turn it off right away because I hate that band. 
% blasphemy! fucking assholes %
R: Hate it. This is the kind of music you listen to right when you start 
to get your pubic hairs.
C: I can't even be fair to this music, I hate it so bad. I can't even sit 
through one song. I know I'm not being fair but I think it is complete 
garbage. That sort of guitar playing is just stupid.
% it's better than anything you ever played, poser. %
R: If I want to hear a metal band I really like old Black Sabbath and 
Soundgarden, heavy bands with brains. % I can't fucking stand to type 
what this guy is saying... it's so far gone from the truth. % If I were 
listening to an angry metal band I would be more into Rage Against the 
Machine % commercialism central % or Sugar. I like that Sugar record a 
lot, I like Sonic Youth a lot. % trendy shit % That's heavy, guitar based 
music that I listen to.
C: Playing fast for the sake of fast is hideous. I hate that whole 
mentality of sitting around playing scales and cock-rock crap. % this is 
true, I don't think Christopher CAN play a scale, unlike the precision 
and attention to detail you hear from Petrucci, Christopher is sloppy and 
in a word, sucks. I can play better and I think I suck, compared to 
Petrucci. I figured out the riffs to "No Rain" in 3 minutes. No joke. %
R: I heard some squealies. % some WHAT? % I don't really like that sound 
either. I'm not into those guitar sounds. When I hear that stuff I get 
feeling squeamish.
Guitar: That was Dream Theater.
C: We'll remember not to buy that record. I bet they have really nice 
hair... now I'm being mean. % no, now you're showing your ignorance. %
R: This is just our opinion. There's a lot of people that like Dream 
Theater and that's fine. % got news for you... DT has more true fans than 
Bland Lemon will ever have. % They get off on it--good for them. They'll 
probably hate us, maybe they won't. % we do. %
C: They probably do because we sound like we're playing sloppy. But 
that's alright, that's a different thing. % "we just suck, that's all." % 
We're just coming from a different space.
R: In no way do we condemn this sort of music. These people have a right 
to exist.
C: Just keep it the hell away from us.

[on to the other songs.]
To give you an idea how fucked-up Blind Melon are, they liked:
Medicated Goo - Traffic
Midnight Rider - Almond Brothers

And they hated:
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You - Sons of Mercury
Omaha - Moby Grape
Pull Me Under - Dream Theater
Little Miss Can't Be Wrong - Spin Doctors
Always With Me Always With You - Joe Satriani

In other words, they hated all the guitarists who are clearly better than 
they can ever hope to be.

But there's hope!! These letters to the editor appeared in the February 
1994 issue with Alex Lifeson of Rush on the cover!!

"...I've had it! I'm sick of these stupid fucks writing that heavy metal 
is soulless, mindless bullshit..."

"...If you have something to say about another type of music, keep it to 
yourself."

And in March 1994:

"Blind Lemon only wish they could compare to Queensryche and Dream Theater!"

"...John Petrucci's technical skill and rapturous melodies are things of 
beauty, things that Christopher and Rogers hate because they can't create 
such things themselves..."

And so on.

Blind Melon sucks.

Dream Theater forever!

- + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -
Mike/email_address_removed/Snow Dog of Prismatic Force Designs/sydest.com
Likely or not, it's a dream that we keep, and at odds with our senses we'll
climb. But if faith is the answer, we've already reached it, and if spirit's
a sign, then it's only a matter of time... -Dream Theater
- + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -

------------------------------
End of Digest
************************