Subject: YTSEJAM digest 272
From: email_address_removed
To: Multiple recipients of list <email_address_removed>

Contents:
Re: Majesty (Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>)
Re: Bootleg: live in long island part 1 (Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>)
     Re: YTSEJAM digest 270 (Don Glover <STDG%email_address_removed>)
Re: Great FAQ but I have an idea... (Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>)
Re: YTSEJAM digest 268 (Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>)
Re: thanks! (Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>)
Re: Hamlet & Pull Me Under (nit picking) (Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>)
LATM resolution with cdc (email_address_removed (Corey McKenzie))
Pull Me Under (live) ("backof michael ( bs ifsm)" <email_address_removed>)
Re: Bootleg: live in long island part 1 (email_address_removed (Steve Mansfield))
Petrucci Shank Correction (STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION PRESIDENT - BAH HUMBUG <email_address_removed>)
Errors Live?  Of COURSE (The Reverend <email_address_removed>)
Re: Great FAQ but I have an idea... (William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>)
FAQ availability? (Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>)
trade opportunity (Michael A. Daugherty <email_address_removed>)
Re: Warfield Show?? (email_address_removed (Zack Gemmill))
Re: Bootleg: live in long island part 1 (DEAN'S CUP COMMITTEE REPRESENTATIVE <email_address_removed>)
The silent one speaks!!!!!!!! (email_address_removed)
 Re: Petrucci Shank  ("james (j.) wolf" <[email-masked]>)
images (hartman larry <email_address_removed>)
 Re-usable riff, Question Rephrased to Michael Bahr  ("james (j.) wolf" <[email-masked]>)
Admin address (email_address_removed)
demos (Steve Kaye <email_address_removed>)
Re: Bootleg: live in long island part 1 (Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>)
Bootleg trading (Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>)
Re: thanks! ("Paul W. Cashman" <email_address_removed>)
randy haskins (hartman larry <email_address_removed>)
Re: Majesty (email_address_removed)
Re: Great FAQ but I have an idea... (Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>)
 Re-usable riff  ("james (j.) wolf" <[email-masked]>)
Posting the FAQ to News and ftp (Jason Hough <email_address_removed>)
Review of I&W on mtv.com ("Paul W. Cashman" <email_address_removed>)
Excellent Jazz CD Sampler for $4!!! (Headley Grange <email_address_removed>)
Re: thanks! (email_address_removed (DAVID RE))
Live PMU on radio (email_address_removed (Pat Daugherty))
CDC List. (email_address_removed (Greg "Big Brother" Lee))

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 93 8:24:05 MST
From: Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Majesty

> their logo after the tape was completed?)  This cassette is *THE* Majesty
> demo; it was professionally recorded and distributed promotionally.  The

	The thing being, there was already another band called Majesty. It
is therefore excluded from the possibility of a release...

> other demo material that has been talked about on this list and has
> circulated through trading by fans has also been referred to as "the Majesty
> demos", but all of those songs (instrumental versions of songs like
> Afterlife & Status Seeker, "Ressurrection Of Ernie", O Holy Night, etc.) are

	Quick note: "Death of Spock" is The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun.

> like "Majesty" was.  Technically, those demos shouldn't necessarily be
> referred to as "Majesty demos", I suppose, although I'd be hard-pressed to
> come up with another name for them. :)  Calling all of the pre-WD&DU
> bootlegged material "Majesty demos" could possibly confuse fans who also
> know that they made a professional tape called "Majesty" in 1986.  Does
> anyone have any ideas pertaining to what they should be called?

	Well... only the ones in 1986 were actually Majesty demos. In 1987
they recorded the demo "Dream Theater" and then called themselves that, as
well as recording O Holy Night, Heuristica, etc. This is the one (of the
four) Majesty tapes none of us seems to have. The next one with Afterlife,
Killing Hand, Death of Spock (TOWHTSTS), Ytsejam, and Cry for Freedom
(which is actually the Killing Hand we would wind up hearing) is fairly
common, and the third (Mission Impossible, Golden Slumbers) is too. The
fourth of the 1987-forward demos just surfaced on the list... including a
cover of Dead or Alive, and others. Technically, those four are Dream
Theater demos, and the first one a Majesty demo.

Mike/email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 93 8:26:46 MST
From: Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Bootleg: live in long island part 1

> 
> I believe I saw the disc live in long island tonight when I went to a local
> import shop.  It had a song from the original demos called only a matter of me

That would be the Washington DC bootleg. Did the setlist look like this?
	Metropolis part I
	Under a Glass Moon
	Only A Matter of Time
	Surrounded
	Pull Me Under
	The Ytse Jam
	Another Day
	The Killing Hand
	Take The time

> on it and not the other songs that were listed in the faq under live in long 
> island part 2 (that's why I think I saw part 1).  the rest of the songs were
> all songs off of their album images and words.  Has anyone else seen this disc
> ?  I know I'm not going crazy.  The disc didn't say where it was recorded 
> either.  I would have bought it but I'm broke.  later, Gary
> ps I found it funny after seeing the disc that in the faq it said where's the
> first part after the listing for part 2.  If anyone has any more info about 
> this please vax me.  I'd be interested to find out exactly what's up.
> 

Mike/email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date:         Wed, 15 Dec 93 10:13:40 EST
From: Don Glover <STDG%email_address_removed>
Subject:      Re: YTSEJAM digest 270

To all DT Subscribers...

I subbed to the list not long ago after discovering that it existed through
a *kind* post over on SiD(Screaming in Digital-Ryche List).  I am quite
surprised by much of the content on this list, especially the interviews!
I am from Long Island and have been in and out of the DT scene since the
beginning and really feel that DT is one of the *best* Prog-Metal bands
out there today.  If anybody else on this list, and I know there has to be,
is from the Island of Plenty(Cars,Shopping Malls,Snobs,etc.)8-). E-mail
me and let me know! I live not far from Kings Park, L.I., DT's orgin I believe.
I am right over in Huntington.  See ya,

Don

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 93 8:28:30 MST
From: Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Great FAQ but I have an idea...

>   Why don't you post the newest version (and future versions) of the FAQ at
> some ftp site so that it's availble to anybody and everybody on the INTERNET.  I recommend
> putting it on FTP.UWP.EDU.  They have a huge archive of music files,
> discographies, pictures and interviews for a great many bands.  AND 
> FTP.UWP.EDU already has a Dream Theater directory!

	Well... I do. But they never move it from incoming into the Dream
theater directory in under a month! :) They have about ten revisions of my
discog just sitting in the .incoming area...

>   I just say this because its a pain to get the entire FAQ off a mail 
> message and it would be some much easier to just have it in a text 
> file on some FTP site somewhere (hopefully FTP.UWP.EDU).
>   Also it will advertise the Ytsejam Mailing list to other DT fans 
> because there is instructions on how to join the Ytsejam Mailing 
> List at the beginning of the FAQ.
>   Oh, there's already a guitar transcription of Metrotroplis in the 
> directory /pub/music/d/dreamtheater.
> 
>   Just my $.02 cent idea!

	And a good one at that... but one I found does not work too well..
posting it onthe newsgroups though, THAT gets response and exposure...
Mike/email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 93 8:33:37 MST
From: Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: YTSEJAM digest 268

> 
> Please give me the cd clock times of the pmu ttt double riff. I dont
> hear one at all.

Listen at 4:18 of the Images and Words "Take The Time"...
you can practically sing along... This world is... spinning around me...
this world is... spinning without me...

Mike/email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 93 8:35:59 MST
From: Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: thanks!

> 	Have I somehow missed the postings of these interviews?  I got one
> of M.P. back in April (I think), but that is all.  Can someone email me
> about where to find it?  THANKS!!  BTW, why does it seem that all the
> interviews people mention are mainly from Mike?  Do any of the other
> members talk.  I know they don't sing. ;^)

	They just about never say anything. I have a 2-page interview with
Petrucci, a 3-pager with Moore,and at least 35 pages worth of Portnoy
interviews... 
Mike/email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 93 8:37:01 MST
From: Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Hamlet & Pull Me Under (nit picking)

> There are 9 deaths in Hamlet. They are:
> 
> Hamlet
> Ophelia
> Laertes
> Laertes Father (Cor???)

	Polonius.

> The King
> The Queen
> Rosencrantz
> Gildenstern
> Hamlet's Father (previous to onset, but detailed within)
> 
> Hamlet is *responsible* for 7, hence the "I'll take seven lives for one."

Right.

Mike/email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 93 9:56:55 CST
From: email_address_removed (Corey McKenzie)
Subject: LATM resolution with cdc

I posted earlier about a problem ordering LATM from CDC (holonet.net user cdc)
and wanted to offer up a semi-retraction since they did finally cancel the
order as requested.  Just wanted to give a little credit where it was due.

Dream on!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 20:06:51 -0500 (EST)
From: "backof michael ( bs ifsm)" <email_address_removed>
Subject: Pull Me Under (live)

	I have heard it a couple of times (but not recently) on Rock 103FM in
Baltimore.  I figured that they had the Live at the Marquee disk, because
it is the same version of the song that they played.

					Bradbury

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1993 13:02:11 -0500 (EST)
From: email_address_removed (Steve Mansfield)
Subject: Re: Bootleg: live in long island part 1

> > I believe I saw the disc live in long island tonight when I went to a local
> > import shop.  It had a song from the original demos called only a matter of me
> 
> That would be the Washington DC bootleg. Did the setlist look like this?
> 	Metropolis part I
> 	Under a Glass Moon
> 	Only A Matter of Time
> 	Surrounded
> 	Pull Me Under
> 	The Ytse Jam

If the is the DC show, it would also have Moonbubbles here.

> 	Another Day
> 	The Killing Hand
> 	Take The time

Steve Mansfield  | Once you're touched you stand alone to face the bitter fight
email_address_removed | Once I reached for love but now I reach for life.
Dream Theater - Learning to Live

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 21:29:53 -0500 (EST)
From: STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION PRESIDENT - BAH HUMBUG <email_address_removed>
Subject: Petrucci Shank Correction

On the PULL ME UNDER/SURROUNDED promo disc it is at 0:28.

BUT

On the Live at the Marquee Disc it is at like 0:16. 

Hope this corrects things.!

Long live the Petrucci Shank!

Tim

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1993 13:42:40 -0600 (CST)
From: The Reverend <email_address_removed>
Subject: Errors Live?  Of COURSE

About all this with the 'shank':
I've got the promo CD, which has it.  So I listened.  I LOVE IT!  It's a LIVE
recording, dammit!! If I wanted "recorded live in a studio with an audience of
2", I'd listen to "Genesis: The Way We Walk II: The Longs"!!!!!!!!  (oh, gosh,
another non-DT ref!!:)  I'd rather hear the error, than have them over-produce
it!

Rev
---
The Reverend "They called me the Reverend when I entered the church unstained"
 Fear the Information Revolution...for it has reached the hands of the strange.
               PGP 2.2 Public Key Block available upon request

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1993 15:13:29 -0500 (EST)
From: William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Great FAQ but I have an idea...

It's just the intro of metropolis, right?

Bill Bajzek           
email_address_removed      
email_address_removed   
email_address_removed       

finger email_address_removed for more information

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1993 15:21:56 -0500 (EST)
From: Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>
Subject: FAQ availability?

Just thought that I would post this here about the FAQ after reading
about putting it in FTP archieves.  I am not sure what has to be done
to put it there, but I would be willing to if nobody else wants to
once I find out what has to be done.  Another option that is being
consideded is to also make it a listserv document.  I know that some
other lists managed by listserv have documents available that can be
retrieved by writing the the request address (the same one that you
use to subscribe and change into digest mode) and using the 
get <document_name>  command.  Is there any word on this???
I hope that this is some help for those of you who want copies in the
future.... 
-- 
************************************************************************
* I was told there's a miricle for each day that I try                 *
* I was told there's a new love that's born for each one that has died *
* I was told there'd be no one to call on when I feel alone and afraid *
* I was told if you dream of the next world                            *
* You'll find yourself swimming in a lake of fire                      *
*	Dream Theater	Metropolis (part 1)	Images and Words       *
*	Michael Burstin			     Brandeis University       *
************************************************************************
*  Let's Go Pens   Let's Go Pens	 Lets Go Pens	 Let's Go Pens *
************************************************************************
For info on Dream Theater, some Steven Write jokes, the master list of
pickup lines, a revised history of the world, a few blond jokes: 
	finger email_address_removed >mikeb.finger.file

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 93 15:53:15 EST
From: Michael A. Daugherty <email_address_removed>
Subject: trade opportunity

	I am in need of more DT stuff.  I have the DT live at the marquee
promo CD which I am willing to trade for copies of any DT stuff on tape.  I
have I&W and WDADU but Im looking for anything else they might have done,
including the majesty demos.  What I would prefer is a compilation tape with
every song that is not on either I&W and WDADU or any song not done by the
original singer of those songs, Dominici doing Metropolis, stuff like that.
If anyone is willing to work out a trade I'd be willing to negotiate.  I had
no idea there were so many DT songs I did not have, I need more. Someone help
me.
+Michael Daugherty

-- 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 93 13:09:06 PST
From: email_address_removed (Zack Gemmill)
Subject: Re: Warfield Show??

I was there!  I didn't get to stick around long enough to meet any of them
though.  Let me know about that video boot...

							Zach

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1993 16:47:44 -0500 (EST)
From: DEAN'S CUP COMMITTEE REPRESENTATIVE <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Bootleg: live in long island part 1

the set list didn't really look like that, the disc had mostly (if not 
all) songs from I&W except for only a matter of me which from my understanding
is one of their demos from when they were majesty.  later, Gary

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1993 18:38:25 -0500
From: email_address_removed
Subject: The silent one speaks!!!!!!!!

The new issue of Bass Player magazine (with Michael Mannring on the cover) has ashort interview with John Myung.  And we all thought he didn't speak.

By the way, speaking of Petrucci shanks, there's a pretty good one about half way through 'Bombay Vindaloo' but who give a shit.  He's still the man.

Mike

------------------------------

Date:  Wed, 15 Dec 1993 15:21:00 +0000 
From: "james (j.) wolf" <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Re: Petrucci Shank 

Petrucci does flub the LATM "Pull Me Under" in the intro.  At 0:28, he is 
picking from a C# (4th fret, 5th string) to a G (Open 3rd string) and he 
accidentally mutes the G string a bit so it doesn't ring as clear as it should.

There are some other minor mistakes on the album.  Another one occurs in 
Metropolis.  In the instrumental part of this song, the transition from the section where Kevin
is playing fast dissonant runs over chromatic bass lines (7/8 time sig.) to the
slower neo-classical section is kind of sloppy.  John P. comes in a bit to 
early.
 
By the way, I kind of like the fact that LATM has mistakes on it.  It kind of
validates the claim that this is actually a LIVE recording.  Too many live
recordings are touched up so much in the recording studio later on that to call
the recording "live" is almost inaccurate.  I get the feeling that 
Queensryche  "Operation:Livecrime" is this way, unfortunately (because I like
Queensryche so much).

-------------------
Wolf Man

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1993 17:14:23 -0500 (EST)
From: hartman larry <email_address_removed>
Subject: images

Could someone please make some DT gif images and upload them to the dream
theater section at cs.uwp.edu or some place like that?

I would love to have a big flaming heart as my background on my SGI 
workstation!

Jason Hartman

Let me know if there are any other net sites that has some DT info besides
cs.uwp.edu

Thanks

------------------------------

Date:  Wed, 15 Dec 1993 15:01:00 +0000 
From: "james (j.) wolf" <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Re-usable riff, Question Rephrased to Michael Bahr 

Since the question I asked in my previous post has been answered by Michael
Bahr, I guess I should rephrase it a bit.  In particular, exactly where in
the "Take the Time" instrumental section is the "Pull Me Under" riff used.  I
still don't hear it.

>From the new FAQ:

>3.19 Has anybody noticed the re-usable riff phenomenon?
>
>	Yes. Pull Me Under and Take The Time share a main riff, and Wait
>For Sleep and Learning to Live also share a main riff. Thematically, none
>of the songs interconnect. Mike Portnoy has said that the music is written
>out before the lyrics are written and set to melody. It is possible (any
>interviews mention this?) that they were intended to be counterparts and
>that the relation was either scrapped or made more subtle.

What parts of Pull Me Under and Take The Time share a riff?  Right at this 
moment I keep running both songs through my head but am driving myself crazy
because I can't find anything in common.  Anyone care to point me in the right
direction?  It must not be as obvious as Wait For Sleep and Learning to Live.

--------------
Wolf Man                                       

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1993 18:56:04 -0500 (EST)
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Admin address

Hi,

	Could somebody please post the administrator's address?  I need to
un-subscribe myself for winter break!

				Thanks,
	
				Aaro
				ASILVERM@UMIAMI

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1993 19:53:01 -0500 (EST)
From: Steve Kaye <email_address_removed>
Subject: demos

Hello,
	I am the one who posted about the Dream Theater/Majesty demos with 
Wanted Dead or Alive etc. on them.  I have received a lot of requests for copies
of this tape.  I'd like to accommodate everyone who wrote to me, but for right
now, if you have not heard from me through e-mail personally yet, I'd appreciate
if you wrote back to me at the end of January (when I return to school) and we
can work something out then.  I'm just really busy in these last few days of the
semester.  Thanks a lot for your patience.  Again, if we have already worked 
something out, you can expect a copy of them soon.

Steve Kaye

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 93 22:46:29 MST
From: Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Bootleg: live in long island part 1

> 
> the set list didn't really look like that, the disc had mostly (if not 
> all) songs from I&W except for only a matter of me which from my understanding
> is one of their demos from when they were majesty.  later, Gary
> 

	Only a matter of Me huh... hmmm.. don't know of any Majesty demo
by that name. Anyone? Anyone? I'm interested...
Mike/email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 93 22:53:40 MST
From: Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>
Subject: Bootleg trading

Before you flame me for what seems to be a non-DT related post... hehe.
Read the bit at the end. I'm a Rush fanatic but a DT diehard as well. I
can post an offer for DT boots upon request, but I am closing in on
rounding out my Rush collection, and since there is a LOT of crossover
fandom between Rush and Dream Theater, I'm offering this for the list's
perusal and refusal (or acceptance! hooray!)

---
Hello all! Just thought I would drop a notice regarding Rush bootlegs. As
many of you know I will gladly trade bootleg tapes/copies with anybody. I
just acquired two more (hence the reason for this posting). I still need
any boot from the COS tour and any boot from the first 1974 tour. The Live
At Electric Lady LP costs ~$200 around here!! :( Furthermore, I had the
misfortune of losing my copy of Stellar Dynamics (FBN tour) to theft.

	If anyone has a Presto tour boot it would be appreciated since my
homemade boot of the Presto show in Phoenix is pretty sorry. Also, the
AFTK tour boot I have is... well... lacking.

Anyway here's what I have in rank order of best sound quality. Note that
some of these are not boots at all but video dubs (hi fi).

Rank	Title			From this tour		Comments
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1	A Show of Hands video	Hold Your Fire		near perfect sound
2	Grace Under Press. vid	Grace Under Pressure	another great one
3.	Spirit of St. Louis	Permanent Waves		Clear and bright
4.	La Villa Strangiato	Permanent Waves		identical to #3 but
							omits one track
5.	Exit Stage Left video	Moving Pictures		sounds damn good
6.	Over The Europe		Roll The Bones		double CD set
7.	Temples of Syrinx	2112			almost same as ATWAS
8.	New World Tour Nassau	Signals			good bass
9.	A Right To Passage	Hemispheres		very clear
10.	Through Any Window	Power Windows		lacks bass
11.	Under the Desert Sun	A Farewell to Kings	lacks a LOT
12.	Magic Users		Presto			lacks even more

Need:
	Live At Electric Lady	Rush
		(or any other Rush 1974 tour boot)
	Stellar Dynamics	Fly By Night
		(or any other FBN 1975 tour boot)
	Any			Caress of Steel
		(you get the idea)
	Any			A Farewell to Kings
		(just as long as it's better than mine)
	Any			Presto
		(better than mine)

The two new ones have the following setlists:
	New World Tour: 
		Digital Man/Subdivisions/Vital Signs/YYZ/Drum Solo/
		Closer to the Heart/Chemistry/The Analog Kid/Broonsbane/
		The Trees/New World Man/Limelight/The Camera's Eye/2112/
		Xanadu/La Villa Strangiato/In The Mood
	Through Any Window:
		Spirit of Radio/Limelight/The Big Money/New World Man/
		Subdivisions/Manhattan Project/Middletown Dreams/Witch
		Hunt/Red Sector A/Closer to the Heart/Marathon/The Trees/
		Mystic Rhythms/Distant Early Warning/Territories/YYZ/
		Red Lenses/Tom Sawyer/2112/Grand Designs/In The Mood

Maybe YOUR favourite song was only played live on those tours!! :)
Take a look!

I also have bootleg Dream Theater, Queensryche, etc.
Please let me know if you want to trade! Thanks all...
- + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -
Mike/email_address_removed/Snow Dog of Prismatic Force Designs/sydest.com
"Wave after wave, will flow with the tide, and bury the world as it does
Tide after tide will flow and recede leaving life to go on as it was" -Rush
"You'll find all you need in your mind if you take the time" -Dream Theater
- + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1993 22:09:21 -0800 (PST)
From: "Paul W. Cashman" <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: thanks!

> 	They just about never say anything. I have a 2-page interview with
> Petrucci, a 3-pager with Moore,and at least 35 pages worth of Portnoy
> interviews... 

I think John Myung's sole contribution to the world of spoken voice
is......   "I feel kinda spooky."   :)     (From the LiT vid.)

Unwritten rule of rock bands:  when in doubt, always talk to the
drummer.  Being drummers, they always have to be moving something, and
jaws work just as well as hands and feet.  :)    (Portnoy, Ulrich,
Peart, uh...  Dave Re (hi Dave)....    hehe)

-- 
Paul W. Cashman          | Before the leaves have fallen
email_address_removed           | Before we lock the doors
Dream Theater  ------->  | There must be the third and last dance
"Metropolis Pt 1"        | ...This one will last forever...

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1993 01:13:50 -0500 (EST)
From: hartman larry <email_address_removed>
Subject: randy haskins

Sorry to post this in the digest but I was told to contact Randy Haskin
about some Dream Theater info.,

Could you please send me your address?

Thank you.

Jason Hartman

email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 93 05:55:00 BST
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Re: Majesty

>fourth of the 1987-forward demos just surfaced on the list... including a
>cover of Dead or Alive, and others. Technically, those four are Dream
 
That cover of Dead or Alive, according to John Petrucci, was basically just
him goofing around with a drum machine, so I don't think that that makes it
a Dream Theater demo in the same sense that those other songs are.  It was
just something he did for a laugh and he never intended for it to go any
farther than his own hands.  When I asked him about it, he was *quite*
embarassed that I even knew about it and seemed a bit upset that it was
circulating among fans.  The vocals on that track came later and were
provided not by John, BTW, but by Kevin Moore(!), or so John claims.  Maybe
John is just too embarassed to admit that he did it. ;)  It is pretty silly,
but great fun to listen to! :)
 
Jennifer Albert

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 93 22:41:46 MST
From: Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Great FAQ but I have an idea...

> 
> It's just the intro of metropolis, right?

Non-quoting hell! WHAT's just the intro again?? :)
Mike

------------------------------

Date:  Wed, 15 Dec 1993 14:39:00 +0000 
From: "james (j.) wolf" <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Re-usable riff 

>From the new FAQ:

>3.19 Has anybody noticed the re-usable riff phenomenon?
>
>	Yes. Pull Me Under and Take The Time share a main riff, and Wait
>For Sleep and Learning to Live also share a main riff. Thematically, none
>of the songs interconnect. Mike Portnoy has said that the music is written
>out before the lyrics are written and set to melody. It is possible (any
>interviews mention this?) that they were intended to be counterparts and
>that the relation was either scrapped or made more subtle.

What parts of Pull Me Under and Take The Time share a riff?  Right at this 
moment I keep running both songs through my head but am driving myself crazy
because I can't find anything in common.  Anyone care to point me in the right
direction?  It must not be as obvious as Wait For Sleep and Learning to Live.

--------------
Wolf Man

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 93 23:10:08 -0800
From: Jason Hough <email_address_removed>
Subject: Posting the FAQ to News and ftp

I will be making the FAQ availiable via FTP next week, and also  
setting up an auto-post to all of the applicable newsgroups.

The FAQ will also be availiable from bnf.com's archive server. 

More info to come!

Your humble ytsejam-owner....

Jason

--
-------------------------------------------
email_address_removed  /  Nextmail preferred
"I'm ashes on the water now,
      Somewhere far away..." - Marillion
-------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1993 02:50:47 -0800 (PST)
From: "Paul W. Cashman" <email_address_removed>
Subject: Review of I&W on mtv.com

If anyone's interested, Adam Curry has finally posted my I&W review on
his Internet site.  FTP to mtv.com, login as anonymous, etc.  It's in
the reviews directory.  File is album.images-and-words.txt.  My
biggest problem was trying to project even a modicum of objectivity.
hehehe

No sign yet of my LatM review, but I gather it takes a bit of work to
convert textfiles there to the WWW format ( .html).  Maybe it will
appear tomorrow.  :)

-- 
Paul W. Cashman          | Before the leaves have fallen
email_address_removed           | Before we lock the doors
Dream Theater  ------->  | There must be the third and last dance
"Metropolis Pt 1"        | ...This one will last forever...

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 93 09:34:24 -0500
From: Headley Grange <email_address_removed>
Subject: Excellent Jazz CD Sampler for $4!!!

DMP's 20-BIT ALL-DIGITAL JAZZ COLLECTION

The current worldwide renaissance in jazz is partly due to the activities of 
a number of small labels.  They have kept the beat going even in lean times 
by presenting new technology as well as new trends and new talent.  One of 
these dedicated jazz labels is DMP who has made available for $4.00 a 
brilliant sampler CD featuring over fifty minutes of music from the best of 
their outstanding catalog.  To get your copy, all you have to do is send your 
name and address (and tell us where you saw this message) with a check or 
money order payable to DMP for $4.00.  Send to:

DMP
PO Box 15835, Park Square Station
Stamford, CT 06901-0835

Offer expires January 15th, 1994.  Send $6.00 for orders outside the U.S.

DMP was the first jazz label to sell compact discs when that technology was 
introduced twelve years ago. Remaining on the cutting edge of digital 
technology, DMP is the first jazz label to utilize a 20-bit recording system, 
which creates a compact disc with an even wider dynamic range, higher 
resolution, and lower distortion than conventional 16-bit recorders.

Although the company has acquired the reputation of an "audiophile label," 
technology is only a means to an end for DMP president and co-founder, Tom 
Jung who has been nominated for two Grammy Awards as "Best Engineer".  "The 
music is the most important thing by far" he says.  "My goal, through 
audiophile techniques, is to make the technology disappear, to make the 
listeners so unaware of the production process that they focus only on the 
music." 

Performers who have been prominent in DMP's catalog of over 60 titles include 
guitarist Chuck Loeb, saxophonist Bob Mintzer, pianist Warren Bernhardt 
(currently on tour with Steely Dan), and the Dolphins with Dan Brubeck (son 
of Dave Brubeck).  All are represented on the sampler, along with Jay 
Anderson (with Randy Brecker on trumpet), The Robert Hohner Percussion 
Ensemble (world music), The Vivino Brothers Band (with legendary organist Al 
Kooper), David Charles & David Friedman, and The Bob Smith Band.

Although they may not all be big names, these artists have "big-name talent." 

(Note:  As a friend and a BIG FAN of DMP I offered to introduce them to 
cyberspace.  When I got this sampler I was floored over the quality of the 
music and was compelled to share this great find with other music lovers--
hope you have the same experience I did!)

Happy holidays,

HG

P.S.  If you plan to order the sampler or have any questions/comments about 
this offer, please tell me where you saw this message and send your name and 
e-mail address to:

email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1993 09:40:10 -0500 (EST)
From: email_address_removed (DAVID RE)
Subject: Re: thanks!

> Unwritten rule of rock bands:  when in doubt, always talk to the
> drummer.  Being drummers, they always have to be moving something, and
> jaws work just as well as hands and feet.  :)    (Portnoy, Ulrich,
> Peart, uh...  Dave Re (hi Dave)....    hehe)

     Heh heh. I bet you think you're funny, eh, Cahsman??? :) At least I'm 
grouped in with three drummers who have some recognition and get some respect,
right??? :)
  
     Oh, and don't forget, keyboards work pretty well, too!!!!

-- 
Dave Re                   |"I am your master, when you're all alone.
OIT/TS/ISD                | You can come to me child, when you're without home.
email_address_removed  | I will share your pain, of long lost dignity.
                          | Happiness evades you, you'll get no sympathy."
                          |       "Father of the Night", Crowdad
  "Huh huh. You want cash, or should we go spank the monkey again? Huh Huh."
     "Beating heads on the Early Warning soul train..........." 
     "Huh huh. He's fallen, and he can't get it up. Huh huh..."

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 93 09:50 EST
From: email_address_removed (Pat Daugherty)
Subject: Live PMU on radio

Well about the live Pull Me Under being on radio. I heard the live song
a couple of months ago on the last pirate radio which was a national show.
So the live song has been heard nationwide on the radio.

--Pat Daugherty
email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1993 09:37:48 -0500
From: email_address_removed (Greg "Big Brother" Lee)
Subject: CDC List.

I recently checked out the CDC list for When Dream and Day Unite.
There are 3 listed - one as an ALEX, a PHANTOM and an IMPORT.  DOes
anyone know what the difference is...I couldn't get a track listing.

Later!

Greg.
email_address_removed

------------------------------
End of Digest
************************