Subject: YTSEJAM digest 271
From: email_address_removed
To: Multiple recipients of list <email_address_removed>

Contents:
Re: YTSEJAM digest 268 (email_address_removed (DAVID RE))
Re: YTSEJAM digest 268 (DEAN'S CUP COMMITTEE REPRESENTATIVE <email_address_removed>)
Re: YTSEJAM digest 268 (STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION PRESIDENT - BAH HUMBUG <email_address_removed>)
Re: Petrucci Shank (STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION PRESIDENT - BAH HUMBUG <email_address_removed>)
Non-DT Talk (email_address_removed)
Re: Little more on the lyrics of Eve (Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>)
Re: faq (Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>)
Re: Just born (WE WERE JUST HAVING FUN <email_address_removed>)
Re: demos (Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>)
Re: Petrucci Shank (email_address_removed (DAVID RE))
Re: Petrucci Shank (William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>)
CDC and Live at the Marquis (email_address_removed (Corey McKenzie))
Re: thanks! (email_address_removed (Ed Payne))
sheet music (WE WERE JUST HAVING FUN <email_address_removed>)
Hamlet & Pull Me Under (nit picking) (Christopher White <email_address_removed>)
A GREAT BIG.... (April Nuhn <email_address_removed>)
Re: license plates (email_address_removed (Zack Gemmill))
Other DT songs (Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>)
SUBSCRIBE (email_address_removed)
Warfield Show?? (BERTAPELLE  ADAM RAYE <email_address_removed>)
Re: YTSEJAM digest 268 (William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>)
Great FAQ but I have an idea... (email_address_removed)
Bootleg: live in long island part 1 (DEAN'S CUP COMMITTEE REPRESENTATIVE <email_address_removed>)
discog update... (A Lerxst in Wonderland <email_address_removed>)
Majesty (email_address_removed)
 (email_address_removed.AC.UK)
Re: Petrucci Shank (email_address_removed (Steve Mansfield))

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 10:12:32 -0500 (EST)
From: email_address_removed (DAVID RE)
Subject: Re: YTSEJAM digest 268

> before or after "Watch the sparrow falling...", or after the guitar
> break after "Watch the sparrow falling..."?

     Sorry, but I forgot the subject name for the thread I think this goes
with. You mean the note Petrucci shanked?? :) On the LatM PMU, at, I think the
other guy said 0:28, during the opening section of the song. Hee hee. It is
pretty funny. When I got i that promo and threw it on, my guitar player    
immediatly said "Hey, he blew that note", and then proceeded to back the 
thing up about 100 times to prove it to our other guitar player :)

-- 
Dave Re                   |"I am your master, when you're all alone.
OIT/TS/ISD                | You can come to me child, when you're without home.
email_address_removed  | I will share your pain, of long lost dignity.
                          | Happiness evades you, you'll get no sympathy."
                          |       "Father of the Night", Crowdad
         "Heh Heh. I know where there's a dead raccoon!! Heh heh."
                       "FIRE!!!  FIRE!!! FIRE!!!"

 	 "The juggernaut that is Early Warning will CRUSH you!!!!" 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 11:18:25 -0500 (EST)
From: DEAN'S CUP COMMITTEE REPRESENTATIVE <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: YTSEJAM digest 268

before at the very beginning of the song.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 12:14:45 -0500 (EST)
From: STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION PRESIDENT - BAH HUMBUG <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: YTSEJAM digest 268

Ok. if you were referring to the Petrucci Shank. its in
the beginning of pull me under latm, you know how it goes:
da - dana
da - dana
da - da na
da- dana, danana
something like that. listen closely . its there.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 12:17:30 -0500 (EST)
From: STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION PRESIDENT - BAH HUMBUG <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Petrucci Shank

>Subject: Re: Petrucci Shank
>
>If you hear a flaw in Petrucci's "Pull Me Under" intro, you don't
>have a very keen ear for harmony.  Yes, at 0:28 he does play a
>different note, but I'm sure not on accident.  It sounds sublime to
>me!
>		-Adam Bertapelle

No, I think my ear for harmony is very good. If it is supposed to be
like that, well then I think it sounds totally horrible!!

Tim

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 12:20:00 -0500 (EST)
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Non-DT Talk

Last word to all those complaining about non-DT talk:  When this list got
started we pretty much agreed that non-DT stuff was OK as long as it was
semi-related, i.e. a band in the same genre, etc.  I'm real sorry if a few
people don't like hearing about other stuff, but that was the way this list
began so don't go making pronouncements about what does or doesn't belong on
this list!  The majority doesn't really care, and the only person who should
have the balls to tell everyone how to operate is the list manager.  If he's
got a problem with some thread that's going on, it's his place to tell people
to cut it, and his place alone.  There's never been any complaints about talk
of other bands here before, and I sincerely hope that we can stop wasting even
more time arguing a point that was agreed on long ago.

				Have a nice day :)

				Aaron
				ASILVERM@UMIAMI

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 93 11:50:37 MST
From: Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Little more on the lyrics of Eve

> 
> Though i had mentioned it before, I see it didn't make it
> to the FAQ. I suppose it's ok, considering I don't have
> the title of what I am referencing, anyways.
> 
> The "House of Gold" "Tower of Ivory" section is making
> reference to an old prayer to St. Mary (let me guess, Kevin
> found this one), though it is not taken directly from it.
> I'll see if I can find it or at least it's title over
> break
> 

	What didn't make it? Perhaps I missed the mail? If you sent me
something, I want to put it in, believe me! :) If you can find that title,
please let me know, and what else had you mailed me on? Sorry bout that! :)
Mike/email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 93 11:52:32 MST
From: Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: faq

> 
> Excerpts from mail: 12-Dec-93 Re: faq by Michael [email-masked] 
> > 
> >         Yes. Pull Me Under and Take The Time share a main riff, and Wait
> > 
> 
> Which riff?

	Well, I think I replied to this already, but in case it didn't
make it out, listen to the middle of TTT with the instrumental part. Note
the "This world is spinning around me, this world is spinning without me"
riff... it's pretty obvious once it comes on, right there in the
foreground, not hidden or anything.
Mike/email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 13:49:30 -0500 (EST)
From: WE WERE JUST HAVING FUN <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Just born

This is Steve.  I don't know what you would really want copies of what I have.
I don't have any other DT stuff, but tellme some other music groups your 
interested in and I'll see what i can do.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 93 11:53:54 MST
From: Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: demos

> 
> in the discography, there are demos listed from 1986-1988, and then the "demos
> without a home."  What does this mean?  I have a tape that has, from this 
> list, Metropolis part I:The Miracle and the Sleeper(instrumental), Don't Look
> Past me (I'm not sure who's singing; I think it's Dominici?), (To Live) 
> Forever, and O Holy Night, plus a cover of Bon Jovi's Wanted Dead or Alive,
> Two different versions of Mission Impossible, and instrumentals of Afterlife 
> and Change Of Seasons.
> Does anyone know what these are from?

	That's what we meant by "demos without a home".... we had no idea
what they were recorded on/from... where'd you get the tape? I'd
physically kill for that cover of WDOA...
hehe
- + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -
Mike/email_address_removed/Snow Dog of Prismatic Force Designs/sydest.com
Likely or not, it's a dream that we keep, and at odds with our senses we'll
climb. But if faith is the answer, we've already reached it, and if spirit's
a sign, then it's only a matter of time... -Dream Theater
- + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 14:09:43 -0500 (EST)
From: email_address_removed (DAVID RE)
Subject: Re: Petrucci Shank

> I just listened as well to see what the deal was.  I think the original
> poster is smoking the good stuff, and he's not sharing.  The point in
> question is where Kevin's keyboards are being fadeed in a bit as well.   I
> wonder if maybe he heard a keyboard note, and mistook it for John.

     Naw. I'm not smoking anything, but then again, I'm not the original 
poster. The thing is, he doesn't hit a real "off" note, like half a step 
away from the proper note, or something. What it sounds like is that he 
either missed the string with the pick, or didn't have his fretting hand
quite right, or otherwise muted or flubbed the strings. Real common in 
inexpierienced players as they learn how to finger different chords and all.
Real common for me since I don't play much guitar :) However, it's kinda funny
that it would come from Petrucci on such a simple part. Anyhow, it's there.
Right at 0:28 on the song from the cut from LatM. No, it's not the keyboards,
no, it's not some searingly wrong note, and no it's not the mix. By the same
token, John Petrucci is *not* a god, he's the a regular human being like the
rest of us. He just happens to play guitar real well. What I find so amusing
is that some people just can't imagine him screwing up. Heh. It happens to
everyone. Fact is, it's not a major mistake, so they probably pulled the
fader down just a bit at mixdown so it didn't stand out, and left it. A lot
more sincere than overdubs, IMO :)

-- 
Dave Re                   |"I am your master, when you're all alone.
OIT/TS/ISD                | You can come to me child, when you're without home.
email_address_removed  | I will share your pain, of long lost dignity.
                          | Happiness evades you, you'll get no sympathy."
                          |       "Father of the Night", Crowdad
         "Heh Heh. I know where there's a dead raccoon!! Heh heh."
                       "FIRE!!!  FIRE!!! FIRE!!!"

 	 "The juggernaut that is Early Warning will CRUSH you!!!!" 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 14:49:23 -0500 (EST)
From: William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Petrucci Shank

I think what he means is he hits an F on the 6th string instead of a d
on the 4th string. This is intentional, he does this all the time. He
has screwed up live several times, though. listen to LATM and you'll
know what I mean

Bill Bajzek           
email_address_removed      
email_address_removed   
email_address_removed       

finger email_address_removed for more information

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 93 14:05:47 CST
From: email_address_removed (Corey McKenzie)
Subject: CDC and Live at the Marquis

If you are looking for Live at the Marquis, I found it at a Best Buy store
in Dallas for $13.88.

Unfortunately, I had placed the order for the same CD from the Compact Disc
Connection (holonet.net user cdc).  They were unwilling to cancel my order;
their policy does state that they can not cancel orders once the supplier
has been contacted, but then I ordered on Saturday night and requested the
cancellation on Sunday night.  Thus, they were out nothing if they had
cancelled my order for me (and would have received orders for several other
items they have that I wanted).  I suppose the moral of the story is, don't
order from cdc unless they are your last hope.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 93 15:42:34 EST
From: email_address_removed (Ed Payne)
Subject: Re: thanks!

>	Hehe I know it. According to Portnoy in one of the interviews,
>Images was supposed to contain ACOS, then when it didn't, LATM was
>supposed to be titled ACOS originally and include it and maybe three other
>tracks. Finally, Portnoy said inthe most recent interview (12/3/93!!) that
>it was planned to show up on their next release. I think, however, the new
>release will feature the normal (~5:30) version of (To Live) Forever. It's
>about that length on its demo (as submitted) and on three bootlegs. :)

	Have I somehow missed the postings of these interviews?  I got one
of M.P. back in April (I think), but that is all.  Can someone email me
about where to find it?  THANKS!!  BTW, why does it seem that all the
interviews people mention are mainly from Mike?  Do any of the other
members talk.  I know they don't sing. ;^)

Ed Payne

P.S.	Great work on the FAQ!!!!!

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------
 | ...To each other they will soon  | email_address_removed       |
 |    return. Destiny fulfilled,    | Harris Corporation                 |
 |    the words will burn... an     | Melbourne, Fl                      |
 |    eternal flame.                | 32902                              |
 |                                  -------------------------------------|
 |       <|> Journey From Mariabronn - Kansas <|>                        |
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 16:37:46 -0500 (EST)
From: WE WERE JUST HAVING FUN <email_address_removed>
Subject: sheet music

Hello Dt fans.  my name is steve and i'm writing about sheet music.  Does 
anyone know where i can get sheet music for Dt's stuff?  I would take anything
from keyboard music, to what i play, the guitar.  I would especially like the
piano music for "Wait for Sleep".  so if anyone has any ideas I'd love to 
hear them.				thanks in advance
					steve wisinski
					email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 93 13:19:58 -0800
From: Christopher White <email_address_removed>
Subject: Hamlet & Pull Me Under (nit picking)

There are 9 deaths in Hamlet. They are:

Hamlet
Ophelia
Laertes
Laertes Father (Cor???)
The King
The Queen
Rosencrantz
Gildenstern
Hamlet's Father (previous to onset, but detailed within)

Hamlet is *responsible* for 7, hence the "I'll take seven lives for one."

Nit Pickingly Yours,

Topher

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 21:40:15 -0500 (EST)
From: April Nuhn <email_address_removed>
Subject: A GREAT BIG....

....THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED ME TO FIND "WHEN DREAM AND DAY UNITE".....

-----you made two people very, very, very happy....right, Greg?

	-april

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 93 19:36:52 PST
From: email_address_removed (Zack Gemmill)
Subject: Re: license plates

> From email_address_removed Tue Nov 30 16:55:08 1993
> Date: Tue, 30 Nov 93 14:36:47 PST
> Originator: email_address_removed
> Reply-To: <email_address_removed>
> Sender: email_address_removed
> Version: 5.5 -- Copyright (c) 1991/92, Anastasios Kotsikonas
> From: email_address_removed (Steve Mansfield)
> To: Multiple recipients of list <email_address_removed>
> Subject: Re: license plates
> Content-Length: 441
> 
> > She says it mainly James's voice!  HIS VOICE IS GREAT!!  Plus I think she is
> > just jealous that they (especially James's voice) are better then Queensryche.
> 
> How's this:  I can't stand Rush, mainly due to Getty's voice.  Some voices
> just bug some people.
> 
> Steve Mansfield  | Once you're touched you stand alone to face the bitter fight
> email_address_removed | Once I reached for love but now I reach for life.
> Dream Theater - Learning to Live
> 

~ I know this post is old but... 

  That's funny, a friend of mine thinks Geddy is  talented singer because of the
  way he used to scream sing on the *old* Rush.  He then said that he liked DT 
  but that James's voice annoyed him.  Go figure.

						Zach
_______________________________________________________________________________

"Science like nature, must also be tamed."

"Imagine a man where it all began..."

"Roll the bones."

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 22:50:58 -0500 (EST)
From: Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>
Subject: Other DT songs

If anyone out there has any unusual DT songs, could you please mail
me.  I am trying to get every song that Dream Theater (or Majesty) has
ever played.  I have the Majesty Demos that were listed in the FAQ (it
was my set list that was included), and quite a few concert boots with
some unreleased songs.  I have the following:

Official Releases:
Iamges & Words
When Dream & Day Unite (German)
Live At The Marquee  (Japan)
Live At The Marquee Promo disc (???)
Live In Tokyo (video, American)

Bootleg CDs (& copies of CDs):
Dances of Eternity (2 CD, Italy)
Cansciously Unreal (2 CD, Italy)
Images & Tour!  (copy of CD, ???)

Audience recordings:
Buffalo, date unknown
Washington D.C. -The Bayou theater, Dec 10, 1992
Cincinatti--video, bad picture
San Francisco -Warfield Theater, 6/5/93 (audio & video)
Deer Parks, NY -Sparks Theater, 10/4/92 (audio & video) 

Demos:
Majesty Demos (before DT was DT, they were Majesty)
Here is the set list (as I recieved it, so they might not be correct)
Side One			Side Two
-1986-				-1987-
Another Won			Afterlife
Your Majesty			"Death Of Spock"
A Vision			The Ytse Jam
Two Fat				The Killing Hand
Vital Star			Cry For Freedom
March of the Tyrant		"Resurrection of Ernie"
A Late Summer Rain/		-1988-
  Schiziophrenia		Mission Impossible Theme
(Petrucci Solo)			The Golden Weight

As I said before, I am trying to find everything that has ever been
recorded by them, so I am willing to deal.  
-- 
************************************************************************
* I was told there's a miricle for each day that I try                 *
* I was told there's a new love that's born for each one that has died *
* I was told there'd be no one to call on when I feel alone and afraid *
* I was told if you dream of the next world                            *
* You'll find yourself swimming in a lake of fire                      *
*	Dream Theater	Metropolis (part 1)	Images and Words       *
*	Michael Burstin			     Brandeis University       *
************************************************************************
*  Let's Go Pens   Let's Go Pens	 Lets Go Pens	 Let's Go Pens *
************************************************************************
For info on Dream Theater, some Steven Write jokes, the master list of
pickup lines, a revised history of the world, a few blond jokes: 
	finger email_address_removed >mikeb.finger.file

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 22:50:53 -0500 (EST)
From: email_address_removed
Subject: SUBSCRIBE

SUBSCRIBE email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 21:12:18 -0700 (MST)
From: BERTAPELLE  ADAM RAYE <email_address_removed>
Subject: Warfield Show??

Hey, was anybody at the show in June 1993 at the Warfield in San
Francisco?  I have a source for a bootleg video of the show.  If
anybody was there, did you happen to see Mike Portnoy in the lobby,
just chillin?  He's a great guy, and a good stagediver, as well.

"Gimme a bacon double mega whopper with twisted sister fries"
					-Sebastian Bach

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 15:02:30 -0500 (EST)
From: William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: YTSEJAM digest 268

Please give me the cd clock times of the pmu ttt double riff. I dont
hear one at all.

Bill Bajzek           
email_address_removed      
email_address_removed   
email_address_removed       

finger email_address_removed for more information

------------------------------

Date: 14 Dec 1993 16:42:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Great FAQ but I have an idea...

That FAQ is great!!!  I have an idea that you might want to consider:

  Why don't you post the newest version (and future versions) of the FAQ at
some ftp site so that it's availble to anybody and everybody on the INTERNET.  I recommend
putting it on FTP.UWP.EDU.  They have a huge archive of music files,
discographies, pictures and interviews for a great many bands.  AND 
FTP.UWP.EDU already has a Dream Theater directory!
  I just say this because its a pain to get the entire FAQ off a mail 
message and it would be some much easier to just have it in a text 
file on some FTP site somewhere (hopefully FTP.UWP.EDU).
  Also it will advertise the Ytsejam Mailing list to other DT fans 
because there is instructions on how to join the Ytsejam Mailing 
List at the beginning of the FAQ.

  Oh, there's already a guitar transcription of Metrotroplis in the 
directory /pub/music/d/dreamtheater.

  Just my $.02 cent idea!

  Alex Randall
  (email_address_removed)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 20:56:04 -0500 (EST)
From: DEAN'S CUP COMMITTEE REPRESENTATIVE <email_address_removed>
Subject: Bootleg: live in long island part 1

I believe I saw the disc live in long island tonight when I went to a local
import shop.  It had a song from the original demos called only a matter of me
on it and not the other songs that were listed in the faq under live in long 
island part 2 (that's why I think I saw part 1).  the rest of the songs were
all songs off of their album images and words.  Has anyone else seen this disc
?  I know I'm not going crazy.  The disc didn't say where it was recorded 
either.  I would have bought it but I'm broke.  later, Gary
ps I found it funny after seeing the disc that in the faq it said where's the
first part after the listing for part 2.  If anyone has any more info about 
this please vax me.  I'd be interested to find out exactly what's up.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 23:46:08 -0600 (CST)
From: A Lerxst in Wonderland <email_address_removed>
Subject: discog update...

I forgot who to send this to, so I will just post it:

I finally found my old WDADU on cassette!  Here is the original American 
release information:

Dream Theater "When Dream and Day Unite" 1989 MCA records USA
	MCAC-42259 cassette
	MCAD-42259 compact disc
	
it was probably MCAL-42259 or something on LP.  i don't have this, but i do
remember seeing this in stores.  They actually used to have copies of WDADU
in stock in most stores (even in Texas) before the band parted with their 
label.  I am surprised more people on here don't have it.  Someone must have
bought all those copies I saw.  Hastings here in college station even had a 
release date for Images and Words, so I got it the day it came out, boy was
I excited....

the cd looks almost identical to the imports now, i don't have one to compare
it to, but i seem to remember the import having a green tint to the cover, 
this one is kinda purple.  also it is missing the "printed in germany" on the
back, and has a UPC code on the back: "0 7674-22259-2 6". the printed lyrics
are much whiter and sharper than the ones i have seen in the imports.  

*****************************************************************************
*Brian V. Cox             *"You and I long to live like wind upon the water *
*Texas A&M University     * If we close our eyes, we'll maybe realize       *
*(409)822-6750     	  * There's more to life than what we have known    *
*email_address_removed  * And I can't believe I spent so long             *
*************************** Living lies I knew were wrong inside            *
* "What you believe is    * I've just begun to see the light..."            *
* What you are...Therefore*          -Queensryche "Anybody Listening?"      *
* I am nothing"  -Brian   * "Machines have no conscience..." -Qryche NM156  *
*****************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 93 06:11:00 BST
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Majesty

Hello fellow DT fanatics-
 
Perhaps this will help clear up some of the questions regarding Majesty.  I
have an original copy of the Majesty cassette and the liner notes are as
follows:
 
Side A:  Another Won (5:23)
 Your Majesty (3:41)
 A Vision (11:13)
 
Side B:  Two Far (5:15)
 Vital Star (5:34)
 March Of The Tyrant (5:21)
 
All Songs Copyright 1986 MAJESTY
 
Majesty is:  John Petrucci (Guitar), John Myung (Bass), Mike Portnoy
(Drums), Kevin Moore (Keyboards), Chris Collins (Vocals)
 
Produced by Paul Falcone, James Hull & Majesty
 Engineered by Paul Falcone and James Hull
 
For Further Information Contact:
 
Majesty
 c/o Andrew Ross
 119 Jefferson Ave.
 Island Park, NY  11558
 516-431-2287
 
This Tape Was Recorded On Just 4 Tracks!

That's all of the information contained on the j-card.  Although the
cassette wasn't issued on any label in particular (which is why it has
always been referred to as the "Majesty Demo"), it has a catalog number, M-
4400, listed on both the j-card and the cassette itself.  The j-card's front
cover consists of a black background with the band's name written in purple
letters and a crown resting on top of the letter "J".  (The DT logo - the
one that appears all over Mike's drumset and has been the subject of many
discussions here on Ytse Jam as of late - is *nowhere* to be found in the
artwork on the cover of the Majesty demo.  Perhaps they decided to use it as
their logo after the tape was completed?)  This cassette is *THE* Majesty
demo; it was professionally recorded and distributed promotionally.  The
other demo material that has been talked about on this list and has
circulated through trading by fans has also been referred to as "the Majesty
demos", but all of those songs (instrumental versions of songs like
Afterlife & Status Seeker, "Ressurrection Of Ernie", O Holy Night, etc.) are
essentially just bootlegs of demos the band has made over the years and none
of them were professionally produced or issued, promotionally or otherwise,
like "Majesty" was.  Technically, those demos shouldn't necessarily be
referred to as "Majesty demos", I suppose, although I'd be hard-pressed to
come up with another name for them. :)  Calling all of the pre-WD&DU
bootlegged material "Majesty demos" could possibly confuse fans who also
know that they made a professional tape called "Majesty" in 1986.  Does
anyone have any ideas pertaining to what they should be called?
 
I had originally e-mailed this information only to Mike to help out with the
discography (thanks for the mention in the FAQ, guys!:), but decided that
since this particular thread was becoming so frequently discussed, I should
post it to the entire list.  I hope it helped clear some things up!
 
This is my first public post on this mailing list, BTW.  Be gentle with me.
:)
 
Jennifer Albert

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 93 09:11:09 GMT
From: email_address_removed.AC.UK
Subject: 

Hi,
   Last issue, Steve Mansfield wrote:
-----------
>As a note, our local Indian restaurant, in their curry dishes, call it
>Vindalo, not Vindaloo.  Does anyone know enough about Indian
>languange/food to know if maybe there's a dialectual difference or if
>maybe the band just got creative?  8-)  Lamb Vindalo is quite a tasy
>dish, I must add.  I'll have to ask them if they know anything about the
>Bombay Vindalo dish.  B-)
------------
  I think this is a case of variable translation from the Indian language
into US & UK English.  In the UK it's definitely 'vindaloo', but it doesn't
surprise me that in the US the spelling changes slightly. (I've also seen
it done with the Greek dish 'kebabs', which in the US are sometimes spelt
'kabobs').  I assume DT chose the UK spelling because the album (LatM)
was made in the UK.

    Paul May, University of Bristol, UK

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1993 06:28:44 -0500 (EST)
From: email_address_removed (Steve Mansfield)
Subject: Re: Petrucci Shank

> > I just listened as well to see what the deal was.  I think the original
> > poster is smoking the good stuff, and he's not sharing.  The point in
> > question is where Kevin's keyboards are being fadeed in a bit as well.   I
> > wonder if maybe he heard a keyboard note, and mistook it for John.
> 
>      Naw. I'm not smoking anything, but then again, I'm not the original 
> poster. The thing is, he doesn't hit a real "off" note, like half a step 
> away from the proper note, or something. What it sounds like is that he 
> either missed the string with the pick, or didn't have his fretting hand
> quite right, or otherwise muted or flubbed the strings. Real common in 
> inexpierienced players as they learn how to finger different chords and all.
> Real common for me since I don't play much guitar :) However, it's kinda funny

More than I do.  8-)

> that it would come from Petrucci on such a simple part. Anyhow, it's there.
> Right at 0:28 on the song from the cut from LatM. No, it's not the keyboards,

I know that now.  I was listening to IaW.  He didn't mention originally
that it was LAtM.  Unfortunately, I don't have that, so I can't listen to
it.  :-(

Steve Mansfield  | Once you're touched you stand alone to face the bitter fight
email_address_removed | Once I reached for love but now I reach for life.
Dream Theater - Learning to Live

------------------------------
End of Digest
************************