Subject: YTSEJAM digest 266
From: email_address_removed
To: Multiple recipients of list <email_address_removed>

Contents:
Re: Symbol (email_address_removed)
Excellent Jazz Sampler for $4!!!! (Headley Grange <email_address_removed>)
Re: DT Sign (email_address_removed (Bill Nottingham))
Compact Disc Connection (email_address_removed.ca (William Kriski))
Re:  YTSEJAM digest 263 (<email_address_removed>)
Sheet music (Younis Youssef Hilal <email_address_removed>)
Re: First Album Covers (email_address_removed)
DT sign? (Brent Phillips <email_address_removed>)
Re: Compact Disc Connection (Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>)
Re: First Album Covers (email_address_removed)
DT FAQ, ETA: 3 Days (Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>)
James and other things (Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>)
WDADU (& others) from internet (Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>)
Re:  CDs Wanted (Martin A Hennemann <email_address_removed>)
Re: Symbol (William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>)
Re: Dominici (Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>)
The DT "symbol" ("David Anthony Barro, 'The Lost Sheep'" <email_address_removed>)
Re: Compact Disc Connection (William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>)
Just born (WE WERE JUST HAVING FUN <email_address_removed>)
Re: Dream Theater FAQ is almost here! (Martin A Hennemann <email_address_removed>)
Re: The DT "symbol"  (email_address_removed)
Re:  Compact Disc Connection (Martin A Hennemann <email_address_removed>)
Re: reoccuring themes ("Paul W. Cashman" <email_address_removed>)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1993 11:26:02 -0500 (EST)
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Re: Symbol

Actually, I think the DT symbol is the letters from Majesty, not DT!
(I dare ya to find a D or an R in there!!! :) )

				Aaron
				ASILVERM@UMIAMI

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 93 13:28:46 -0500
From: Headley Grange <email_address_removed>
Subject: Excellent Jazz Sampler for $4!!!!

DMP's 20-BIT ALL-DIGITAL JAZZ COLLECTION

The current worldwide renaissance in jazz is partly due to the activities of 
a number of small labels.  They have kept the beat going even in lean times 
by presenting new technology as well as new trends and new talent.  One of 
these dedicated jazz labels is DMP who has made available for $4.00 a 
brilliant sampler CD featuring over fifty minutes of music from the best of 
their outstanding catalog.  To get your copy, all you have to do is send your 
name and address (and tell us where you saw this message) with a check or 
money order payable to DMP for $4.00.  Send to:

DMP
PO Box 15835, Park Square Station
Stamford, CT 06901-0835

Offer expires January 15th, 1994.  Send $6.00 for orders outside the U.S.

DMP was the first jazz label to sell compact discs when that technology was 
introduced twelve years ago. Remaining on the cutting edge of digital 
technology, DMP is the first jazz label to utilize a 20-bit recording system, 
which creates a compact disc with an even wider dynamic range, higher 
resolution, and lower distortion than conventional 16-bit recorders.

Although the company has acquired the reputation of an "audiophile label," 
technology is only a means to an end for DMP president and co-founder, Tom 
Jung who has been nominated for two Grammy Awards as "Best Engineer".  "The 
music is the most important thing by far" he says.  "My goal, through 
audiophile techniques, is to make the technology disappear, to make the 
listeners so unaware of the production process that they focus only on the 
music." 

Performers who have been prominent in DMP's catalog of over 60 titles include 
guitarist Chuck Loeb, saxophonist Bob Mintzer, pianist Warren Bernhardt 
(currently on tour with Steely Dan), and the Dolphins with Dan Brubeck (son 
of Dave Brubeck).  All are represented on the sampler, along with Jay 
Anderson (with Randy Brecker on trumpet), The Robert Hohner Percussion 
Ensemble (world music), The Vivino Brothers Band (with legendary organist Al 
Kooper), David Charles & David Friedman, and The Bob Smith Band.

Although they may not all be big names, these artists have "big-name talent." 

If you plan to order the sampler or have any questions/comments about this 
offer, please send your name and e-mail address to:

email_address_removed

(Note:  As a friend and a BIG FAN of DMP I offered to introduce them to 
cyberspace.  When I got this sampler I was floored over the quality of the 
music and was compelled to share this great find with other music lovers--
hope you have the same experience I did!)

Happy holidays,

HG

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 93 12:47:12 -0500
From: email_address_removed (Bill Nottingham)
Subject: Re: DT Sign

>
>>Anybody out there knows what the DT sign is all about? I'm talking
>>about the scripture thing appearing on the bed on the
>>I&W cover 
>
>
>Someone explained this earlier...
>One thing more that should go into the FAQ, likely.
>
>It had something to do with a symbol for some royal house,
>or some such, if I recalll right.

It's the letters from the word Majesty overlaid on one another...
(Majesty b/c that was their old name.)

--
====================       ___/|           ==============================
| Bill Nottingham  |       \o o|         / All I want is a kind word, a |  
| email_address_removed |       (_"_)       / warm bed - and absolute power. | 
====================         U        ===================================

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 93 11:55:12 MST
From: email_address_removed.ca (William Kriski)
Subject: Compact Disc Connection

Hello there,

I was going to order LatM and/or wdadu from the compact disc connection but I noticed they have about 3 different versions, each with a different price.  Does anyone know the difference in these versions, if any?  All I know is that they are different recording companies, but if they have the same quality I would probably buy the cheapest one.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 93 14:39:40 EST
From: <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re:  YTSEJAM digest 263

Just in case my mail can't get through to James, man of the killer
email address, I post a message here. I am interested in picking up
the used LATM--is this the version that has Bombay Vindaloo on it
(I seem to remember there being different version).

please email me

jeremy
email_address_removed
email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1993 10:01:50 -0800 (PST)
From: Younis Youssef Hilal <email_address_removed>
Subject: Sheet music

I mentioned once in a previous posting that I got hooked on DT as soon as
I heard Portnoy get busy on I&W.  Anyway, I recently got hold of the drum 
edition of the sheet music for  Metallica's "...And Justice For All." 
Owning it has made me VERY HAPPY.  I had no idea these things existed.  All
I'd ever seen of their music was the guitar sheet music.  Have any of you
heard of or seen a similar thing for ANY of DT's albums?  If so, could you
tell me how I could get a copy?

Younis Hilal

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 93 14:47:55 EST
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Re: First Album Covers

I am not employed by Best Buy, but I would like to make another note that
Best Buy is much better (for me) than Tower Records or just about any other
big store.  They carry more rare imports and things than just about anybody!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1993 16:22:10 -0500
From: Brent Phillips <email_address_removed>
Subject: DT sign?

I believe that I heard somewhere (maybe on this list?) that
the symbol was a juxtaposition of the letters of "Majesty",
which was the name of the band before they were Dream Theater.

- Brent

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 93 14:54:26 MST
From: Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Compact Disc Connection

> 
> Hello there,
> 
> I was going to order LatM and/or wdadu from the compact disc connection but I noticed they have about 3 different versions, each with a different price.  Does anyone know the difference in these versions, if any?  All I know is that they are different r
ec> ording companies, but if they have the same quality I would probably buy the cheapest one.
> 

As detailed int he discog and FAQ... most recently posted to one of the
last digests... there are two LATM's and one WDADU (maybe another from a
different country.)

All WDADU's are alike. As far as songs go.

The LATM's are different. the cheaper one has Surrounded on it and the
more expensive one has Another Day instead.
Mike

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1993 18:52:35 -0500 (EST)
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Re: First Album Covers

WHERE IS THERE A BEST BUYIN THE MIAMI, NY OR BOSTON AREA???????????????

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 93 16:28:30 MST
From: Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>
Subject: DT FAQ, ETA: 3 Days

	The first edition of the DT FAQL is about three days from being a
reality... Jason Hough and I have compiled it, plus tons of "beta testing"
by Mike Burstin and Randy Haskin, this one is going to be GOOD.. hehe
includes such things as the complete transcription to Eve and missing
songs, missing sequences, info on the Dominici good-bye and the subsequent
LaBrie hire, a full discog (shorter than before since the overhead was
deleted) and a ton of surprises. 

We'll be looking forward to hearing what the mailing list thinks of it..
anyway just a little warm-up... take it easy all
Mike/email_address_removed
- + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -
Mike/email_address_removed/Snow Dog of Prismatic Force Designs/sydest.com
Likely or not, it's a dream that we keep, and at odds with our senses we'll
climb. But if faith is the answer, we've already reached it, and if spirit's
a sign, then it's only a matter of time... -Dream Theater
- + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1993 18:57:09 -0500 (EST)
From: Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>
Subject: James and other things

As I said before, I just got a copy of some shows from Brian Cox,
including a show from Deer Park, NY.  Anyway James did sorta screw up
at a few times, and seemed to be sorta out of it.  His attitude
however did not seem to be too bad about the mistakes that he made.
For example, he forgot the name for a song for a few secs (I am pretty
sure that it was Take The Time).  He also screw up the lyric on
Surrounded during the melow part towards the end.  He lets the
audience sing a few line and screws up.
James: I know it's easier, to walk away than to look it in the eye
Audience: I have given all that I can take,...
Then James starts singing one thing while the audience sings another,
and James says that "They fucked me up"  He seemed to take all of this
casually.  
Just thought that I'd mention it.  :)
-- 
************************************************************************
* I was told there's a miricle for each day that I try                 *
* I was told there's a new love that's born for each one that has died *
* I was told there'd be no one to call on when I feel alone and afraid *
* I was told if you dream of the next world                            *
* You'll find yourself swimming in a lake of fire                      *
*	Dream Theater	Metropolis (part 1)	Images and Words       *
*	Michael Burstin			     Brandeis University       *
************************************************************************
*  Let's Go Pens   Let's Go Pens	 Lets Go Pens	 Let's Go Pens *
************************************************************************
For info on Dream Theater, some Steven Write jokes, the master list of
pickup lines, and a revised history of the world, start screen capture
and finger me at email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1993 18:27:19 -0500 (EST)
From: Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>
Subject: WDADU (& others) from internet

Hi there.  I saw that there are still some of you who can't find
WDADU.  As someone out there mentioned before, there is a company that
has an internet connection to order CDs.  They do have a great
selection.  I have never ordered from them, but others seem to
indicate that they are reliable.  Anyway, here is a copy of the
origional post about them and directions on how to access.

Anyway, what you can do from a UNIX system (sorry, I don't know about 
others) is type telnet holonet.net, and log in as cdc (compact disc connection).
Then, follow the prompts to enter the compact disc database, then search for 
Dream Theater.  When I tried it, I got this:

!ATL92148  +DREAM THEATER               IMAGES & WORDS               7.7/3 **
 $13.22     ATLANTIC  7/92  

 PHA19832   DREAM THEATER               LIVE AT THE MARQUEE
 $24.38     PHANTOM (IMPORT)  9/93  

 ALE3776    DREAM THEATER               LIVE AT THE MARQUEE
 $15.72     ALEX  9/93  

 ALE3599    DREAM THEATER               WHEN DREAM & DAY UNITE
 $13.30     ALEX  7/93  

 PHA11262   DREAM THEATER               WHEN DREAM...
 $17.61     PHANTOM (IMPORT)  10/93  

 iMi11331   DREAM THEATER               WHEN DREAMS & DAY UNI          7/1
 $19.59     IM (IMPORT)  7/93  

	To order, follow the instructions they give you, it's pretty simple...
(BTW, the number 7.7 following _I & W_ is the rating given by some reviewing 
society...  Don't know why it isn't a 10...).

	DISCLAIMER:  I have never ordered from this group, and I am not 
affiliated with them in any way.  Don't blame me if you get ripped off...
Not that I'm saying you will...

-- 
************************************************************************
* I was told there's a miricle for each day that I try                 *
* I was told there's a new love that's born for each one that has died *
* I was told there'd be no one to call on when I feel alone and afraid *
* I was told if you dream of the next world                            *
* You'll find yourself swimming in a lake of fire                      *
*	Dream Theater	Metropolis (part 1)	Images and Words       *
*	Michael Burstin			     Brandeis University       *
************************************************************************
*  Let's Go Pens   Let's Go Pens	 Lets Go Pens	 Let's Go Pens *
************************************************************************
	email_address_removed
(for more info on Dream Theater, a list of Steven Wright jokes, and the
the master list of pickup lines, start your screen capture and finger me)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1993 19:48:47 -0500
From: Martin A Hennemann <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re:  CDs Wanted

  Ok, I'll post this ONCE more guys :)
  If you want WDADU or LatM, or any other CD, do the following :
telnet holonet.net
login as cdc

  This gets you into the Compact Disc Connection.  From here you can order
any CD you can think of.  Enjoy!
  Chris

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1993 21:43:38 -0500 (EST)
From: William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Symbol

Have imagination and ye shall find yer "R"

Bill Bajzek--------------------------------------------------------------
email_address_removed------------------------------------------------------
email_address_removed--------------------------------------------------------
email_address_removed-------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 93 14:56:04 MST
From: Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Dominici

> > 	Well, who said it? I just want to be accurate when I note it in
> > the FAQL...
> > Mike
> 
> Quoting myself just above:
> 
> > > We know because the band has *said* they dumped him.  According to Mike
> 							  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 
> This would be Mike Portnoy.  This has been quoted in a couple interviews,
> and he said this to me personally as well.

	Thanks. Randy Haskin mailed me the interview, I just wanted to be
accurate, thanks...
Mike/email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 10 Dec 93 23:14 EST
From: "David Anthony Barro, 'The Lost Sheep'" <email_address_removed>
Subject: The DT "symbol"

I've looked at it hundreds of times and have come to the conclusion that
there's no way that that symbol is comprised of either "MAJESTY" OR
"DREAM THEATER".  The symbol would need to be a lot more complex, and it's
really not.  Actually, it looks like the union of various capital letters
in the Ancient Greek alphabet.  I know capital Mega is definitely in there.
Would you believe it (My ol' prof better not be reading this...), I've
taken Ancient Greek as a language and I even forget half of the capitals?!?!
?!?!?!  I'll have to take another look at my alphabet set, because the
larger portion of caps are never used except in Personal names... :)

Later,

David

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1993 20:37:04 -0500 (EST)
From: William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Compact Disc Connection

I got my wdadu from there for $13, and its exactly the same as my
brothers copy. I think the only difference is where its coming from

Bill Bajzek--------------------------------------------------------------
email_address_removed------------------------------------------------------
email_address_removed--------------------------------------------------------
email_address_removed-------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1993 01:46:26 -0500 (EST)
From: WE WERE JUST HAVING FUN <email_address_removed>
Subject: Just born

Hey my name is Steve Wisinski and I just found out about this list yesterday
so I signed up.  I have DT's "Images and Words" and it is one of my most 
favorite disks.  Anyways, other than that I really don't know much about 
them.  So if anyone on this list could clue me in on what the latest topic
of discussion is, where I could get more of Dream Theater's music (bootleg
and/or older stuff) or what not I would really appreciate it.  
					Thanks in advance
						steve
					email_address_removed
Give me the power to take breath from a breeze.
And the life from a cold leaded frame.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1993 03:10:50 -0500
From: Martin A Hennemann <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Dream Theater FAQ is almost here!

  "He" was Kevin Moore.  Not sure which magazine it was, but when I get home, 
I'll ask to read the article, and I'll let you guys know more.
     Chris

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 93 01:12:31 +45722724
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Re: The DT "symbol" 

What it looks most like to me is the letters "IMWO" superimposed.  Sure, go
ahead and say "But it's on WDADU, not just on IMages and WOrds!"  But they
could have had the idea for "Images & Words" as a name, made the symbol and
just used it before there was an album called that?  Why can't the phrase
"Images & Words" predate the album?

     ~Chris

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1993 18:08:54 -0500
From: Martin A Hennemann <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re:  Compact Disc Connection

  Yeah, I emailed them asking the same question, on why one version was more
expensive then the others, and the guy called me (LD to NY from CA! :) to
explain it to me.  He said the only differences that he knows of are just
from where they're imported from.  Some charge more then others.  Plus, I
know he said that they're having a sale on Alex and Phantom, so that's another
reason one might be  cheaper.  But the bottom line is, he told me "Buy the
cheapest one." :)
  Chris

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1993 02:29:15 -0800 (PST)
From: "Paul W. Cashman" <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: reoccuring themes

> I was just listening to DT (what else) and can't believe that I have
> not thought of this before.  There are some reoccuring themes
> throughout I&W.  The one thatI just thought of right now is seeing and
> blindness.  
> 
> Surrounded:  I once could see, but now at last I'm blind
> Take The Time: I can see much clearer now, I'm blind
> 
> Anyone else pick up on any of these and think about them.  Also any
> others that you know of...???

Yea.  Ever notice there's an awful LOT of water in I&W?   :)

> (BTW, I finally got my promo CD.  Notice it is an American promo from
> a UK CD and they even say it.  I now have the full LaTM (Japan +
> Surrounded :)!!! )

Grr.  I foolishly saved money and got the German version, so I still
need "Another Day."   :)

-- 
Paul W. Cashman          | Before the leaves have fallen
email_address_removed           | Before we lock the doors
Dream Theater  ------->  | There must be the third and last dance
"Metropolis Pt 1"        | ...This one will last forever...

------------------------------
End of Digest
************************