Subject: YTSEJAM digest 258
From: email_address_removed
To: Multiple recipients of list <email_address_removed>

Contents:
Re: YTSEJAM digest 256 (email_address_removed)
Interesting Things (email_address_removed.AC.UK)
Misc $#!+ (Corporate Community Relations <email_address_removed>)
Re: YTSEJAM digest 256 (email_address_removed (Branden 'Crash' Robinson))
Kings X vs DT (Mike Hutchinson <email_address_removed>)
James Live, Saga, PROMO CD!!, and Song Recaps (The Reverend <email_address_removed>)
Gibraltar maling list? (email_address_removed (Mike Corso))
Re: re:YTSEJAM digest 254 (email_address_removed (DAVID RE))
Re: re:YTSEJAM digest 254 (email_address_removed (DAVID RE))
Re: YTSEJAM digest 256 (Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>)
Re: YTSEJAM digest 256 (email_address_removed (DAVID RE))
Re: YTSEJAM digest 254 (email_address_removed (DAVID RE))
DT CD (F5JTL...WX3W <email_address_removed>)
Re: Interesting Things (Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>)
Re: King's X (Jourdan <email_address_removed>)
Re: King'sX (Jourdan <email_address_removed>)
DT's religious overtones (email_address_removed (Kelly Johnson))
Gibraltar (email_address_removed)
Re: Interesting Things (William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>)
Re: YTSEJAM digest 256 (William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>)
Re: Kings X vs DT (William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>)
Re: James Live, Saga, PROMO CD!!, and Song Recaps (William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>)
Saga ("Michael E. Patrick" <email_address_removed>)
DT single cd!!! (hartman larry <email_address_removed>)
wdadu (A Lerxst in Wonderland <email_address_removed>)
James Labrie...hmmmph!!! (A Lerxst in Wonderland <email_address_removed>)
Re: wdadu (Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Dec 93 03:23:53 EST
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Re: YTSEJAM digest 256

Interesting that you point out King's X to be a Christian band.  I have been
wondering about Christian or religios elements prevelant in Dream Theater's
music.  Look at Only a Matter of Time, Afterlife, etc....  One might argue
"there are no answers from heaven above" in Take the Time, but that suggests
to me that you can't look to above to answers to everyday questions, but to
yourself.  It doesn't suggest to me that they are saying that there is no
heaven....

Also in Status Seeker somewhere, and Surrounded, and a couple of other songs
I have noticed a couple of relgious statements.  I know Charles wore a cross
and I believe Keven Moore does as well.  It doesn't bother me if they are
religous or aren't.  Do any of you pick up on this?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 DEC 93 12:14:30 GMT
From: email_address_removed.AC.UK
Subject: Interesting Things

Hi there!

Well here's an interesting little fact:

YTSEJAM is MAJESTY backwards.  Majesty were the original Dream Theater, 
with Chris Collins on vocals.

I went to the show at Bradford, and they were awesome!  I even met
Mike Portnoy and John Myeung after the show (I hung around till about 2am!)

Mike was REALLY friendly, and I was talking about his various influencesm,etc
and he said that the best drummer in his opinion was Neil Peart from Rush.
Anyway Igot a really good photo with him and myself with him holding his
bottle of Sol and with a big cheesy grin on his face!!! However, John was a
different story altogether, jeeez the guy is just so unfriendly, I had to 
really talk to him to get ANYTHING out of him at all!!!  Igot a photo
with him, and he didn't even smile!!  I fact he didn't evemn move when Ireversed
positions with my friend so he could get a shot with him!!

hmm.

Shaun Barry
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool
England, UK

P.S Steve Chew..... Igot your postal order yesterday, the tapes are on the way
now!

Saun

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 93 08:24:18 EST
From: Corporate Community Relations <email_address_removed>
Subject: Misc $#!+

Wlel, first off, lets see if this stupid message evens posts to the mailing
list -- lord know my last 5 or so have not for whatever reason?!?

Anywho, just wanted to touch base on a couple of things...  First, this
Geoff vs. James debate is SO sophomoric!!  GROW THE F*** UP, people!
Everyone has an opinion, learn to respects others, not try to convince them 
to think like yourself, ok??  Personally, I don't think singers or guitarists
are any better or worse than one another -- just different.  How can you 
compare things that are different?

Also, regarding the debate over James vs. Charlie Dominici ... yeah, Charlie's
voice is no where as strong as James, but *personally* (want to emphasize this
is my OWN personal opinion), I like Charlie's voice better.  Why?  He sings
more melodically, and I believe he has a better sense of rhythm in syncopated
sections.  Charlie also knows his limitations, vocally speaking, and doesn't
try and stray out of them.  To my ears, James is more of a "heavy metal" singer.
He sounds great in the studio, but live, he screams instead of sings far too
often for my PERSONAL tastes.

There you have it...my 0.02, for all it's not worth.  Y'all can state your
opinions (like above), but I'm not going to sit here and debate anyone on
such worthless BS like "who's better?"

ta ta...
Buck
--
William J. Buckley, Jr.     \       
email_address_removed   \         "Walter Bolliger is God!"
Digital Equipment Corporation   \

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 93 8:42:05 EST
From: email_address_removed (Branden 'Crash' Robinson)
Subject: Re: YTSEJAM digest 256

> From: email_address_removed
> 
> Can someone compare King's X and Dream Theater for me?  I like Queensryche,
> Rush, Fates' Warning, and Extreme.  Would it follow that I like King's X? 
> Can someone describe them a bit for me (I hope this is relevent to the DT
> forum since they are supposively similar to DT).

King's X are a *very* different band from any of those you mention.  They
have quite a distinctive sound, actually.  Some people like 'em, and some
people hate 'em, but they're one of my favorites...

I also happen to like the bands you mentioned (except for Extreme), so
check out King's X...you might like them as well.

Steve Mansfield writes:
> Here I have to seriously disagree.  The Killing Hand is the only song on
> WDADU where I like his singing at all, and having heard James sing it
> several times live, I have to say I like James' rendition *much* better.
> 
> > James' annoying screaming just ruins this song for me on LatM.  Does anyone
> > else share this opinion, or am I alone on the Net?  Most of my friends here
> > think he is rather weak also...
> 
> While I doubt you're alone, you're also probably in the minority.  Shit
> happens.  8-)

I'm not so sure he is.  I've been reading the digest since issue #191, and
the general consensus is that James screams too much on this song, at least
on LatM.  But perhaps he's revised his performance of it.  When I saw them
in Tulsa this summer, they only played "A Fortune in Lies" from WDADU, so I
can't be sure, personally.

> From: email_address_removed (Steve Mansfield)
> 
> > Can someone compare King's X and Dream Theater for me?  I like Queensryche,
> > Rush, Fates' Warning, and Extreme.  Would it follow that I like King's X? 
> > Can someone describe them a bit for me (I hope this is relevent to the DT
> > forum since they are supposively similar to DT).
> 
> Hmmm.  Well, they're kind of Beatles-like.  Lots of harmonics in the
> vocals.  Not as heavy really.  I love them, personally.  I'd give them a
> listen.  They don't sound anything like DT.

I'm not so sure about "not as heavy"...certainly they don't have anything
"thrashy" like parts of PMU and "Fortune," but since Ty Tabor often uses a
drop-D tuning and runs through those old tube amps, it's hard for me to
describe his sound as anything BUT heavy (at least on the non-acoustic
songs).  "In the New Age," "Out of the Silent Planet," (the song) "Fine Art
of Friendship," "Talk to You," "The World
Around Me," "Ooh Song" and the middle part of "Pleadies" are all pretty heavy in my regard.  (Just to
name a few  :) )

> From: Martin A Hennemann <email_address_removed>
> 
>   Well, I was told King's X was supposed to be good, and similiar to DT.
> So I bought Gretchen goes to Nebraska.  And I personally think it sucks.
> However, in their defense, I talked to some people, and they said that their
> older stuff is better (Nebraska was done in 89) So I dunno.  But from the
> 1 I heard, I didn't like it.

Well, they only HAVE one album before _Gretchen_, and that's _Out of the
Silent Planet_.  But how you can't like _Gretchen_ is beyond me.  I guess
I'm just biased.  :)

> sing as high any more. I guess that's to be expected. However, I think that
> Bruce Dickinson, formerly of Iron Maiden, is a much better singer, not only
> from the stand point of pitch, control, tone, and power, but also as a 
> front man (crowd interaction, putting on a show, etc).

I love Iron Maiden (I've been a fan of them for almost 9 years), but I
hesitate to desribe Bruce as better than Tate or LaBrie.  Bruce's voice was
always pretty gruff; sometimes that worked to his advantage, sometimes not.

I agree that he did more with the crowd than LaBrie (unfortunately, I've
never seen Queensryche live, except for their video)...but I always wished
he'd hold that microphone in the OTHER hand for a while.  :)

*********************** email_address_removed ************************
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   "Beneath a summer sky, under glass moonlight,
    Night awaits the lamb's arrival...
    Liquid shadows crawl, silver teardrops fall,
    The bride subsides to her survival...
    By your hand, I've awakened...
    Bear this honor in my name."
				-- Dream Theater, "Under a Glass Moon"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  3 Dec 1993 08:52:55 -0500
From: Mike Hutchinson <email_address_removed>
Subject: Kings X vs DT

> Can someone compare King's X and Dream Theater for me?  I like Queensryche,
> Rush, Fates' Warning, and Extreme.  Would it follow that I like King's X? 
> Can someone describe them a bit for me (I hope this is relevent to the DT
> forum since they are supposively similar to DT).

As someone said earlier, the two bands sound nothing alike.
Kings X has Beatles-ish three part vocal harmonies and occasionally
ventures into unusual time sigs.  Their bass player, Doug Pinnick, is
pretty damn good (although buried in the mix on studio albums) and their
guitarist, Ty Tabor, has an unmistakable tone.  (It's a very growly sound
produced by effects, you'd have to hear it)  Pick up their latest release,
Kings X (they waited till their 4th album to make a self titled disc).
It's their heaviest and (imho) most satisfying work to date.  Some of the
stuff on Faith Hope Love is good too but many of the cuts tend to drag on
for too long.  Oh yeah, btw, I think the name Kings X is a Christian
reference, the band uses religious images in some songs (the way U2 used to
when they were starting out).

Compared to DT, Kings X's music is not nearly as chops oriented, although
the guitarist is excellent and his solos are interesting (definitely not
conventional).  The rhythm section is solid but keeps things basic (no
double kick, more stripped-down sounding beats -- the drummer's gotta sing
too).  Their vocal harmonies are outstanding.  You might like them but not
for the same reasons you like DT.

-- Mike
   (a Kings X fan)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1993 09:39:52 -0600 (CST)
From: The Reverend <email_address_removed>
Subject: James Live, Saga, PROMO CD!!, and Song Recaps

1) I like James in the studio, but when I saw him on tour.... :-b  He tended to
screech WAY too much.  Ive heard, however, that they fixed the mix later in the
tour.  :)

2) Saga USED to be good.  Anything past "throwing shapes" is pop-rock.  Decent
pop-rock, but still pop-rock.  Try their old stuff (and look through the 
Gibraltar guide... it gives quite a lot of info on them).

3) I GOT THE PROMO CD!!!!!
I got it in yesterday, and waited to see if anyone had posted about it.  (I'm 
on the digest)  Well, it has Surrounded and Pull Me Under, both from Live At 
The Marquee (that's what it says).  Surrounded is 6 minutes, and Pull Me Under
is 8:30.  They have James introducing each song (which is probably the same 
as on LATM).  The cover of it is a black and white photo of the Heart on Fire,
with "for promotional use only- not for sale" on the bottom.  Also has a note
from the band, thanking everyone.  I'll post it if anyone wants it (lemme know)

4) Song Recap:
Metropolis: about 2 twins  (fill it in, please!)
Pull Me Under: Hamlet
Learning to Live: learning how to live life to the fullest (also about AIDS)
Wait For Sleep: About a friend of (WHO?) who was involved in a cult.

how about we compile a list of what all the songs are about?

Rev
---
The Reverend "They called me the Reverend when I entered the church unstained"
 Fear the Information Revolution...for it has reached the hands of the strange.
               PGP 2.2 Public Key Block available upon request

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Dec 93 10:53:48 EST
From: email_address_removed (Mike Corso)
Subject: Gibraltar maling list?

Sorry to bother everyone but I've been trying to subscribe to the 
"Gibraltar" mailing list but my message never gets through 
(email_address_removed).  I got this address from 
email_address_removed (Musical list of lists).  Has anyone else subscribed?
Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1993 11:33:53 -0500 (EST)
From: email_address_removed (DAVID RE)
Subject: Re: re:YTSEJAM digest 254

> Hmmm.  Well, they're kind of Beatles-like.  Lots of harmonics in the
> vocals.  Not as heavy really.  I love them, personally.  I'd give them a
> listen.  They don't sound anything like DT.

     Not as heavy??? Bah :) "World Around Me" is pretty darn heavy, especially
live, when I was standing in front of Doug Pinnick (the bass player) with
his massive Ampeg rig going full tilt (before he blew it up that night :). 
Talk about low end :)

      Just to add to this, imagine a creative band that has tendencies to 
play everything from cute Beatle-esque, but slightly more demented, stuff, to
fairly heavy rock out stuff, that incorporates lots of 3-part harmonies (all
three members sing), and has some pretty killer tunes (from a songwriting
point of view :)

     Definately a band to listen to :)

-- 
Dave Re                   |"I am your master, when you're all alone.
OIT/TS/ISD                | You can come to me child, when you're without home.
email_address_removed  | I will share your pain, of long lost dignity.
                          | Happiness evades you, you'll get no sympathy."
                          |       "Father of the Night", Crowdad
  "Huh huh. You want cash, or should we go spank the monkey again? Huh Huh."
     "Beating heads on the Early Warning soul train..........." 
     "Huh huh. He's fallen, and he can't get it up. Huh huh..."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1993 11:37:20 -0500 (EST)
From: email_address_removed (DAVID RE)
Subject: Re: re:YTSEJAM digest 254

>   Well, I was told King's X was supposed to be good, and similiar to DT.
> So I bought Gretchen goes to Nebraska.  And I personally think it sucks.

     How dare you!! :) Whoever said that King's X was similar to DT is way
off the mark. King's X aren't wild progressive/art metal like DT is. I think we
figured this out already....

> However, in their defense, I talked to some people, and they said that their
> older stuff is better (Nebraska was done in 89) So I dunno.  But from the
> 1 I heard, I didn't like it.

     Huh?? I like the newer stuff better. Do you like heavier music, or 
what?? Faith Hope Love, which is their third album (right after Gretchen)
is pretty cool, but fairly mellow. It's got som e great tunes on it. However,
if you want full tilt, get the self-titled album. It rocks pretty well. The
production is a lot better than Gretchen, too.

-- 
Dave Re                   |"I am your master, when you're all alone.
OIT/TS/ISD                | You can come to me child, when you're without home.
email_address_removed  | I will share your pain, of long lost dignity.
                          | Happiness evades you, you'll get no sympathy."
                          |       "Father of the Night", Crowdad
  "Huh huh. You want cash, or should we go spank the monkey again? Huh Huh."
     "Beating heads on the Early Warning soul train..........." 
     "Huh huh. He's fallen, and he can't get it up. Huh huh..."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 93 11:37:35 MST
From: Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: YTSEJAM digest 256

> Also in Status Seeker somewhere, and Surrounded, and a couple of other songs
> I have noticed a couple of relgious statements.  I know Charles wore a cross
> and I believe Keven Moore does as well.  It doesn't bother me if they are
> religous or aren't.  Do any of you pick up on this?
> 

	I too am curious and I picked up on this. The spoiler is the Pull
Me Under video where a guy crucifies himself. This could be meant as a
slap in the face of Christianity or it could be a reinforcement of same.
On the plus side, their shirts, the LATM and LIT covers, and part of the
IAW cover all feature the Sacred Heart of Jesus...in flames, and I have
seen it that way in religious icons. 

	I'm not some Bible thumper, just a guy going to college like most
of you and I do still follow my religion when I get a chance... and a lot
of what Dream Theater says is in NO CONFLICT with that... hehe "Find all
you need inyour mind if you take the time" whoa real satanic there. :)

Mike/email_address_removed
- + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -
Mike/email_address_removed/Snow Dog of Prismatic Force Designs/sydest.com
### # # ### #    "Through nature's inflexible grace, I'm learning to live..."
#   # # #   #              - Dream Theater
#   # # ### ###  "Art as expression, not as market campaigns..."
#   # #   # # #            - Rush
#   ### ### # #  "Censorship is fucking unAmerican." 
- + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1993 13:45:15 -0500 (EST)
From: email_address_removed (DAVID RE)
Subject: Re: YTSEJAM digest 256

     Don't mean to turn this into a King's X fest, but.....

> 	To the person who asks what King's X sounds like... the sound
> great! They sound much more like Extreme than DT. They are fairly

     Extreme??? Blasphemy :) To me (just my opinion, here) Extreme is kinda
funky and "happy" whereas King's X is a bit more straightforward, and 
"serious", if you will. If I had to name a band that they sounded like, kinda,
well, have you heard Tool??? Take Tool, and make it less pissed off, and then
add backing vocals ala Galactic Cowboys (who we all know from the last DT
tour). In actuality, GC are good friends with King's X and the shared 
management for a while. They're both heavily vocally oriented bands.....

> people on the Rush fans list and am not dissapointed. They are a Christian
> band, but there is little reference to religious themes on most of their
> songs.

     I guess it depends on how much you read into the lyrics. They're very
subtle about their messages. I like that. :) I'm not extremely religious
myself, and I also dislike having things shoved down my throat (like, Stryper).
I like to be able to savor a bands lyrics, and maybe find a couple or so
different meanings to the tunes, and King's X lends themselves real well to
that :)

-- 
Dave Re                   |"I am your master, when you're all alone.
OIT/TS/ISD                | You can come to me child, when you're without home.
email_address_removed  | I will share your pain, of long lost dignity.
                          | Happiness evades you, you'll get no sympathy."
                          |       "Father of the Night", Crowdad
  "Huh huh. You want cash, or should we go spank the monkey again? Huh Huh."
     "Beating heads on the Early Warning soul train..........." 
     "Huh huh. He's fallen, and he can't get it up. Huh huh..."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1993 13:50:56 -0500 (EST)
From: email_address_removed (DAVID RE)
Subject: Re: YTSEJAM digest 254

> If it is it's poorply written (Myung lyrics.). It seems to me to be al

     Actually, I strongly disagree with you here. I think the song is
quite well written. Hell, it was well written enough to cause at least two
different opinions on what it means, so.....

> song about dealing with violence and discrimination. I dont have the
> lyrics with me (My cd is used and the booklet's ready to fall apart, so
> I never look at it). Maybe it's meant to have several meanings.

     The song *does* deal with violence and discrimination, but as a part of
a larger thing....

     [some quotations from the song deleted]

     Everything that you said applies to song, but only on the surface level.
It's all part of this guy learning to live with this disease he's got. He's
looking at the world in a much less innocent and naive way, and, to me, it
frightens him, not only cause he could die, but because he realizes how 
harsh the world is, once it's turned upon him.....

-- 
Dave Re                   |"I am your master, when you're all alone.
OIT/TS/ISD                | You can come to me child, when you're without home.
email_address_removed  | I will share your pain, of long lost dignity.
                          | Happiness evades you, you'll get no sympathy."
                          |       "Father of the Night", Crowdad
  "Huh huh. You want cash, or should we go spank the monkey again? Huh Huh."
     "Beating heads on the Early Warning soul train..........." 
     "Huh huh. He's fallen, and he can't get it up. Huh huh..."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1993 11:54:25 -0700 (MST)
From: F5JTL...WX3W <email_address_removed>
Subject: DT CD

I got mine (I'm talking about the promotional CD that was given away on
the list 3 weeks ago) in the mail yesterday. Thanks to whom it may concern...

Laurent E-:-)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 93 13:21:31 MST
From: Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Interesting Things

> Mike Portnoy and John Myeung after the show (I hung around till about 2am!)
> 
> Mike was REALLY friendly, and I was talking about his various influencesm,etc
> and he said that the best drummer in his opinion was Neil Peart from Rush.
> Anyway Igot a really good photo with him and myself with him holding his

	Well Mike knows his stuff! Peart rules... easily the best drummer alive.

> bottle of Sol and with a big cheesy grin on his face!!! However, John was a
> different story altogether, jeeez the guy is just so unfriendly, I had to 
> really talk to him to get ANYTHING out of him at all!!!  Igot a photo

	I thought that if anything... DT as a whole is hard to get to
meet.. but you may have provn me wrong... after the show in Tempe, I got
to chat with Galactic Cowboys and they were too cool... but DT just
left... oh well

Mike/email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1993 15:37:25 -0600
From: Jourdan <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: King's X

        In response to the question comparing King's X and DT, they really don't
sound too much alike.  I bought my first King's X album long before buying any
DT (or Queensryche) and never really liked it too much.  Later, after becoming
an avid DT fan, I heard a lot of people praising King's X. I gave them another
listen, but I don't like them anywhere near as much as DT.  Their vocalist
has a very distinct voice, which takes some getting used to.  In a nutshell,
If you can borrow before you buy, that would be a good idea.
        Also, King's X has four albums (with a fifth rumored to be released
early 1994).  They are: Out of the Silent Planet ('88), Gretchen Goes to
Nebraska ('89), Faith, Hope, Love ('90), King's X ('91?).  Although I don't
have the self-titled album, most people that I've heard consider the the first
two to be the better ones.  I agree for the most part.
                                Pete
Peter Jourdan                                  Where would you rather be?
email_address_removed                              Anywhere but here
email_address_removed                            -Rush, Double Agent

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1993 15:50:49 -0600
From: Jourdan <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: King'sX

        In response to the question comparing King's X and DT, they really don't
sound too much alike.  I bought my first King's X album long before buying any
DT (or Queensryche) and never really liked it too much.  Later, after becoming
an avid DT fan, I heard a lot of people praising King's X. I gave them another
listen, but I don't like them anywhere near as much as DT.  Their vocalist
has a very distinct voice, which takes some getting used to.  In a nutshell,
If you can borrow before you buy, that would be a good idea.
        Also, King's X has four albums (with a fifth rumored to be released
early 1994).  They are: Out of the Silent Planet ('88), Gretchen Goes to
Nebraska ('89), Faith, Hope, Love ('90), King's X ('91?).  Although I don't
have the self-titled album, most people that I've heard consider the the first
two to be the better ones.  I agree for the most part.
                                Pete

Peter Jourdan                                  Where would you rather be?
email_address_removed                              Anywhere but here
email_address_removed                            -Rush, Double Agent

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 93 14:03:31 PST
From: email_address_removed (Kelly Johnson)
Subject: DT's religious overtones

>From: email_address_removed
>
>Interesting that you point out King's X to be a Christian band.  I have been
>wondering about Christian or religios elements prevelant in Dream Theater's
>music.  Look at Only a Matter of Time, Afterlife, etc....  One might argue
>"there are no answers from heaven above" in Take the Time, but that suggests
>to me that you can't look to above to answers to everyday questions, but to
>yourself.  It doesn't suggest to me that they are saying that there is no
>heaven....

There are DEFINITELY religious overtones in both bands.  I think King's
X prefers to be called a BAND with Christian members as opposed to
a Christian band (the same goes for the Galactic Cowboys)
so they aren't confused with their "cheesy" Contemporary Christian band
counterparts that cater primarily to a Christian audience.

"Religious Themes" have been used in a number of progressive bands over
the years.  The most obvious use is by early Genesis, especially in
songs like Supper's Ready which paraphrases many parts of the
Biblical book of revelation.  Don't get all this confused with band
members being Christian.  Wearing a cross doesn't mean much.  Many
"Christians" wear one, but you wouldn't know they were Christian by
their lifestyle.  Many supposedly atheist and agnostic musicians have
worn them over the years as well and most of them will not even
claim to be Christian or religious.  Other cross-wearers will admit 
that they are openly opposed to "organized religion" or are Satanists.

As far as DT goes, as a Christian myself, I see them as being very
"New Age".  Yes, they have religious overtones and they create
religious imagery, but it is influenced by New Age philosophy (much like
that of the well known Shirley McLain).  If you were to ask them, they
would probably say they are in touch with their "spiritual side", but I
doubt that they would claim to be followers of any particular
religious belief system.  I could be wrong about this though.
The "New Age" theme is VERY BIG these days and is gaining converts
rapidly.  It is embraced by a large portion of the entertainment 
field, both in Hollywood and in the music world.  The philosophy
is the underlying philosophy that is beginning to take over the
decision making process of our government as well.  It has a
particularly appealing "positive message" that causes idealistically
inclined people (like many musicians, actors, actresses, directors
producers, and most college students) to support it.
Their lyrics are questionable as far as Christianity/Judaism goes.

There are lots of Christians out there that are just DYING to see
bands with DT's musical style (or King's X or Marillion or Genesis), 
but with truly Christian messages.  These Christians unfortunately
grab hold of the first thing that comes even close.  In the case of
DT I think they need to study the lyrics a bit more to really see
what the underlying philosophy there is.  As far as King's X, I HEAR
that they are more on the mark, but I don't know much about them.

Personally, I like the lyrics (AND MUSIC, OF COURSE) of DT.  They show
an ability to really understand the world around them more than MANY of
the "cheesy" Contemporary Christian bands.  I think DT ROCKS and
I like what they have to say, but I definitely run the lyrics through
a filter prior to ingesting them!!

Kelly Johnson

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1993 16:19:11 -0500 (EST)
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Gibraltar

Hi, what's this Gibraltar list people are talking about, and what's the 
address?

				Thanks,

				Aaron
				ASILVERM@UMIAMI

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  3 Dec 1993 20:22:48 -0500 (EST)
From: William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Interesting Things

Excerpts from mail: 3-Dec-93 Interesting Things by email_address_removed- 
> However, John was a
> different story altogether, jeeez the guy is just so unfriendly, I had to 
> really talk to him to get ANYTHING out of him at all!!!  Igot a photo

Myung or Petrucci?

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  3 Dec 1993 20:30:06 -0500 (EST)
From: William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: YTSEJAM digest 256

Excerpts from mail: 3-Dec-93 Re: YTSEJAM digest 256 by email_address_removed 
> I have noticed a couple of relgious statements.  I know Charles wore a cross
> and I believe Keven Moore does as well.  It doesn't bother me if they are

Listen to the second "verse" (where the sampled guy talks) in Eve.
Something about "guide us out to our lord Jesus, guide us out"

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  3 Dec 1993 20:32:42 -0500 (EST)
From: William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Kings X vs DT

Excerpts from mail: 3-Dec-93 Kings X vs DT by Mike Hutchinson@software 
>  The rhythm section is solid but keeps things basic (no
> double kick,

NO DOUBLE KICK? I cant remember what its called, but there's a song on
"faith hope love" (I believe it was an instrumental) had some INCREDIBLY
fast bass drumming! Are you sure there's no double kick?

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  3 Dec 1993 20:35:27 -0500 (EST)
From: William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: James Live, Saga, PROMO CD!!, and Song Recaps

Excerpts from mail: 3-Dec-93 James Live, Saga, PROMO CD!.. by The
email_address_removed 
> Wait For Sleep: About a friend of (WHO?) who was involved in a cult.

I heard its about kevin moore's friend's sister dying, and he was trying
to comfort whoever it was. I dont hear anything about cults in it

------------------------------

Date: 03 Dec 93 20:55:13 EST
From: "Michael E. Patrick" <email_address_removed>
Subject: Saga

Just my two cents on Saga.  IMHO, they were VERY underrated and largely 
unappreciated (along with the Fixx).  I agree, Worlds Apart is their best - 
there is a lot of very intricate interplay between the guitar and keyboards 
(like DT).  Also, the production on WA and Head or Tails was done by Rupert 
Hine - the one and only master.

Ian Chrichton the guitarist is brilliant (lots of fast staccato lines like 
Petrucci's in Bombay Vindaloo) and the singer Michael Sadler has a great 
voice - no screaming, lots of midrange.  Great band.

However said they don't like the Livecrime video, I'm with you.  That slow 
motion shit really gets on my nerves.  Isham apparently did his best work 
for Bon Jovi (yuck).  Also, say what you want about James, Geoff's 
performance on the Empire tour during Mindcrime was amazing.

Mike

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1993 23:04:45 -0500 (EST)
From: hartman larry <email_address_removed>
Subject: DT single cd!!!

I can't believe it!  I thought that it was all a big joke but today in the 
mail I got that Live Dream Theater promo CD!  It has Pull me under and 
Surrounded from LatM.!

Thank you very much for whoever sent it out, I forgot your name!

I just read the latest discography in the last digest and I was wondering
if anyone really knows what Eve is.  One part said that it was the begging
of Take the Time and one said it was the opening of Pull Me Under.

What is the deal?

Thanks!

Jason Hartman

"I am the Killing Hand!"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1993 23:52:58 -0600 (CST)
From: A Lerxst in Wonderland <email_address_removed>
Subject: wdadu

hmmmm saw the discography...

Why wasn't the American release of wdadu included?  I know for a fact it was
released here as a normal release.  I bought it on cassette in '89 when it 
was first released, and on cd soon after.  I even bought a second copy of
wdadu on disc for like $1.88 (no typo there!!!) at Camelot in the mall..That
must have been right after the label and the band parted ways.  
	Anyway, the wdadu was released on lp,ct,and cd in the U. S. on 
MCA/Mechanic records.  I have the number of the disc out in my car.  Also,
supposedly there are some promo tapes or cds from wdadu for afterlife and
status seeker, I know some of you have this info, and I would like to see it
on the disco too, so I would know the promo # and so forth, there are some 
guys at shows around here that special order promos if you have the promo#.
(Who knows where the hell they get the things?  Combing pawn shops?) 
	Another thing:  who was it that supposedly talked to John Myung about
the meaning of LtL?  What was the exact thing he said about it?  If indeed it
was written about the struggle against AIDS, it is a pretty weak composition, 
in that it does not convey this idea very strongly.  I prefer to think that
when he wrote it, he was leaving the song as open for interpretation in any 
way that the listener might relate to.  If this was his purpose, then the 
lyrics are very well thought out, with many ambiguous references so that the
listener (or critic as we now seem to be becoming) can interpret it as he 
wants.  I hope that whoever it was that spoke to Mr. Myung did not take what
he said out of context.  Maybe he was saying that it could be about AIDS if
you interpreted it that way.  Oh well, I am sorry.  I am just trying to 
defend Myung and his writing.  I just think it would be a much better lyric
if he had not meant it to be about  the one thing, so we should just believe
that was his intention.  
	I for one think John Petrucci and Kevin Moore's writing (lyrically
speaking) are perfect counterparts ( *wink* to all nms'ers).  With Moore's
spirituality and Petrucci's pseudo-sci-fi meets Dali inspired writings, I
would love to see them collaborate and create a big epic along the lines 
of Hemispheres (another *wink*).  Just think of it...Petrucci's endless
symbolism combined with all the faith of Kevin to create the epic to end
all epics...only to be trivialized and screeched live by James..doh!!!
Just had to get my opinion of ol' James in.  Geoff Tate would still be the
best if he would stop smoking dammit!! James is very talented, also, but I
think that he is not as serious a musician as the rest of the band.  
	oh well sorry for the ramblings and babblings.  shit happens when you
are hopelessly bored.

*******************************************************************************
* Brian V. Cox            *  "You and I long to live like wind upon the water *
* Texas A&M University    *   If we close our eyes, we'll maybe realize       *
* (409)822-6750     	  *   There's more to life than what we have known    *
* email_address_removed *   And I can't believe I spent so long             *
***************************   Living lies I knew were wrong inside            *
* "What you believe is    *   I've just begun to see the light..."            *
* What you are...Therefore*            -Queensryche "Anybody Listening?"      *
* I am nothing"  -Brian   *                                                   *
*******************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1993 00:06:11 -0600 (CST)
From: A Lerxst in Wonderland <email_address_removed>
Subject: James Labrie...hmmmph!!!

Another comment about James...

	Before the last show in Houston, the guys in DT were kind enough to
appear at a local sound warehouse to sign autographs.  (I am not sure, but it
might be the same time as the famous breast-signing on the  LIT vid, since 
right after it they commented on the sold-out Tower Theater show, which was
in Houston the same night)  Anyway, I had seen them the night before in Dallas,
and Mike Portnoy recognized me from the night before.  ( I was front row center
the night before, and had a galactic cowboys shirt on, so did Mike Portnoy) 
So, Mike had noticed me in the audience.  He was the first one signing auto-
graphs, and James was next to him.  

Mike: "I remember you...frontrow center last night in Dallas...right?"
Me:   "Yep..."
James:"What? Mike...you actually remember someone in the audience...I try to
	look at them as little as I have to" (said in snotty voice)

Anyway...From now on I will remember James Labrie as the asshole of the band.
He definitely did not enjoy dealing with the fans.  The other guys were very
patient and understanding..

Me:  "Your solo during the new song last night (To live forever)....Did you
	improvise that entire thing???"
John p: "Yes.  I am glad you enjoyed it."
Me (in awe): "awwwww!!"

The guys (except James) got a big kick out of the set list that i brought
for them to sign. They said "hee hee john this is back when we were doing
Moon Bubbles hahaha" It seemed to be some kind of inside joke with  them.

Anyway, my point is that James seemed to feel out of place with the rest of
the band, like he was still an outsider.  Maybe that is why he seems to 
overcompensate by screeching and being a general asshole sometimes.  Maybe as
he is in the band longer, the music will become more important to him than
the attitude, a lesson the rest of the band as well as other bands who have
survived a long, long time have learned.  

*******************************************************************************
* Brian V. Cox            *  "You and I long to live like wind upon the water *
* Texas A&M University    *   If we close our eyes, we'll maybe realize       *
* (409)822-6750     	  *   There's more to life than what we have known    *
* email_address_removed *   And I can't believe I spent so long             *
***************************   Living lies I knew were wrong inside            *
* "What you believe is    *   I've just begun to see the light..."            *
* What you are...Therefore*            -Queensryche "Anybody Listening?"      *
* I am nothing"  -Brian   *                                                   *
*******************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Dec 93 0:16:02 MST
From: Michael Bahr <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: wdadu

> 
> hmmmm saw the discography...
> 
> Why wasn't the American release of wdadu included?  I know for a fact it was
> released here as a normal release.  I bought it on cassette in '89 when it 
> was first released, and on cd soon after.  I even bought a second copy of
> wdadu on disc for like $1.88 (no typo there!!!) at Camelot in the mall..That
> must have been right after the label and the band parted ways.  
> 	Anyway, the wdadu was released on lp,ct,and cd in the U. S. on 
> MCA/Mechanic records.  I have the number of the disc out in my car.  Also,
> supposedly there are some promo tapes or cds from wdadu for afterlife and
> status seeker, I know some of you have this info, and I would like to see it
> on the disco too, so I would know the promo # and so forth, there are some 
> guys at shows around here that special order promos if you have the promo#.

	I knew nothing aboutit... please elaborate, and it will be
included in the discography. I usually upload a new revision to
ftp.uwp.edu every two weeks or so. You will also be given credit for it in
the discog itself... email me at email_address_removed, it's easier.:)

	The france/germany release of wdadu was on MCA/Mechanic also. It's
possible that the American version is either 1.out of print, 2. now being
made in germany/whatever, or 3.just rare.

> (Who knows where the hell they get the things?  Combing pawn shops?) 
> 	I for one think John Petrucci and Kevin Moore's writing (lyrically
> speaking) are perfect counterparts ( *wink* to all nms'ers).  With Moore's

	Rush rules!

- + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -
Mike/email_address_removed/Snow Dog of Prismatic Force Designs/sydest.com
### # # ### #    "Through nature's inflexible grace, I'm learning to live..."
#   # # #   #              - Dream Theater
#   # # ### ###  "Art as expression, not as market campaigns..."
#   # #   # # #            - Rush
#   ### ### # #  "Censorship is fucking unAmerican." 
- + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -

------------------------------
End of Digest
************************