Subject: YTSEJAM digest 256
From: email_address_removed
To: Multiple recipients of list <email_address_removed>

Contents:
?? on Majesty (Younis Youssef Hilal <email_address_removed>)
The Beyond (Steve Kaye <email_address_removed>)
Dominicci and a DT story (Just call me Goober!! <email_address_removed>)
Re:  re:YTSEJAM digest 254  (email_address_removed)
Re:YTSEJAM digest 254 (William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>)
SUBSCRIBE (I LOVE HAIRY MEN <email_address_removed>)
Re: Geoff vs James ([email-masked])
Re: The Beyond ([email-masked])
Re: Geoff vs James ("Paul W. Cashman" <email_address_removed>)
Re: Re:YTSEJAM digest 254 (email_address_removed)
Re: Geoff vs James (vs Charlie...) (Thomas Jansson <email_address_removed.se>)
Re: Geoff vs James (email_address_removed (Steve Mansfield))
Re: ?? on Majesty (email_address_removed (Steve Mansfield))
Re: re:YTSEJAM digest 254 (email_address_removed (Steve Mansfield))
Re: YTSEJAM digest 254 (email_address_removed (Steve Mansfield))
Geoff vs James -- James wins hands down (email_address_removed (Pat Daugherty))
Blitzkrieg (email_address_removed (Pat Daugherty))
Re:  re:YTSEJAM digest 254 (Martin A Hennemann <email_address_removed>)
Re:YTSEJAM digest 254 (Martin A Hennemann <email_address_removed>)
Re: Geoff vs James (email_address_removed (DAVID RE))
 DT Video in Germany? (Michael Stepping <email_address_removed.d400.de>)
Re: YTSEJAM digest 254 (email_address_removed (DAVID RE))

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1993 14:12:39 -0800 (PST)
From: Younis Youssef Hilal <email_address_removed>
Subject: ?? on Majesty

I have a couple of questions. I'm a relatively new DT fan, thanks to
Portnoy's genius on I&W, and I've just lined up the purchase of WDADU. 
Next up:  Majesty stuff.  All I've got from you guys through this
thingamajig is that Majesty material is hard to get hold of.  But I'm
guessing that DT has picked up quite a few more fans than it had in the
old days.  So I was wondering if anybody had heard anything about material
recorded under the name Majesty being reissued by DT's record company. 
There is at least one similar precedent for this (Metallica's "Kill 'Em
All," in case you're interested) that I know of.
The other question:  was Portnoy in Majesty?  (It's kind of important to
me that I know.)

Younis Hilal

**Sorry, no quotes, logos, or any of that cool shit down here.**

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1993 18:54:05 -0500 (EST)
From: Steve Kaye <email_address_removed>
Subject: The Beyond

I know some of you don't like to talk about other bands, but I just dubbed
the album _Crawl_, by the Beyond, and I think it's one of the best progressive
metal albums I've ever heard.  Does anyone know anything at all about this
band?  Do they have any other albums?  If anyone sees this album anywhere, 
BUY IT (and let me know, 'cause I can't find it!)

Steve
email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1993 18:16:06 -0500 (EST)
From: Just call me Goober!! <email_address_removed>
Subject: Dominicci and a DT story

From:	SMTP%"email_address_removed"  1-DEC-1993 16:15:43.61
To:	SCRIVANO_GAR
CC:	
Subj:	Undeliverable Mail

Date:     Wed, 1 Dec 1993 16:15:42 -0500 (EST)
From:     email_address_removed
Subject:  Undeliverable Mail
To:       <SCRIVANO_GAR>

Bad address -- <[email-masked]>
Error -- Nameserver error: Unknown host

Start of returned message

  Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1993 16:15:40 -0500 (EST)
  From: Just call me Goober!! <email_address_removed>
  To:   [email-masked]
  Message-Id: <email_address_removed>
  Subject: Dominicci and a DT story
  
  Does anyone on this list know what Dominicci has been doing since he left
  DT?  I was just wondering?  It's not like I really care because LaBrie is
  a much better singer!  I was just curious as to whether or not he'd try
  out for another band.  Now for the Story part!  One of my friends that
  lives in Kings Park, N.Y. has actually met John Petrucci and the bassist
  (I forgot his name, sorry!).  She used to hang out with John every once
  in a while and she's seen the bassist around before.  John and the bassist
  graduated from Kings Park High School where my friend, Cindy just graduated
  from this year.  When I visited Cindy this past summer, she told me this
  along with the fact that she knew where they both lived (seeing as she lives
  in Kings Park also)  Unfortunately I didn't have time to drive by either one
  of their houses but maybe next time I got to visit Cindy I'll take the time
  (no pun intended, haha!) to go take at look at their houses if possible.
  Just thought I'd share that bit of info with everyone.  I thought it was cool!
  later, Gary

End of returned message

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Dec 93 21:20:49 EST
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Re:  re:YTSEJAM digest 254 

Can someone compare King's X and Dream Theater for me?  I like Queensryche,
Rush, Fates' Warning, and Extreme.  Would it follow that I like King's X? 
Can someone describe them a bit for me (I hope this is relevent to the DT
forum since they are supposively similar to DT).

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  1 Dec 1993 22:55:42 -0500 (EST)
From: William T Bajzek <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:YTSEJAM digest 254

Excerpts from mail: 1-Dec-93 re:YTSEJAM digest 254  by "james @bnr.ca 
> "Waiting for Sleep" being about the death of relative of the girl in the song
> and "Learning to Live" being about somebody dying of AIDS.

    Where'd you get the idea that its about LTL being about somebody
dying of AIDS? It's obviously about "Learning to live". Reread the
lyrics.

Bill

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 1:08:05 -0500 (EST)
From: I LOVE HAIRY MEN <email_address_removed>
Subject: SUBSCRIBE

SUBSCRIBE email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Dec 93 23:15:05 PST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Geoff vs James

> 
> Jason Hartman wrote:
> 
> >She says it mainly James's voice!  HIS VOICE IS GREAT!!  Plus I think she is
> >just jealous that they (especially James's voice) are better then Queensryche.
> 
> Are you deaf?  I think James is adequate, nothing more.  Geoff's voice is ten
> times stronger.  The clincher for me was watching "Live in Tokyo" and
> "Operation:Livecrime" back to back...do it and you too will see.  James is 
> decent, but IMHO he is the least-talented member of an incredible band.  To
> hear him compared to (IMHO) the best singer in the business is blasphemous.
> At times I like Charlie better than James...especially on the Killing Hand.
> James' annoying screaming just ruins this song for me on LatM.  Does anyone
> else share this opinion, or am I alone on the Net?  Most of my friends here
> think he is rather weak also...
> 
well i don't know who is better, but i was kind of dissappointed in some of 
the singing in the tokyo vid myself. i did like LATM though.
> Adam.
> email_address_removed |"Father William saved her from the streets
>                    | She drank the lifeblood from the saviors feet
> Queensryche  -->   | She's Sister Mary now, with eyes as cold as ice
> Operation:Mindcrime| He takes her once a week on the altar like a sacrifice."
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Dec 93 23:32:56 PST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: The Beyond

> 
> I know some of you don't like to talk about other bands, but I just dubbed
> the album _Crawl_, by the Beyond, and I think it's one of the best progressive
> metal albums I've ever heard.  Does anyone know anything at all about this
> band?  Do they have any other albums?  If anyone sees this album anywhere, 
> BUY IT (and let me know, 'cause I can't find it!)
> 
> Steve
> email_address_removed
> 
what's it like? which band do they sound like? what is it like compared to
DT?
. 
email me personally to [email-masked]
. 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 00:24:26 -0800 (PST)
From: "Paul W. Cashman" <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re: Geoff vs James

> decent, but IMHO he is the least-talented member of an incredible band.  To
> hear him compared to (IMHO) the best singer in the business is blasphemous.
> At times I like Charlie better than James...especially on the Killing Hand.
> James' annoying screaming just ruins this song for me on LatM.  Does anyone
> else share this opinion, or am I alone on the Net?  Most of my friends here
> think he is rather weak also...

I don't think he's a weak singer, and I like James' voice more than
Charlie's, but IMHO his screeching high notes live is the only thing
standing between DT and a really stellar stage presence.  

Geoff is the better singer, no question that he appears to have a
wider range, but I do like James also.

-- 
Once you're touched you stand alone  |     Paul W. Cashman  
To face the bitter fight             |     email_address_removed
Once I reached for love              |     Dream Theater 
And now I reach for life             | <-  "Learning to Live"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1993 03:49:49 -0500 (EST)
From: email_address_removed
Subject: Re: Re:YTSEJAM digest 254

To the guy who was certain that LTL wasn't about AIDS, it is!  Members of the
band have stated this.  Reread the lyrics yourself, think "Learning to live
with a terminal disease". . .

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 10:59:09 +0100 (MET)
From: Thomas Jansson <email_address_removed.se>
Subject: Re: Geoff vs James (vs Charlie...)

> Jason Hartman wrote:
> 
> >She says it mainly James's voice!  HIS VOICE IS GREAT!!  Plus I think she is
> >just jealous that they (especially James's voice) are better then Queensryche.
> 

> At times I like Charlie better than James...especially on the Killing Hand.
> James' annoying screaming just ruins this song for me on LatM.  Does anyone
> else share this opinion, or am I alone on the Net?  Most of my friends here
> think he is rather weak also...
> 
> Adam.

I agree that James ruins the Killing Hand, and even parts of other songs
on that album. However, when I went to see DT last time I was impressed
that James singing was so good. He sang quite good actually.
But... He has not got the same rhythm feeling Charlie has. For example,
he got lost in Only a Matter of Time (the suncopated rhythm during the
"when dream and day unite" section). I don`t think James ever is going
to sing The ones who help to set the sun right. 
AND! James had five pages of "cheating lyrics" for Afterlife and Only
a matter of Time lying on the stage floor...

  /Thomas Jansson

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 06:28:39 -0500 (EST)
From: email_address_removed (Steve Mansfield)
Subject: Re: Geoff vs James

> Are you deaf?  I think James is adequate, nothing more.  Geoff's voice is ten
> times stronger.  The clincher for me was watching "Live in Tokyo" and

I have to disagree.  While I *do* agree that Geoff's voice is better, I
souldn't say that it's by *that* much.

> "Operation:Livecrime" back to back...do it and you too will see.  James is 
> decent, but IMHO he is the least-talented member of an incredible band.  To

I would agree with that, but not to take away from his ability.  It's
just that the rest of the band are just *that* great.

> hear him compared to (IMHO) the best singer in the business is blasphemous.

Hardly.

> At times I like Charlie better than James...especially on the Killing Hand.

Here I have to seriously disagree.  The Killing Hand is the only song on
WDADU where I like his singing at all, and having heard James sing it
several times live, I have to say I like James' rendition *much* better.

> James' annoying screaming just ruins this song for me on LatM.  Does anyone
> else share this opinion, or am I alone on the Net?  Most of my friends here
> think he is rather weak also...

While I doubt you're alone, you're also probably in the minority.  Shit
happens.  8-)

Steve Mansfield  | Once you're touched you stand alone to face the bitter fight
email_address_removed | Once I reached for love but now I reach for life.
Dream Theater - Learning to Live

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 06:44:25 -0500 (EST)
From: email_address_removed (Steve Mansfield)
Subject: Re: ?? on Majesty

> Next up:  Majesty stuff.  All I've got from you guys through this
> thingamajig is that Majesty material is hard to get hold of.  But I'm

Somewhat, but not impossible.  I'm sure there a re a few people out there
with various bootlegs of Majesty stuff.

> guessing that DT has picked up quite a few more fans than it had in the
> old days.  So I was wondering if anybody had heard anything about material
> recorded under the name Majesty being reissued by DT's record company. 

Nope.  They changed the name as there was already a band *called*
Majesty.  All that's out there is demos and bootlegs.

> The other question:  was Portnoy in Majesty?  (It's kind of important to
> me that I know.)

Yep.  The only current member that wasn't in Majesty is James.

Steve Mansfield  | Once you're touched you stand alone to face the bitter fight
email_address_removed | Once I reached for love but now I reach for life.
Dream Theater - Learning to Live

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 06:49:24 -0500 (EST)
From: email_address_removed (Steve Mansfield)
Subject: Re: re:YTSEJAM digest 254

> Can someone compare King's X and Dream Theater for me?  I like Queensryche,
> Rush, Fates' Warning, and Extreme.  Would it follow that I like King's X? 
> Can someone describe them a bit for me (I hope this is relevent to the DT
> forum since they are supposively similar to DT).

Hmmm.  Well, they're kind of Beatles-like.  Lots of harmonics in the
vocals.  Not as heavy really.  I love them, personally.  I'd give them a
listen.  They don't sound anything like DT.

Steve Mansfield  | Once you're touched you stand alone to face the bitter fight
email_address_removed | Once I reached for love but now I reach for life.
Dream Theater - Learning to Live

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 06:57:09 -0500 (EST)
From: email_address_removed (Steve Mansfield)
Subject: Re: YTSEJAM digest 254

> Excerpts from mail: 1-Dec-93 re:YTSEJAM digest 254  by "james @bnr.ca 
> > "Waiting for Sleep" being about the death of relative of the girl in the song
> > and "Learning to Live" being about somebody dying of AIDS.
> 
>     Where'd you get the idea that its about LTL being about somebody
> dying of AIDS? It's obviously about "Learning to live". Reread the
> lyrics.

And why couldn't someone who was dying of AIDS be just now learning to
live?  Why could they have not taken their life for granted until they
discovered that it's being taken away from them by a disease that at this
point in time they have no chance of having cured?  I think *you* should
re-read the lyrics and catch all the painfully obvious references which
could easily be construed as such.
  You could be completely right, don't misunderstand.  But brushing off
one person's interpretation as stupid just because you haven't given it a
far think through is kind of silly...

There is no time for pain, no energy for anger....

Steve Mansfield  | Once you're touched you stand alone to face the bitter fight
email_address_removed | Once I reached for love but now I reach for life.
Dream Theater - Learning to Live

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 93 09:05 EST
From: email_address_removed (Pat Daugherty)
Subject: Geoff vs James -- James wins hands down

In my opinion James has the best voice in the business. Geoff's is good, but
doesn't really impress me.

--Pat Daugherty
email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 93 09:07 EST
From: email_address_removed (Pat Daugherty)
Subject: Blitzkrieg

This morning on 103.1 (Bal/DC) on Blitzkrieg (when they play 3 tiny parts of
songs together and people call in and try to identify them) Pull Me Under was
one of them and of course I recognized it immediately.

--Pat Daugherty
email_address_removed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 10:07:55 -0500
From: Martin A Hennemann <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re:  re:YTSEJAM digest 254

  Well, I was told King's X was supposed to be good, and similiar to DT.
So I bought Gretchen goes to Nebraska.  And I personally think it sucks.
However, in their defense, I talked to some people, and they said that their
older stuff is better (Nebraska was done in 89) So I dunno.  But from the
1 I heard, I didn't like it.
  Speaking of other similiar bands, someone once mentioned a group called
Saga?  Are they any good?  I ordered one of their CD's a couple days ago.
(Heads or Tales) So I guess I'll find out :)
   Chris

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 10:13:58 -0500
From: Martin A Hennemann <email_address_removed>
Subject: Re:YTSEJAM digest 254

  Umm, actualy Bill, I agree with LTL being about a fight against AIDS.  And
after rereading the lyrics, I'm more convinced.  SOme examples (feel free
to show examples against it, that's what this place is for :)
  "I wopn't give up till I've no more to give" meaning he'll fight it till
he can't anymore.  "The 90s bring new questions, [AIDS] new s9olutions to be
found [cure?].  I fell in love to be let down [He fell in love and contracted
the disease]"  Also "From a common fear that's all spread out [fear of AIDS]
It won't listen to what you say.  Once you're touched you stand alone
[discrimination against ppl with AIDS] to face the bitter fight.  Once
I reached for love, and now I reach for life"  One last example is "Through
natures inflexible grace, I'm learning to live"  Meaning, because of nature
inflicting him with the disease, he's learning to live a new life.
  I dunno, that's how I always took it. :)  Any comments?
  Chris

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 10:14:26 -0500 (EST)
From: email_address_removed (DAVID RE)
Subject: Re: Geoff vs James

> Are you deaf?  I think James is adequate, nothing more.  Geoff's voice is ten

     I have to disagree with you. As with *every* singer in the world, they
always sound better in the studio, but I thought that James sounded pretty
darn good live, which is better than I can say for Geoff on the last tour
when he tried to sing some stuff off the earlier albums.

> times stronger.  The clincher for me was watching "Live in Tokyo" and

     Live In Tokyo had some great singing on it, I'll give you that, but 
Geoff can't sing like that anymore. 

> "Operation:Livecrime" back to back...do it and you too will see.  James is 
> decent, but IMHO he is the least-talented member of an incredible band.  To

     Well, this is true, but considering the average level of talent in that
band, you'd have to be the absolute best lead singer in the world (meaning
like a 6 or so octave range, perfect tone and pitch, etc) to match up, so
I don't see that as a valid argument....

> hear him compared to (IMHO) the best singer in the business is blasphemous.

     Heh. Geoff Tate is *NOT* the best singer in the business. He's pretty
darn good, but he's not the best. And, no, this is not just my opinion. The
best singers in the business can be found on the classical circuit. Be careful
when you make sweeping generalizations, cause with music, you can encompass
a lot more than you mean to say doing such things. Now, as far as hard rock
singers go, Geoff is one of the best, but (opinion alert) I'd say that there
are better. Geoff has a hard time hitting notes live, and his voice gets all 
nosty sounding. Sometimes he even lowers stuff about two octaves and kinda
speaks them instead of singing. Probably becuase he's getting older and can't
sing as high any more. I guess that's to be expected. However, I think that
Bruce Dickinson, formerly of Iron Maiden, is a much better singer, not only
from the stand point of pitch, control, tone, and power, but also as a 
front man (crowd interaction, putting on a show, etc).

-- 
Dave Re                   |"I am your master, when you're all alone.
OIT/TS/ISD                | You can come to me child, when you're without home.
email_address_removed  | I will share your pain, of long lost dignity.
                          | Happiness evades you, you'll get no sympathy."
                          |       "Father of the Night", Crowdad
         "Heh Heh. I know where there's a dead raccoon!! Heh heh."
                       "FIRE!!!  FIRE!!! FIRE!!!"

 	 "The juggernaut that is Early Warning will CRUSH you!!!!" 

------------------------------

Date:  Thu, 2 Dec 1993 16:00:37 +0100
From: Michael Stepping <email_address_removed.d400.de>
Subject:  DT Video in Germany?

Hello German DT-Fans, are there any?

I've read all the msgs about the Live in Tokyo Video
and would like to buy one, but here in Siegen it is not available
                                                                  
Are or will it be available here ?
is  or will it be available here ?
I was in Bonn at the concert and James La Brie did mentioned it,
so I think it will be available. I WILL HAVE IT!

Gunnar

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 10:20:09 -0500 (EST)
From: email_address_removed (DAVID RE)
Subject: Re: YTSEJAM digest 254

>     Where'd you get the idea that its about LTL being about somebody
> dying of AIDS? It's obviously about "Learning to live". Reread the
> lyrics.

     Heh. Probably from the fact that John Myung, who wrote the damn thing,
was asked by someone on this list if the song was about AIDS, and John 
replied to the effect of "Wow, how'd you figure it out???" Why don't YOU
go reread the lyrics......

-- 
Dave Re                   |"I am your master, when you're all alone.
OIT/TS/ISD                | You can come to me child, when you're without home.
email_address_removed  | I will share your pain, of long lost dignity.
                          | Happiness evades you, you'll get no sympathy."
                          |       "Father of the Night", Crowdad
         "Heh Heh. I know where there's a dead raccoon!! Heh heh."
                       "FIRE!!!  FIRE!!! FIRE!!!"

 	 "The juggernaut that is Early Warning will CRUSH you!!!!" 

------------------------------
End of Digest
************************