Subject: YTSEJAM digest 249
From: email_address_removed
To: Multiple recipients of list <email_address_removed>

Contents:
Song meanings (Stephen Bajzek <[email-masked]>)
video (Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>)
DT CDs (Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>)
Dances of Eternity (Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>)
dance of eternity ([email-masked])
DT at Cardiff, The Killing Hand (email_address_removed.ac.uk)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1993 17:40:31 -0500 (EST)
From: Stephen Bajzek <[email-masked]>
Subject: Song meanings

I always thought "A Fortune in Lies" was about bands selling out, but
the gambling thing makes sense too, except for a couple things.
I think "The Killing Hand" is a story, pretty much self-explanatory,
although I could be wrong.
Then of course some songs can be summed up in one word. Pull Me Under is
about Hamlet. Light Fuse and Get Away is about sex. That's about it for
the one-worders.
What I want to know is what Under A Glass Moon, Surrounded, and
Metropolis are about. I asked this before and no one answered. Any ideas?

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1993 21:39:43 -0500 (EST)
From: Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>
Subject: video

I believe that there are several different names floating around for
the DT video.  I just purchased it today and the is marked on the
front Images & Words: Live In Tokyo.  The reciept says Music In
Progress, also according to the back, this was filmed on the "Music 
In Progress tour"  I also happen to like the description given on the
back of the video:

"You never know what to expect from Dream Theater.  Their range of
musical styles runs the gamut: from the metallic to the melodic to the
epic"  and then "Here is their riviting live performances as it was
captured in Tokyo, Japan during their 1993 "Music in Progress" world
tour.  Also included are their stunning videos plis interviews with
the band and home video footage that takes you behind the scenes on
their first world tour, the making of their album and videos and much
more."

As far as the video itelf, it has live:
Under A Glass Moon
Wait For Sleep
Surrounded
YTSEJAM
To Live Forever
A Fortune In Lies
Take The Time
Pull Me Under

video clips:  PMU, Take The Time, Another Day

Also, on the part of videos, after watching the Another Day video, I
was outraged enough to decide to write to the wonderful people at
MTV.COM  to ask about them killing DT.  I TRIED to be as kind and
polite as possible, as I hope to get a response.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1993 21:43:11 -0500 (EST)
From: Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>
Subject: DT CDs

I am also very happy to say that I have gotten the Dances Of Eternity
CDs today ($45).  I can't wait to hear it, as soon as I finish
watching the video.  If anyone out there would like to make a trade,
please write me.  I have the following:
CD:	Dances Of Eternity
	Consciously Unreal
	Live At The Marquee (Japan)
	I&W
	WDADU (German)

Tape:	Majesty Demos
	Buffalo 
	Wash D.C. (The Bayou)

************************************************************************
*	This world is spinning around me			       *
*	The whole world keeps spinning around me		       *
*	All life is future to past				       *
*	Every breath leaves me one less to my last		       *
*	Dream Theater	    Pull Me Under   	Images and Words       *
*	Michael Burstin			     Brandeis University       *
************************************************************************
*  Let's Go Pens   Let's Go Pens	 Lets Go Pens	 Let's Go Pens *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1993 23:34:34 -0500 (EST)
From: Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>
Subject: Dances of Eternity

Hi, sorry to keep taking up so much space in this issue, but I keep
listening to more new stuff, and love it more and more!!!!!!!!!!!!

(To Live) Forever sounds so great with James singing it!  Much, MUCH
better than Dominici.  Change of Season is great!  It just keeps on
going and going.  Also, I like the beginning to Pull Me Under that is
on the second disc of DoE.  I was wondering if anyone has seen them do
it before.  It starts out with mysterious calm music, with someone
telling a story.  Really sounds good.  Also, as far as the CD quality
goes, I think that this is one of the best sounding import CD that I
have ever heard.  Sounds awsome.  Can't wait to hear some more new
stuff, or perferably their new CD.  

************************************************************************
*		Before the leaves have fallen			       *
*		Before we lock the doors			       *
*		There must be a third and last dance		       *
*		This one will last forever			       *
*	Dream Theater	Metropolis (part 1)	Images and Words       *
*	Michael Burstin			     Brandeis University       *
************************************************************************
*  Let's Go Pens   Let's Go Pens	 Lets Go Pens	 Let's Go Pens *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Nov 93 23:18:37 PST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: dance of eternity

ok, i MUST have this boot on cd. here in vancouver i couldn't even get WDADU
and LaM, in my local import stores, so i know i won't be able to find it there
. where did you guys get this cd? record shows? or are you just lucky to have
an importer who has DT stuff? i'm not so lucky :( ::::: (tears running donw
down my face)
does anyone know of a mailorder place where i can get it?
or is anyone willing to copy theirs for me.
mail me if you would be so kind. (i don't have dt boots, but have quite a few
metallica, if anyone is interested)
thanx again

(you can read my first name as Tim) :)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 93 12:09:35 GMT
From: email_address_removed.ac.uk
Subject: DT at Cardiff, The Killing Hand

Hi,

  Dt played Cardiff last night, their first gig in the UK leg of the tour.
As expected, they did their usual faultless performance.  Unfortunately
there was only about 350 people in the audience, out of a capacity of
2000.  This made the atmosphere a bit subdued, but the band still put
on one hell of a show.
   The only gripe was that the vocals were a bit low, almost drowned
out by the rest of the group in some songs.
   They played all of I&W, some of WDADU, plus To Live Forever and a
couple of extended intrumentals, which may well have been improvised
jams.  Totally awesome!

  Changing subject:  Someone asked what The Killing Hand is all about.
All I know about it is what Mike Portnoy said in the interview last
April, which is that it's based on a short Sci-Fi story by John Petrucci
(unpublished).  It's something about a guy who stands in front of a wall
of names - rather like the vietnam vet memorial, and wonders how all these
people came to die.  Who killed them all?  Then somehow he's taken back
in time to the place where the event happened, and finds out that *he*
causes the incident that made everyone die, whether by accident or purpose
it's not clear. So he realises that HE is the Killing Hand, and his name
appears on the wall as well.  If anyone knows more details, or even has a
copy of the story, I'd love to know more...

    Paul May, University of Bristol, UK

------------------------------
End of Digest
************************