Subject: YTSEJAM digest 247
From: email_address_removed
To: Multiple recipients of list <email_address_removed>

Contents:
video (Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>)
 (email_address_removed.ac.uk)
UK Tour Dates (email_address_removed.AC.UK)
dt video! (hartman larry <email_address_removed>)
A DT Concert (Thomas Jansson <email_address_removed.se>)
Dream Theater Promo Fiasco (Anthony Chavez <email_address_removed>)
Live in Tokyo ("Michael E. Patrick" <email_address_removed>)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1993 20:14:59 -0500 (EST)
From: Michael Burstin <email_address_removed>
Subject: video

Hi there. 

I was just wondering (actually wanted to make sure) if the name of the
live video is just Images and Words.  I called a store here in Boston
(Newbury Comics) and they have a DT video (that they are holding for
me) that is called I&W.  I assume that this is the live one, as I have
heard no mention of another video.  They have the video for only
$16.99!!!  That's less than I have seen some CDs sell for at home, and
the cheapest video that I have ever seen.  Could someone verify that
this is the name.  If not, does anyone know what this video is? Either
mail me or YTSEJAM.

************************************************************************
*		Chase the water racing from the sky 		       *
*		Always beside me				       *
*		Taste the memories running from my eyes		       *
*		Nervous flashlights scan my dreams		       *
*		Liquid shadows silence their screams		       *
*	Dream Theater	Under A Glass Moon	Images and Words       *
*	Michael Burstin			     Brandeis University       *
************************************************************************
*  Let's Go Pens   Let's Go Pens	 Lets Go Pens	 Let's Go Pens *
************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 93 09:17:19 GMT
From: email_address_removed.ac.uk
Subject: 

In last issue Bill Bajzek asked:

 > What do they mean buy "ride the red" and "siren song"?

Fortune in Lies was written about one of their friends a while ago
who 'got into a bit of trouble, stole a lot of stuff.' (Quote from
the interview Mike Portnoy gave in the UK last April).  The exact
details of this aren't clear, but my *guess* is that the friend
got into gambling in a big way (ride the red = roulette term),
couldn't escape his addiction (he kept hearing the 'siren song'
of the roulette table), and eventually ended up in prison (hence the
sampled noises of inmates taken from a documentary in the instrumental
section).  The Fortune in lies, I assume, refers to the money he
made (or lost), and his habit of borrowing money from friends with
promises they'd get it back.  'Keeping a giant alive' is more difficult.
I think it may refer to the gambling habit, the giant being a monster
that needs to be kept under control, or destroyed, but which the guy
allowed to control him instead.

    Just my ideas, any comments?

Paul May, University of Bristol, UK

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 NOV 93 11:20:44 GMT
From: email_address_removed.AC.UK
Subject: UK Tour Dates

Can someone please post the UK dates for November??

Also, are they coming back in December at all?

Steve Bajcek - I've been off work with flu, so I shouldn't be too long with them now!  Also.. Do you want the video in PAL or NTSC???

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1993 09:32:12 -0500 (EST)
From: hartman larry <email_address_removed>
Subject: dt video!

Electronic mail can't begin to express my thoughts and feelings on the new 
Dream Theater video but here is my best try...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could have taken up pages but I didn't wanna fill up your mail boxes.

I love this vid!!  Now I gotta get a TV and hifi VCR are in my room so I can 
watch it whenever I want!!  

3 words for ya - KEVIN AUTOGRAPHS BREASTS!!!!!   Thats was histarical!

For once you can actually here John Myung and his bass!  I was hoping that they
would do something really long and cool like Metropolis or Learning to Live.
The Killing Hand would have also been good.  I personally don't think that 
Pull Me Under was a good song to close with.  Its not one of there better songs
and its certainly not there best.  My vote probably goes to Take the Time.

For the guy in the last digest that was wondering about Mikes snare being 
electric on the album but regular in the studio...
He did use an eletric on the album and I believe that he was "triggering" the
sound from a trigger attatched to his snare.  I'm not sure why we were hering
a real snare.  Possibly because the guy with the camcorder was in the room 
or just picking up the sounds from the drumset.  The triggered sound was 
probably only running through the mixing board.

We'll I gotta go and watch my video again!  I love the guitar solo at the end
of To Live Forever...

Jason Hartman

"I am the Killing Hand!"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1993 15:52:59 +0100 (MET)
From: Thomas Jansson <email_address_removed.se>
Subject: A DT Concert

Hi everybody!

I thought I could tell you about a great concert in Malmo, Sweden, Oct 28.
Because of the fact that DT are not so big here in Sweden, the crowd wasn`t
larger than about 100 persons. However the band did a great job, and the
sound was good too. 

They played all the songs from I&W, and three from WDADU (Afterlife, Only
A Matter Of Time and Ytsejam). They also played To Live Forever, Eve, Moon
Bubbles, Puppies On Acid, Barf Bag, March of the Tyrant (an old Majesty
song) and the Mission Impossible Theme.

I was standing at a very good position (in fact, I guess I had the best),
right in front of John Petrucci (zero meters). This way I could see what
was lying on the stagefloor - five A4 pages of text - the lyrics to 
Afterlife and Only A Matter Of Time... James LaBrie had to look down on
these notes several times. Sometimes he even got lost on the rhythm
(especially in Only A Matter of Time - the "when dream and day unite" 
section...). Shouldn`t James know these songs by know? However his
singing was overall better than LATM (no so many high pitched screams...)

After the show I had a chance to talk with them. They told me they are
going to start record a new studio album in the beginning of -94. They
even said that "Bombay Vindaloo" was all jamming, except for Johns bass
line in the beginning of the song.

  /Thomas Jansson, email_address_removed.se

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1993 12:57:16 -0700 (MST)
From: Anthony Chavez <email_address_removed>
Subject: Dream Theater Promo Fiasco

When do we find out who won in the Promo contest?  I'm excited to know if I
made it or not... and I'm sure everyone else who entered is as well =)

anthony

------------------------------

Date: 18 Nov 93 21:45:46 EST
From: "Michael E. Patrick" <email_address_removed>
Subject: Live in Tokyo

Don't be suprised is you can't get the video right away.  I called a huge 
local record store chain, and they only got one copy - and I reserved it.  
It doesn't sound like there are that many floating around out there.

Mike

------------------------------
End of Digest
************************